Professional Web Applications Themes

just finished install - FreeBSD

Hello All, I just finished installing fbsd for the 8th time. I just want to get it up and running so I can start learning to use it . I have not gotten X to work yet on the bsd box yet....except when I used an old 4MB card. But X was too slow. Here is my setup now: My main computer is WinXP (because the rest of the family uses it). It is connected to Adelphia cable modem via a D-Link, DI-524 wireless router. My Daughter is connected to internet via the WLAN. My freeBSD box is connected to ...

  1. #1

    Default just finished install

    Hello All,
    I just finished installing fbsd for the 8th time. I just want to get it up and running so I can start learning to use it . I have not gotten X to work yet on the bsd box yet....except when I used an old 4MB card. But X was too slow. Here is my setup now:
    My main computer is WinXP (because the rest of the family uses it). It is connected to Adelphia cable modem via a D-Link, DI-524 wireless router. My Daughter is connected to internet via the WLAN. My freeBSD box is connected to modem via a crossover cable. bsd box has 96MB of RAM, Riva-TNT 16MB videocard on a intel 440 EX MoBo.
    I was going to use the bsd box as a router/firewall, but i don't know enough yet...so it is just a stand alone station. My problem right now is that I want to be able to see the rest of the network from the bsd box. I cannot ping the other 2 machines. And without X, I am not sure what to use to see if I am hitting internet with it. Yeah...I know i'm a newbie.
    any thoughts
    Francis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: just finished install

    Hello, Francis

    Okay, first of all ... if you are connecting the BSD machine to the
    cable modem directly, it is natural that you can not see the rest of
    your local area network (assuming I understand you correctly).

    What you want is to connect the BSD box to a hub (without the crossover
    cable, obviously). The other computers, then, are connected to that hub
    either via ethernet cable or via wireless.

    Second, you are probably having issues with X because of the video card.
    My suspicion is that you don't have a driver for that card, and I do not
    even know if it is supported on BSD. Others on this list can probably
    answer that better than myself.

    Tom Guest

  3. #3

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Francis Whittington wrote:

    OK, first of all this is two separate issues. I wouldn't worry about X
    just yet; first let's make sure you have connectivity.

    If you can't ping your internal Windows boxes, there is probably
    something wrong with your BSD machine's IP configuration. What does the
    BSD box say when you type

    ifconfig -a

    on the command line? ...and for comparison, what does the Windows box
    say when you type

    ipconfig /all

    on its command line? If the D-Link is acting as a gateway and NAT (which
    I'm assuming even though you didn't say so), and set to its defaults,
    you should see 192.168.0.x IP addresses on both machines (where x is a
    different number on the two machines). You also need to make sure all
    the machines (computers and D-Link) have the same netmask configured;
    this will almost certainly be 255.255.255.0. If the IP and/or netmask
    are wrong, you can fix it using the ifconfig command (man ifconfig).
    Once you have it figured out, put your changes in /etc/rc.conf so they
    will stay correct next time the machine boots.

    Also, are you able to ping the D-Link? Its default IP is 192.168.0.1,
    IIRC.

    HTH...

    --
    Chris Hill org
    ** [ Busy Expunging <|> ]

  4. #4

    --On Saturday, March 19, 2005 12:32 PM -0500 Francis Whittington
    <net> wrote:

    A few. Pick up a good book on Unix and start reading. Go online and read
    networking HOW-TO doents. Pay particular attention to the networking
    sections that explain how to set up network cards, gateways and routes.
    You don't need X to run the box *if* you know and understand the commands.
    Ifconfig will tell you the condition of your networking - whether or not a
    card is "up", what its settings are. Read the man page for rc.conf. You
    configure your cards there. If you're connected directly to the same modem
    that the Win XP box is connected to, you *should* be able to see the Win XP
    box if you have your network set up correctly.

    X is an whole 'nother kettle of fish, even for experienced folks. See if
    you can find a friend who knows X well enough to get you started. You can
    run x86config from the commandline and often get X working well enough to
    start it up, but you'll really need help to get it working right until
    you've got a little more experience under your belt.

    Join a local users group, if you can find one. Even a Linux users group
    would help. There isn't that much difference between most *nix OSes wrt
    the basic settings and how they work.

    It's going to take some reading and work to get going, but it's well worth
    it.

    Paul Schmehl (edu)
    Adjunct Information Security Officer
    University of Texas at Dallas
    AVIEN Founding Member
    http://www.utdallas.edu/
    Paul Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Paul,
    Just wanted to say that I am reading as much as I can. UNIX books, freeBSD handbook, websites, manpages, etc. I am 47, have 5 daughters, and work 2 jobs, none of which have anything to do with computers. I bought my first computer in 1998(they had no computer classes when i was in school). I have just gotten interested in learning BSD. Linux would have been okay too, but I read BSD was better. I came on this forum to get a little help when I get frustrated. I do not have all the time in the world for this. Wish i did sometimes. Its relaxing...LOL! Besides...here is better than getting ed at in #freebsdhelp to go read. Thanks for the suggestions though.

    fewjr/Buddy
    Francis Guest

  6. #6

    Francis Whittington wrote:

    From time to time we've heard about "mean-ness" (if you will) on
    IRC channels. They aren't official, AAMOF. On the other hand,
    this list is. This is not to say that you might not occasionally
    get "gritched at" on this list, but generally (notice all these
    qualifying words) it's not much of an issue, particularly if
    you can take the time to do enough research to ask a good
    question. Eric Raymond wrote a classic tome on this:

    BTW, welcome to FreeBSD! Be sure and write back when
    you have specific questions.

    Kevin Kinsey
    Kevin Guest