Professional Web Applications Themes

just got DSL, can't surf or get mail - FreeBSD

Hello, I just got an xDSL system. In Windows I can browse the internet and do whatever I want just fine. However, in FreeBSD the only things that work are my p2p programs. Azureus and amule work fine, they both connect and download. However, when I try to use dillo, Firefox or Thunderbird they always timeout when trying to access the net. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this? I had cable internet before and it worked fine. The DSL modem is hooked up to the computer through Ethernet. Thanks /Brian...

  1. #1

    Default just got DSL, can't surf or get mail

    Hello, I just got an xDSL system. In Windows I can browse the internet
    and do whatever I want just fine. However, in FreeBSD the only things
    that work are my p2p programs. Azureus and amule work fine, they both
    connect and download. However, when I try to use dillo, Firefox or
    Thunderbird they always timeout when trying to access the net. Does
    anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this? I had cable internet
    before and it worked fine. The DSL modem is hooked up to the computer
    through Ethernet.

    Thanks

    /Brian
    Brian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: just got DSL, can't surf or get mail

    If you ask the wrong questions, you get answers like "42" and "God".

    Christopher Guest

  3. #3

    Brian John writes:

    Are you sure your ISP doesn't block any ports or force any traffic
    through proxy servers?

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 15:51:47 -0500 (CDT)
    "Brian John" <com> wrote:

    sounds like a DNS-issue, check your /etc/resolv.conf, if your ISP does
    not use DHCP then you have to fill /etc/resolv.conf yourself

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html
    section 11.10.2.1 tells you more

    albi@scii.nl Guest

  5. #5

    > --
    > I abhor a system designed for the "user", if that word is a coded
    > pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated". -- Ken Thompson
    > If you ask the wrong questions, you get answers like "42" and "God".
    > Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly.

    "org"
    How can I fix it if it's a DNS issue? Is there someplace I can set that up?

    /Brian
    Brian Guest

  6. #6

    > Brian John writes:
    >
    > Are you sure your ISP doesn't block any ports or force any traffic
    > through proxy servers?
    >
    > --
    > Anthony

    "org"
    I don't think so because it works fine in Windows. Wouldn't it not work
    in windows if that was the case?

    /Brian
    Brian Guest

  7. #7

    I didn't use any config files for this. I never had to use any to get my
    cable modem to work either. What config files should I be looking at?

    /Brian

  9. #9

    Brian John writes:

    One you've changed resolv.conf, it should stay that way permanently
    across boots, unless you change it again.

    Open a command window in Windows and type "ipconfig -all". There should
    be a list of DNS servers somewhere in the output. Put that same list in
    your resolv.conf file. Alternately, if your ISP has given you a list of
    one or more DNS servers to use, put those in the resolv.conf file
    (usually these will both be the same).

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  10. #10

    Brian John writes:

    I understood that you had changed ISP connections also. If you're using
    the same connection that Windows used, then it's not the ISP. Based on
    your other posts, it sounds like it was just a simple DNS problem.

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  11. #11

    On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 08:06:16PM -0500, Brian John wrote:

    [...]

    If /etc/resolv.conf changes after every reboot, I would say that either
    your DHCP setup is at fault or your ppp.conf set needs to be looked
    at. Can you be sure that your service provider isn't handing the
    "192.168.0.1" ip-address to you?

    Cheers.
    --
    Jonathan Chen <org.nz> Once is dumb luck.
    Twice is coincidence.

  12. #12

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:06:16 -0500
    Brian John <com> wrote:

    this looks like your DSL-modem has a router-function (with DHCP and a
    non-working DNS-server) or your ISP does hand out DHCP to you and
    something goes wrong, or your ISP does not use DHCP and something else
    goes wrong with the resolv.conf

    what you can do is to put a line in /etc/rc.local which says this
    cp /etc/resolv.conf.good /etc/resolv.conf
    where /etc/resolv.conf.good is your working resolv.conf

    if DHCP is in use, either on your modem or by your ISP, then there's
    normally a lease-time (if it's say e.g. 5 minutes, then your
    /etc/resolv.conf will be overwritten) so you could turn the above line
    into a cronjob

    HTH

    albi@scii.nl Guest

  13. #13

    > On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 08:06:16PM -0500, Brian John wrote:
    >
    > If /etc/resolv.conf changes after every reboot, I would say that either
    > your DHCP setup is at fault or your ppp.conf set needs to be looked
    > at. Can you be sure that your service provider isn't handing the
    > "192.168.0.1" ip-address to you?
    >
    > Cheers.
    > --
    > Jonathan Chen <org.nz> Once is dumb luck.
    > Twice is coincidence.
    > Three times and Somebody Is Trying To Tell You Something.
    >[/ref]
    The 192.168.0.1 address is the ip address of my dsl modem. Should that be
    counted as a dns server? Where does my DHCP setup live? What should I
    see in ppp.conf?

    Thanks

    /Brian
    Brian Guest

  14. #14

    On Apr 3, 2005 9:12 PM, Anthony Atkielski <fr> wrote:

    dhclient will overwrite /etc/resolv.conf on boot
    cape Guest

  15. #15

    wrote:

    > dhclient will overwrite /etc/resolv.conf on boot[/ref]

    How can I keep dhclient from doing this?

    /Brian
    Brian Guest

  16. #16

    On Monday 04 April 2005 07:40 am, Brian John wrote:

    > wrote:
    > >
    > > dhclient will overwrite /etc/resolv.conf on boot[/ref]
    >
    > How can I keep dhclient from doing this?
    >
    > /Brian[/ref]

    Running chflags schg /etc/resolv.conf as root would keep
    it from being changed. You still should figure out why
    dhclient is putting the wrong info in resolv.conf though.

    -Mike
    Michael Guest

  17. #17

    > On Monday 04 April 2005 07:40 am, Brian John wrote:
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > How can I keep dhclient from doing this?
    > >
    > > /Brian[/ref]
    >
    > Running chflags schg /etc/resolv.conf as root would keep
    > it from being changed. You still should figure out why
    > dhclient is putting the wrong info in resolv.conf though.[/ref]

    How can I find that out? Sorry, but I'm pretty new to networking in
    FreeBSD (not networking in general) so I need a little bit of direction.

    Thanks for the help

    /Brian
    Brian Guest

  18. #18

    On Monday 04 April 2005 09:52 am, Brian John wrote:

    > > Running chflags schg /etc/resolv.conf as root would keep
    > > it from being changed. You still should figure out why
    > > dhclient is putting the wrong info in resolv.conf though.[/ref]
    >
    > How can I find that out? Sorry, but I'm pretty new to networking in
    > FreeBSD (not networking in general) so I need a little bit of
    > direction.
    >
    > Thanks for the help
    >
    > /Brian[/ref]

    I'm not an expert on dhclient sorry, I just know that setting the
    immutable flag will keep things from changing your resolv.conf file.
    Hopefully someone else will give you useful information about dhclient.

    -Mike

    Michael Guest

  19. #19

    "Brian John" <com> writes:

    > wrote:
    > >

    > > dhclient will overwrite /etc/resolv.conf on boot[/ref]
    >
    > How can I keep dhclient from doing this?[/ref]

    Configure it not to: according to "man dhclient.conf", a
    "prepend domain-name-servers <mumble>" should do it.

    Or better yet, fix your router so that it either provides DNS services
    or stops telling your FreeBSD machine that it does.
    Lowell Guest

  20. #20

    cape canaveral writes:

    Then perhaps dhclient.conf is the culprit; an alternative is to stop
    running dhclient, but only if the machine's own IP address is static.

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest