Professional Web Applications Themes

JPG output of Elements causes crash of the Canon PhotoRecord program - Adobe Photoshop Elements

When I attempt to read in a JPG file saved by PhotoShop Elements into my Canon PhotoRecord program (a great little program for producing printable photo albums), the program crashes. If I read the same JPG file into Serif PhotoPlus and re-save it as a JPG, the Canon program works fine. There is some bug in the JPG format produced by PhotoShop Elements. The crashes happen regardless of the size of the file. Is there some way to tell the Adobe tech support people about this? Thanks for any help! Linda Day [email]ldaydaycreative.com[/email]...

  1. #1

    Default JPG output of Elements causes crash of the Canon PhotoRecord program

    When I attempt to read in a JPG file saved by PhotoShop Elements into my Canon PhotoRecord program (a great little program for producing printable photo albums), the program crashes. If I read the same JPG file into Serif PhotoPlus and re-save it as a JPG, the Canon program works fine.

    There is some bug in the JPG format produced by PhotoShop Elements. The crashes happen regardless of the size of the file.

    Is there some way to tell the Adobe tech support people about this?

    Thanks for any help!

    Linda Day
    [email]ldaydaycreative.com[/email]
    Linda Day Guest

  2. #2

    Linda,

    You need to save your files in JPEG using the Save For Web... feature. This
    will ensure a greater compatibility with other softwares.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  3. #3

    THanks! That worked.

    Linda
    Linda Day Guest

  4. #4

    I think it has to do with the fact that Elements puts something in the
    header information of a file, which isn't present with the option Save For
    Web. In any case, glad it worked :)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  5. #5

    Did some poking around with my hex editor again. Found that a JPEG saved "normally" retains the Exif data from the camera, albeit moved a few bytes to accomodate a proper JFIF header, and contains a thumbnail image.

    The "Save for Web..." option, strips the Exif data and does not contain a thumbnail internal to the file.

    The size difference between the two, using best possible options (JPEG maximum, 100% quality) resulted in files that were not very different in file size, mostly accounted for by the Exif data and thumbnail.

    Hope this helps somebody.

    Kyle
    Kyle White Guest

  6. #6

    Kyle,

    That's interesting to know. I've always wonder precisely what made the
    difference between those two modes. Thanks !

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Ray,

    I've been looking at the insides of files for years. One of the first shareware/freeware apps I looked for, when I got my Mac in February, was a hex editor.

    You find all sorts of weirdlies in files. For instance, the Web version of the JPEG has the word "Ducky" in the header. Ducky? Wha? Some programmer at Adobe has a sense of humour!

    TTFN
    Kyle
    Kyle White Guest

  8. #8

    Kyle... Ducky is a top secret thing. You should not have revealed this
    here. Humans are not ready for this :)

    (kidding..)

    I've seen worse... Comment in a program file : "This program does
    something", now that's reassuring! It's not on my hard drive for no reason
    :)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  9. #9