Professional Web Applications Themes

Just bought SuSE 8.2 Professional and can't install on 3ware IDE RAID. Please help! - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I just bought SuSE 8.2 Professional, and I am disappointed to find that I cannot seem to be able to install it. Please pardon my frustration, and I do not want to insult any users of SuSE, and I'm sure they can help me resolve this problem, but I don't like paying $80 for software which I can't use and likely can't return to the store. Perhaps some SuSE experts can take pity on my ignorance and help me out of this bind. To begin with, I should note that I have successfully installed Red Hat 9 on the system, ...

  1. #1

    Default Just bought SuSE 8.2 Professional and can't install on 3ware IDE RAID. Please help!

    I just bought SuSE 8.2 Professional, and I am disappointed to find
    that I cannot seem to be able to install it. Please pardon my
    frustration, and I do not want to insult any users of SuSE, and I'm
    sure they can help me resolve this problem, but I don't like paying
    $80 for software which I can't use and likely can't return to the
    store.

    Perhaps some SuSE experts can take pity on my ignorance and help me
    out of this bind.

    To begin with, I should note that I have successfully installed Red
    Hat 9 on the system, with absolutely no trouble, and it also boots
    with no trouble, so I'm quite certain that this is not a hardware
    fault.

    Here is my hardware:

    - Athlon XP 2800+
    - 1 gig of PC2700
    - Abit KD7 motherboard
    - Lite-On CDROM
    - Intel 10/100 ethernet (apparently, there's a ReakTek on the KD7
    also)
    - Radeon 9000

    And the hardware that is being the stumbling block:

    - 3ware Escalade 7000-2
    - Two WD 120GB special edition drives
    - Mirrored RAID configuration

    These are my only hard disks in the system.

    When I attempt to do the usual install, SuSE does not recognize that I
    have any hard drives, so I elected to do the Manual Install so that I
    could manually tell it to load the 3ware driver. When it's doing
    that, I press Alt-F4 so as to view the console messages, and these are
    the relevant ones:

    3ware Storage Controller device driver for Linux v1.02.00.031.
    scsi0 : Found a 3ware Storage Controller at 0xc400, IRQ: 11, P-chip
    1.3
    scsi0 : 3ware Storage Controller
    blk: queue c1eef614, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
    3w-x: scsi0: Unit #0: Command (c1eef800) times out, resetting card.
    3w-x: scsi0: Unit #0: Command (c1eef800) times out, resetting card.
    3w-x: scsi0: Reset succeeded.
    3w-x: scsi0: Unit #0: Command (c1eef800) times out, resetting card.
    scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after
    host reset: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0

    Any help that SuSE users can offer would be most appreciated. Thanks!
    Timothy Miller Guest

  2. #2

    Don't you buy something like a 60 day installation support with the
    distribution? Maybe you can just call the SuSE experts themselves to
    solve your problem.

    TTN

    Thomas T. Newman Guest

  3. #3

    In article <80eae8c5.0307121435.36460e34posting.google.com >,
    Timothy Miller wrote:
    > I just bought SuSE 8.2 Professional, and I am disappointed to find
    > that I cannot seem to be able to install it. Please pardon my
    > frustration, and I do not want to insult any users of SuSE, and I'm
    > sure they can help me resolve this problem, but I don't like paying
    > $80 for software which I can't use and likely can't return to the
    > store.
    >
    > Perhaps some SuSE experts can take pity on my ignorance and help me
    > out of this bind.
    Go to 3ware's site and get the drivers.
    Matt H Guest

  4. #4

    Timothy Miller <theosibhotmail.com> wrote:
    > Matt H <nntpcox.net> wrote in message news:<slrnbh1ii9.nef.nntpdistraction.ath.cx>...
    >> In article <80eae8c5.0307121435.36460e34posting.google.com >,
    >> Timothy Miller wrote:
    >> > I just bought SuSE 8.2 Professional, and I am disappointed to find
    >> > that I cannot seem to be able to install it. Please pardon my
    >> > frustration, and I do not want to insult any users of SuSE, and I'm
    >> > sure they can help me resolve this problem, but I don't like paying
    >> > $80 for software which I can't use and likely can't return to the
    >> > store.
    >> >
    >> > Perhaps some SuSE experts can take pity on my ignorance and help me
    >> > out of this bind.
    >>
    >> Go to 3ware's site and get the drivers.
    > It's kinda difficult to install drivers when you can't get the OS
    > installed in the first place.
    Then install it on something else first, but you're not going to be
    able to ever install it on a medium without drivers for that medium.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  5. #5

    Timothy Miller wrote:
    > "Thomas T. Newman" <thomastnewman> wrote in message news:<beq68c$som$00$2news.t-online.com>...
    >
    >>Don't you buy something like a 60 day installation support with the
    >>distribution? Maybe you can just call the SuSE experts themselves to
    >>solve your problem.
    >>
    >>TTN
    >

    > According to their web site, the 60 day support only applies to
    > certain things. Installing on IDE-RAID systems is specifically listed
    > under the column of things that you have to pay $40 incident support
    > for.
    While techincally correct, I have found that submitting an issue
    never hurts, and SuSE has helped me out via email with ideas
    when I was messing around with my raid controller... even though
    it's not supported on the default installation support.

    Give them a try.

    Chris Cox Guest