Professional Web Applications Themes

JET to Holly; Roland Print & Cut - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Holly, Are you using the Roland Color Choice software that came with the device to send your files to the Roland? Did you install Roland's color swatch library in Illustrator's Presets/Swatches folder? If the answer to both questions is yes, this is the way it works on my device: 1. In Illustrator, apply a small stroke weight to the path that you want to serve as the cut path. (I think Roland recommends .02", but I usually just select .25 pt from Illustrator's Stroke Palette, and it seems to work fine). 2. Swatches Palette Flyout Menu: Open Swatch Library>ColorCamm. Select ...

  1. #1

    Default JET to Holly; Roland Print & Cut

    Holly,

    Are you using the Roland Color Choice software that came with the device to send your files to the Roland?

    Did you install Roland's color swatch library in Illustrator's Presets/Swatches folder?

    If the answer to both questions is yes, this is the way it works on my device:

    1. In Illustrator, apply a small stroke weight to the path that you want to serve as the cut path. (I think Roland recommends .02", but I usually just select .25 pt from Illustrator's Stroke Palette, and it seems to work fine).

    2. Swatches Palette Flyout Menu: Open Swatch Library>ColorCamm. Select the colors you want in this library to add them to the Swatches palette of the active doent.

    3. Apply Roland's CutContour swatch to the path you want to cut.

    4. Save the file as an Illustrator file, version 8.

    5. Launch Roland Color Choice. Drag the AI file into its quque window. Send it to the device per Roland's instructions.

    JET
    James_Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: JET to Holly; Roland Print & Cut

    Thanks for the info...I'm printing AND cutting, so that's good news. Now my issue is the "pixelization" that is happening to my images. When I print to a color laser printer, I have excellent results. When I print to the Roland, it is very pixelated. The images are of good resolution, and I tried different formats, and changing from RGB to YMCK....Any ideas on this one?
    Holly_Easterling@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Any ideas on this one?

    I'm not sure if the results that you find unacceptable are something wrong or just the natural limitation of the PC600.

    This device uses ribbons, correct? That is, it's a ColorCamm, not a Versa Camm or one of the other inkjet devices?

    If so, understand; the printer is laying down color much like a dot-matrix printer would, by actually impacting a ribbon. It's limited to the hardware resolution of the printer. So its halftone pattern or dithering is probably going to look more co than a typical laser printer.

    Did you get any sample prints with the printer when you bought it, to indicate expected results?

    Also, you still haven't told me if you are printing/cutting through the ColorChoice software, or if you are using the AI plug in.

    Are we talking about raster images here or vector objects?

    JET
    James_E._Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    There are sample images that come with the Roland software, which we have printed, and they look great. The images we print aren't so great. I see what you're saying about the PC600's print limitation, but that's what we need to print to vinyl labels. We can't use a standard color laser or inkjet. Perhaps there is a better quality Roland than the one we have. ?

    As far as printing, we print directly from Adobe Illustrator. When we print from Illustrator to the Roland, the Roland Colorchoice window shows the spooling progress.

    Raster? Vector? I couldn't tell you. We are not graphics people, so I honestly don't have a clue. If you can educate me, I'm all ears.
    Holly_Easterling@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    There are sample images that come with the Roland software, which we have
    printed, and they look great.

    Are you saying Roland provided sample files which you have printed on your own device with good results? If so, then the problem with your other files is probably not the device, but something about the way you are buiding the files or the way you have the device or its software set up. That's what we needed to know; whether your expectations are realistic for the device you are using.

    I see what you're saying about the PC600's print limitation, but that's
    what we need to print to vinyl labels. We can't use a standard color laser
    or inkjet.

    I understand. I wasn't suggesting you are using the wrong device. I was just trying to make sure your expectations are commensurate with the capabilities of the device. You were comparing the output to that from a color laser printer. It's difficult to know what you mean by "pixelated" without seeing the results or knowing anything about the content of the AI file.

    The images we print aren't so great.

    You have said they are "pixelated." This suggests you have your doent raster effects settings (Effects menu) set too low. But you have also said your graphics print fine to a color laser printer.

    So that suggests the two devices are using entirely different imaging technologies (quite possible). For example, one device may be printing using halftones and the other may be printing with diffusion dither (FM screening, or stochastic screening). I don't have the Roland software at the location where I am right now, but if memory serves, you have a choice of screening methods.

    Check the Roland doentation to see if the Color Choice software has optional settings for screening methods. Look for references to things like halftoning, pattern screening, diffusion dither, etc. You probably want to use diffusion dithering (or whatever term they use for it.)

    As far as printing, we print directly from Adobe Illustrator.

    What version of AI are you using? Have you checked to make sure the Color Choice software is supposed to be compatible with the version of AI you are using? (Such things often lag behind the current host software by a version or two).

    Have you tried sending a file to the device the way I initially described? Save the file as Illustrator 8. Launch the Color Choice software separately. Drag the Illustrator file into the Color Choice quque window. Send it to the printer. See if the results are any different.

    Raster? Vector? I couldn't tell you. We are not graphics people...

    Well, Holly, I hate to break it to you, but you are now. ;-)

    Beyond that, without seeing the results you are getting; and having some idea of the content of the file you are printing, It's difficult to advise. You may need to contact Roland, or visit a user forum for Roland device users.

    While testing things to get your setup right, be sure to always be comparing apples to apples. Go ahead and set your Doent Raster Effects Settings in Illustrator's Effects menu to 150 ppi. Create a simple test file containing: a text object; a raster image (a photo you've imported) of at least about 150 pixels-per-inch at print size; and a vector path (shapes you draw in Illustrator or two. Don't add anything to complicate or confuse the issue (transparency effects, drop shadows, etc.). Then use that same test file in your experiments and comparisons.