Professional Web Applications Themes

Just got a SparcStation 20 - Need HELP! - Sun Solaris

I'm a revisiting solaris "newbie" (used it 6 years ago) and I've recently purchased a used SS 20 (with monitor) - I could not use until I got a 13W3->VGA adapter (just arrived). All I knew was that the computer seemed to boot up!! Well I connected the monitor and yup! it works. Boot messages identify SunOS 5.6 - which Solaris is this? And 128 meg of memory. But Root password seems to be the original owners - probably some company dumping their old Sparcs. I think I have Solaris 6 CD's (the first one SUN offered for free). Is ...

  1. #1

    Default Just got a SparcStation 20 - Need HELP!

    I'm a revisiting solaris "newbie" (used it 6 years ago) and I've recently
    purchased a used SS 20 (with monitor) - I could not use until I got a
    13W3->VGA adapter (just arrived).
    All I knew was that the computer seemed to boot up!!
    Well I connected the monitor and yup! it works.
    Boot messages identify SunOS 5.6 - which Solaris is this?
    And 128 meg of memory.

    But Root password seems to be the original owners - probably some company
    dumping their old Sparcs.

    I think I have Solaris 6 CD's (the first one SUN offered for free).

    Is there any way I can reset the Root password so I can reconfigure the
    Users etc for my own use - I also remember having the Solaris user guide
    book somewhere - I just have to go through several boxes in my garage.

    Can someone help or point me in the direction to read up on my situation -
    or is it best just to reload the OS? - can I do that with the CD's I have?
    Thanks for any and all advice.
    Dave E.

    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Just got a SparcStation 20 - Need HELP!

    "David E. Edwards" wrote:

    2.6

    You need to boot from cdrom ("boot cdrom" from ok prompt). When the
    install program comes up (probably after much ado), push it
    to the side, open a cmdtool, and mount the root fs. e.g.

    mount /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 /mnt

    That assumes the root fs is on slice 0 of the bottom disk, which is
    quite likely.

    Edit /mnt/etc/shadow to remove the encrypted passwd string for root, umount /mnt,
    halt the machine, and boot back up off the hard disk. Now set a root passwd.

    I'd reload the OS. If you have Solaris 2.6 CD's, yes.

    --
    Griff Miller II | |
    Manager of Information Technology | If you're too open-minded, |

  3. #3

    "David E. Edwards" <com> wrote in message

    It is solaris 6 . In fact solaris is the marketing name for SUN which
    incorporates the OS + addons .
    Sunos is the operating system version . Remember bsd was sunos 4.x and when
    SVr4 came out you got Sunos 5.x

    To recover the root password you have to do the following ( in short ).

    1. Boot from cdrom ( whatever solaris release ) , but interupt the
    installation .
    2. Mount de root device on a directory e.g. /a
    3. cd /a/etc
    4. copy passwd to passwd.org
    5. edit the passwd and make the password for root blank.
    6. halt the machine
    7 reboot
    8 login as root
    9 cp passwd.org to passwd and change the rootpassword .

    pidbel Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:22:30 +0200, "pidbel"
    <be> wrote:
    <snipped>

    I can't recall off hand, but boot cdrom -s should work, and you don't
    have to go through the installation stuff.

    Yep, that's the way.
    Mountain Guest

  5. #5

    "David E. Edwards" <com> wrote in message
    <SNIP>

    Darn! - the CD's I have are for the Intel Platform - did find my "A
    Practical guide to solaris" by Mark G. sobell though.
    Guess I'm going to have to purchase Solaris 7 Installation media.

    The config I can make out seems to be 128 meg ram and a 1 gig hard drive -
    is this big enough for Solaris 7 or 8?

    I have the chance to purchase an IBM SCSI 9 gig drive - its model number is:
    DNES-309170 E182115 S
    Willthis fit my SparcStation 20?
    Thanks again for all help

    <SNIP>

    David Guest

  6. #6

    HI,

    David E. Edwards wrote:

    > Darn! - the CD's I have are for the Intel Platform - did find my "A
    > Practical guide to solaris" by Mark G. sobell though.
    > Guess I'm going to have to purchase Solaris 7 Installation media.[/ref]
    Why, download Solaris 9 for free from www.sun.com!

    RAM is fine disk not unless you only install the minimum but then you
    will no fun.

    Any SCSI SCA(80-pol) drive should fit, but get a bigger one so you can
    play abit without trouble. You pay about 6USD per GB so get a 18 or
    better a 36GB drive, then later you can get a nice Ultra-2 with Creator
    graphics of EBAY and put the drive in that machine.

    /michael

    Michael Guest

  7. #7

    Hello,
    "Michael Laajanen" <com> wrote in message

    > > Darn! - the CD's I have are for the Intel Platform - did find my "A
    > > Practical guide to solaris" by Mark G. sobell though.
    > > Guess I'm going to have to purchase Solaris 7 Installation media.[/ref]
    > Why, download Solaris 9 for free from www.sun.com!
    >
    > [/ref]
    drive -
    > RAM is fine disk not unless you only install the minimum but then you
    > will no fun.
    > [/ref]
    is:

    > Any SCSI SCA(80-pol) drive should fit, but get a bigger one so you can
    > play abit without trouble. You pay about 6USD per GB so get a 18 or
    > better a 36GB drive, then later you can get a nice Ultra-2 with Creator
    > graphics of EBAY and put the drive in that machine.
    >[/ref]

    They are 80 way LVD/SE drives are these any good?
    Thanks
    Dave E.

    David Guest

  8. #8

    HI,

    David E. Edwards wrote: [/ref][/ref]
    IBM's harddisk division is now Hitachi, checkout http://www.hgst.com
    and search for DNES-309170.
    http://www.hgst.com/search/?q=DNES-309170&btnG.x=6&btnG.y=8&btnG=Search&site=public&c lient=public&proxystylesheet=public&output=xml_no_ dtd

    Keep that pdf-file as a reference in case you need to change the
    configuration if neccessary.

    > They are 80 way LVD/SE drives are these any good?
    > Thanks
    > Dave E.[/ref]
    Yes they should work fine, but pay attention if you install two in the
    same machine, you then need to fit a FAN(PC CPU FAN) inside the machine
    close to the disks do not have the machine opened because then you would
    change the airflow in a negative way.

    Good luck, happy Unix.

    /michael

    Michael Guest

  9. #9

    Griff Miller wrote:

    Or to avoid the much ado, simply boot the CDROM single user

    boot cdrom -s

    --
    Tony

    Tony Guest