Professional Web Applications Themes

JPEG to jpg??? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Hi I've just purchased a jpeg cruncher, BUT it saves all the images with an Upper case JPEG extension. I need it to save as a Lower Case but I don't know how to do this in adobe. I've tried saving a copy but this just reverts the the size prior to cruching. Please help. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default JPEG to jpg???

    Hi

    I've just purchased a jpeg cruncher, BUT it saves all the images with an Upper case JPEG extension. I need it to save as a Lower Case but I don't know how to do this in adobe. I've tried saving a copy but this just reverts the the size prior to cruching.

    Please help.

    Thanks
    Sarah Mahoney Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: JPEG to jpg???

    also see if jpeg cruncher has an option to change the extention within the program. i bet it does. or it should! :)
    dave milbut Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry, JPEG and jpeg are the same as far as I can tell. You can check the box "use lower case extensions" in photoshop if you want it save in lower case but I don't see how that changes the size any. I just use the slider to save it as a small or large file.
    I think I read the first question ok, I guess I just don't see that JPEG and jpeg are different; they're the same.
    Michael B. Field Guest

  4. #4

    OK. Just rename the file "whatever.jpeg". Problem solved. What I meant by preferences, file handling is...If you go to adobe toolbar/edit/preferences/file handeling...choose lower case extensions..., jpeg's should always be saved as lower case. Or. Just click or unclick the box when you save as.
    OK Colin, I assumed that jpeg cruncher changes the size of a jpeg and thats what I thought "reverts the size" referred to. In any case(Pardon the pun), I think the question is poorly worded. I guess size does matter. Don't crunch jpegs, it's degrading and it hurts.
    Michael B. Field Guest

  5. #5

    There are several "renamer" programs that will let you mark and rename files in bulk. Try [url]www.download.com[/url] and search for file rename.

    RENAMER 6 does have a box to check to make it case sensitive. I think THE RENAME does too.

    Bill
    Bill Lamp Guest

  6. #6

    I'm just curious what advantage a (presumably) third-party "cruncher" does that ImageReady can't? And in ImageReady, you can choose upper- or lower-case extensions.
    Nona Pearson Guest

  7. #7

    BUT it saves all the images with an Upper case JPEG

    sarah says she's saving FROM jpeg cruncher, not PS. i said for her to check the options for that program, assuming it's not a PS plug in. The way I read it, it sounds like seperate app as in stand alone, maybe I'm wrong.

    If it's stand alone, i suggested looking in THAT application to change the name of the extention. Otherwise, it's correct to say that the extention saving can be controlled from within the PS prefrences, or, barring that (don't want to resave over a jpg) the files can be renamed from *.jpeg to *.jpg with a 3rd party renamer or manually.

    dave
    dave milbut Guest

  8. #8

    Ironic in a way; the JPEG cruncher make file size smaller while making file name bigger (by making caps).

    Sigh...
    YrbkMgr Guest

  9. #9

    You can also open a DOS (!!!) window and type the following command in the directory holding the .JPEG files:

    rename *.JPEG *.jpeg

    That will rename all files with an uppercase extension. It ain't elegant, but it works.
    John Woram Guest

  10. #10

    DOS does batches better.

    And taking it a step further, RENAME *.JPEG *.jpg and loose all the extra e's.

    But on any set, it would be safer to work on COPIES in a seperate directory.

    You can write a DOS BATCH file to do it automatically. I just checked. COPYCON is gone unless I boot in DOS 6.22 (YES a DUAL boot machine).

    Use notepad.

    Type in the one line you need. Either RENAME *.JPEG *.jpeg
    OR
    RENAME *.JPEG *.jpg

    SAVE AS something like smallext.bat and for type of file, pick MSDOS TEXT. Save it TO/IN the folder where you are going to do the renaming.

    When you put files ending in .JPEG in the folder and double click on the .BAT file, it will automatically run and rename the files

    Bill
    Bill Lamp Guest