Professional Web Applications Themes

Just a small 3D project I have completed - Macromedia Director 3D

Here you are: www.ziggi.pl/other/abg The interface is pretty self-explanatory (it's in Polish language): bottom bar buttons will send you to HTML pages - only far right "POWROT" button is providing universal "BACK" feature. I think lightmaps are pretty nice :-) Rgs, Ziggi...

  1. #1

    Default Just a small 3D project I have completed

    Here you are:

    www.ziggi.pl/other/abg

    The interface is pretty self-explanatory (it's in Polish language):

    bottom bar buttons will send you to HTML pages - only far right "POWROT"
    button is providing universal "BACK" feature.

    I think lightmaps are pretty nice :-)

    Rgs,
    Ziggi
    Ziggi Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Just a small 3D project I have completed

    hey... thats nice... i love this clean color scheme... :)
    mziskandar Guest

  3. #3

    Very nice Ziggi.

    regards
    Dean

    Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
    http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
    http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
    email: edu.au

    Dean Guest

  4. #4

    I agree. Nicely done.

    Are the scrolling text panes part of the 3D world or are you sliding 2D sprites over the 3D sprite?
    Production Guest

  5. #5

    Production Monkey wrote:

    All the visual stuff is inside 3D castmember for performance reason.

    BTW - the frustrating downside of 3D in Director is missing overlays
    mouse interactivity. The workaround is to make 3D member direct-to-stage
    and set some normal (2D) sprites in higher numbered sprite channels.
    They can capture mouse events and steer 3D overlays underneath. But this
    is a bit confusing and unnecessary. The best of all would be to
    implement real interactive overlays withing 3D castmember in the next
    realease of Director. I would say: interactive overlays hoding user data
    as regular 3D objects. That would simplify coding a lot !!!

    This is my contribution to Director wishlist. What is your opinion on
    the subject?

    Please notice - overlays have a great advantage over plane meshes in
    case of presenting visual information: they do not need any mipmapping
    or filtering to render textures properly, they remain unaffected by
    camera's field of view (perspective distortion). They only disadvantage
    is missing mouse interactivity in fact, what makes it difficult to code
    intefaces.

    Rgs,
    Ziggi
    Ziggi Guest

  6. #6

    Interesting. The text is very sharp, so I thought perhaps you were up to
    something.

    I would have taken a different approach to mouse interactivity. I have created
    cascading menus inside 3D sprites using overlays, and mouse interactivity was
    handled by monitoring the mouse position using a timeout object.

    I'm not saying that technique is better than your solution. It is just how I
    handle situations when Director does not provide an event for the....err..
    event I want to capture.. Now that I think about it, one could create a
    generalized 3D event object that enables other events to register with it, as
    in "addEventListener()".

    Hmmm. May have to give that some thought when I have some time.

    Production Guest

  7. #7

    Hi !

    You know - I am also not saying your solution is better or worse but I
    am just sensitising you on production efficiency:

    1) Hotspots positons/sizes/shapes may be adjusted frequently due to
    customer changing his/her mind.

    2) Hotspots may be animated or change size and shape dynamically

    3) Hotspots may be constrained to some objects and these objects may
    also be animated and changes size/shape

    etc.

    All these factors promote regular sprites being used on top of DTS 3D
    castmember - you have all C++ native mechanisms to control them and in
    authring you may switch DTS off and controll all the staff manually and
    inspect visually what speeds-up development process.

    I would say your solution is perfect for standardized interface elements
    like drop-down lists or cascading, code-generated menus.

    My solution is better for non-standard or "custom" interface elements.

    Regards,
    Ziggi

    Ziggi Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks Ziggi. I'll keep that in mind if I ever do another 3D Director project.
    Production Guest

  9. #9

    Agreed - overlay mouse detection - even using buttons etc. would be great. I've
    had similar conversations with engineering several times. In past i've used
    lingo to convert mouseposition to align and create interaction the old
    fashioned way - the problem is that a tiny tweak in the layout makes tons of
    extra work.

    --Allen

    Allen_Partridge Guest