Professional Web Applications Themes

Just the basics please... - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Beth, the current image was 4x6 and I want to print it to 4x6. (I gave up on cropping and resizing) How do I get Element to send the image to my printer without having to monkey around with rotating the image on the canvas or having it fit the set paper? I started with page setup, selecting the printer and selecting fit to media. This is supposed to be a basic program, I'm confronted with problems in every aspect of resizing and printing. thanks,Raoul...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Just the basics please...

    Beth, the current image was 4x6 and I want to print it to 4x6. (I gave up on cropping and resizing) How do I get Element to send the image to my printer without having to monkey around with rotating the image on the canvas or having it fit the set paper? I started with page setup, selecting the printer and selecting fit to media. This is supposed to be a basic program, I'm confronted with problems in every aspect of resizing and printing.
    thanks,Raoul
    raoul Guest

  2. #22

    Your scanner should have a "copy machine" function included with the
    scanner software for such a basic need as this. No need to get a photo
    editor involved.

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest

  3. #23

    OK, we'll run through the scanning part, too, just to give you everything from point A.

    Insert the 4X6 print and set the scanning resolution to 300ppi (if your scanner measures in dpi, ignore it - they just got the terms confused.)

    File>Import>select the appropriate submenu for your scanner. (Mine is VistaScan, but yours would be different.)

    Preview the photo prior to scan

    Adjust scanning lines, if your software has that feature, so the scanner only spends time scanning the picture and not all of the surrounding glass.

    Scan

    The scanned image should open in Elements.

    At this point, you have a 4 X 6 image that is the correct resolution for printing.

    Make any color corrections you want, then,

    File>Print Preview

    (a 4 X 6 will fit on an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet, so you really shouldn't need to move anything.)

    Hit Print.

    The only thing I can think of that may be confusing you is if you're using 4 X 6 photo paper. Are you? If so, that IS going to require changing settings for your printer so it recognizes that you're not using a standard letter-size sheet of paper. Is this where your problem is coming in? Note, though, that this wouldn't be an Elements function; your printer takes over at this point, and you access that through Print Preview.

    Give me a minute - I've gotta check this out! I've never printed on 4 X 6 and am not sure how to set it up! You read. I'll look and come back. :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  4. #24

    I'm back.

    First, keep in mind that Elements is not actually in control of the actual printing process. It takes you only to the Print Preview screen, and from there you work through your Epson (? is that what you said) printer software.

    So, for the 4 X 6 image I wanted to print on 4 X 6 photo paper, here's what I did:

    (starting at the point where you're looking at your edited image on the monitor and have decided it's time to print.)

    File>Print Preview

    From the buttons on the right of the screen, choose Page Setup. This will move you into your EPSON software. For my HP, I get a screen called Page Attributes, and a place where I can select paper size. I scrolled to "4 X 6 Photo" and selected it. I hit OK. It went back to the Print Preview window, and I hit Print. My HP has another screen that comes up where I can make other choices about ink, etc., but I don't know what will come up for Epson. I just hit Print again and got my photo.
    Beth Haney Guest

  5. #25

    Raoul,

    Remember, jpg is a compressed format. It is used for the web for this reason, it is like using WinZip for doents, they get squeezed to a smaller size. In Explorer a jpg will say it is a certain size and that is the compressed size. That same jpg, when opened in PSE, will show itself to be a much larger file....because it is now opened (no longer compressed) you are viewing it. Save or close and it will be compressed again (ie smaller file size reported, it is not open)

    You scanned at 600 ppi you say. Your goal is to produce an image that will print out the size you want and have a resolution of about 300 ppi. But your image is now 1200ppi. This means that you could have
    * resized your image to print out at half the size of the original----Example: if you scanned a 8x12 image at 600ppi and then with Image>Resize>Image Size, typed in either a 4 for the first number OR a 6 for the second number AND had the "Resample" box UNchecked----in your your scan one inch contained 600 pixels, so the height was 8x600=4800 pixels and the width was 12x600=7200 pixels BUT when resizing to a 4x6, those 4800 pixels of the height have to be compressed into a 4" space whereas they used to occupy a 8" space (which doubles the resolution, 600 res. becomes 1200 res.)

    Two problems here: the res. is ridiculously high and it is a decimal number (discussed this earlier)

    There are a couple of places where you could have gone wrong...let me reiterate just one more time...

    * Scan at 300 ppi (if for example you are scanning a 4x6 and want to print out at about a 4x6)
    * Scan at 600 ppi (if, for example, you are scanning a 2x3 but want to print it out as a 4x6). After scanning you would in PSE go to Image>Resize>Image Resize. Leave the "Resample" box UNCHECKED, have the "Constrain" box CHECKED and type in 4 for the shorter side. Do not type anything else in this box. Let the resolution number change on it's own. As soon as you type in the '4', the other dimension will change to '6' and the resolution will remain at 300.

    Resolution and Printed Size are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL... the smaller the res., the larger the print and vice versa...the larger the printed size, the smaller (lower) the res.

    In the printer driver...you are saying HP does not give you an option to print either a landscape or portrait photo? That's insane. I've never had an HP.

    OK, the workaround...
    Orient your image in PSE to print correctly...
    * Image>Rotate> "Canvas 90 degrees right:

    make sure it is "Canvas"

    You're good to go
    Nancy S Guest

  6. #26

    Beth,

    Didn't mean to step on your toes, was typing as you were answering, sorry
    Nancy S Guest

  7. #27

    Beth,
    Yeah, this is one sweet printer, borderless 4x6 prints at 2400x1200 resolution. Sharp as emulsion. Works great if you stay with the Hewlett-Packard software. Bone simple.
    Raoul
    raoul Guest

  8. #28

    OK, so I went off and then realized that since I didn't really HAVE any 4 X 6 paper, I don't know what direction it feeds into the printer. Sorry. So, my directions were assuming the paper went in being pulled by the 6 inch edge. If the paper actually loads so it gets pulled by the 4 inch edge, that's where you would have to set it to print in Landscape mode. That, too, is done within Page Setup of the printer software, so there shouldn't be any need to rotate the image while it's still in Elements.

    This is where it would be really good if we had a confirmation from you that you are actually printing to 4 X 6 paper, and then it would be super really good if we got somebody in here who owned an Epson printer!! (Hint, hint, people.)

    The flow of this entire process is:

    Elements will access your scanning software but does not have any control over the scan.

    Elements is in complete control of any resizing or image editing.

    Elements turns the job of printing over to printer software once you go to the Print Preview page.

    I'm sure that since Elements is open throughout this entire process it's easy to assume it's in charge of the whole thing, but it isn't. It's designed only to interface with scanning applications and printer applications.
    Beth Haney Guest

  9. #29

    Nancy:
    "Resolution and Printed Size are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL... the smaller the res., the larger the print and vice versa...the larger the printed size, the smaller (lower) the res."

    I have no idea what this means, but I do know that when the scan resolution is low the image quality in print is low. Why couldn't a large print have high resolution? Isn't that the definition of a sharp enlargement and selection?
    Raoul
    raoul Guest

  10. #30

    Raoul,

    If all you want to do is make a 4x6 from a 4x6, as Mac said, your printer should have a setting to "Copy Image" or something akin to that. No need to even open PSE.
    Nancy S Guest

  11. #31

    Raoul, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm getting confused by now :) but I saw the post to Nancy about resolution. Yes, you do want to print at higher resolutions. When the subject is resizing images, think of it kind of like this:

    Starting out with a resolution of 300ppi, each inch of space (and we're just talking one dimension here) is made up of 300 pixels (OK, technically that's 9,000 pixels per each square inch of photo area, 300 across and 300 down.) If you decrease your resolution to 150ppi, it now only takes 150 of your pixels to spread out over one inch. So, 300 pixels now covers two inches instead of one. That is inversely proportional - the lower the resolution the larger the physical size of the image. The more pixels crammed into each square inch of surface, the higher the quality of your printed image.

    Now I've gotta go back and see if anything else got posted while I was typing.
    Beth Haney Guest

  12. #32

    Print from a scanner?! That takes all the sport out of it! How would anyone's hair ever turn gray doing it that way? I can feel myself totally spacing out. I'm off to the toob for the night. :) I'll check this thread again in the morning and see what kind of progress got made.
    Beth Haney Guest

  13. #33

    Nancy/Beth/Mac,
    After a reboot the 'copy' option for my HP photo printer was available under 'scan to copy' and it does work. My other options will be the basic Epson photo enhancement tools, save to file and open with the printer software. Maybe after I meet my other goals for the year - learn another language, improve my guitar playing, and perfect my downwind sailing, I'll consider reading a book on software (nah). Thanks to all for your kind help.
    Raoul
    raoul Guest

  14. #34

    Raoul,

    You're welcome. I hope you come back to the forum when you are ready to explore the wonders this program can perform on images, it is amazing and fun :)

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  15. #35

    Nancy,
    This discourse is an elegant distillation of the "meat & potatoes" of elements. Please amplify one step for me - I have not been doing this:
    "check for neutrality of white and black by getting dropper from toolbox and pulling 'Info' tab out of well." Would you give me a step - by - step, and just what one should do with the numbers at hand. Thanks.
    Ken
    Kenneth Liffmann Guest

  16. #36

    THANKS for all the details. I will study over this as I have started to do with the web site mentioned hear and earlier.
    I decided on the HP 5470c and had no problems, didn't even check resolution, so now I'm wonderring if I can get even better results with all these posts.
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

  17. #37

    Ken,

    I always have 3 palettes permanently out of the well, showing on my workspace; the Info Palette (top,right on screen)and the History + Layers Palettes nested together directly under Info (allowing only the the first box, RGB values, to show of Info).

    The 'neutrality' is for checking the RGB values of a very dark and a very light pixel. I have the eyedropper set for a 3x3 sample. This is my test for color shifts or color casts. In both samples I know colors are good if each of the RGB values are very close to the same number. Example: ideal for darkest pixel would be 10-10-10 and ideal for lightest 250-250-250 BUT very acceptable would be something like 9-11-10 or 248-250-252. (If I have a mid-grey tone I would check that first, but I often don't seem to have a mid-grey)

    If my sample shows something like 250-250-225, I know my blue value is too dark in the highlights. To correct this I would pull up my Levels Adjustment Layer, have it set to the histogram for only the blue channel and move the highlight slider (on right) to the left about five values and recheck lightest pixel sample.

    I do a similar thing with skin tone, as I often fight a slight excess of red in this area. Knowing that my family's skin is somewhere in the neighborhood of 217-170-130, if sampling shows this to be way off kilter, I sometimes select the skin area and do a Level Adj. just for that. The actual numbers aren't the only give-away to me on this, it is the approx. ratio between the three numbers which will give me a realistic skin tone. Being in shade or a well lit situation would of course put these numbers towards lighter or somewhat darker values.

    I do strictly printing, so this process has worked well for me. I have double clicked the highlight eyedropper in Levels and set it permanently for 250-250-250, so my whitest pixels will put some ink down on the paper and likewise my black eyedropper is set to 8-8-8.

    This is my neutrality check.

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  18. #38

    Nancy,
    Thanks. I did not know how to interpret the data, although Richard does go into it in his book. I have been using the curves tool and eye-balling the result.
    I shall check with your technique, however. There is so much to master if one wants to make the effort. Have "rescued" some terrible pictures and getting better as I go along.
    Ken
    Kenneth Liffmann Guest

  19. #39

    Ken,

    I use add-on curves also quite frequently, I didn't know you had that feature...You could do the same thing in curves though. As per my example, with a curve for the blue channel (after having separated the image into color channels) adjust that 225 to become a 250.

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12