Professional Web Applications Themes

KDE, GNOME... ??? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

okay... since i'm gonna get my linux shortly, i would like to know what the difference between KDE and GNOME is... for example, what is best?...

  1. #1

    Default KDE, GNOME... ???

    okay... since i'm gonna get my linux shortly, i would like to know
    what the difference between KDE and GNOME is... for example, what is
    best?
    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: KDE, GNOME... ???

    Chris Mantoulidis wrote:

    They are both window managers. Some people like KDE some like
    GNOME. Which one you use is more of a personal preference, kind
    of like ice cream. Which flavor do you like? There are also
    several others available.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

    David Guest

  3. #3

    Chris Mantoulidis wrote:

    .... the one that is "best" is the one that works best
    for YOUR needs. my suggestion is to run gnome for 3-4
    weeks, then switch to kde and work it for 3-4 weeks,
    then YOU decide which is best.

    at the highest level, gnome isnt quite as 'feature-rich'
    as kde, but many people like that sort of 'minimalist'
    approach to a desktop environment. let it be known that
    they are built with different GUI libs, which means the
    "look" will be diff between kde/gnome.

    it's hard to say which has the most market share, but
    i'll bet that kde is the more popular choice
    ..
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to
    alter it every six months. - Oscar Wilde

    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    David wrote:

    .... BZZZZZZZZT !!!! sorry, thanks for playing. they are
    "desktop [environment]" (which includes a window manager).
    http://www.plig.org/xwinman/
    ..
    Beware of the Turing Tar-pit in which everything is possible but
    nothing of interest is easy.

    mjt Guest

  5. #5

    David wrote:

    > They are both window managers. Some people like KDE some like
    > GNOME. Which one you use is more of a personal preference, kind
    > of like ice cream. Which flavor do you like? There are also
    > several others available.
    >[/ref]

    No, there are desktop environments which is something very
    different.

    Ransom
    --
    For real email get public key 0xF6BB5695 from www.keyserver.net
    Ransom Guest

  6. #6

    "mjt" <com> wrote in message

    > ... the one that is "best" is the one that works best
    > for YOUR needs. my suggestion is to run gnome for 3-4
    > weeks, then switch to kde and work it for 3-4 weeks,
    > then YOU decide which is best.
    >
    > at the highest level, gnome isnt quite as 'feature-rich'
    > as kde, but many people like that sort of 'minimalist'
    > approach to a desktop environment. let it be known that
    > they are built with different GUI libs, which means the
    > "look" will be diff between kde/gnome.
    >
    > it's hard to say which has the most market share, but
    > i'll bet that kde is the more popular choice[/ref]

    Both are *stunningly* bloated with dozens, even hundreds, of tools you will
    never want or use. How many badly written and incomplete dialup handlers and
    file browsers and badly color coordinated shell terminals do you really
    need? Throw them *both* the hell out, and use twm. Install only specific
    components that you want, and the most basic libraries to support them.
    (Some folks like Konqueror, for example.)

    Your local disk and CPU and X-Windows behavior will benefit greatly from
    dumping all the eye candy.

    Nico Guest

  7. #7

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > Both are stunningly bloated with dozens, even hundreds, of tools you will
    > never want or use. How many badly written and incomplete dialup handlers
    > and file browsers and badly color coordinated shell terminals do you
    > really need? Throw them both the hell out, and use twm. Install only
    > specific components that you want, and the most basic libraries to support
    > them. (Some folks like Konqueror, for example.)
    >
    > Your local disk and CPU and X-Windows behavior will benefit greatly from
    > dumping all the eye candy[/ref]

    .... i agree that a smart, trimmed down user interface has its
    advantages, esp for those that have a trimmed-down machine
    (h/w wise). although slightly dated, this is a good read:
    ..
    Command, n.: Statement presented by a human and accepted by a computer
    in such a manner as to make the human feel as if he is in control.

    mjt Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Alan Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:30:23 -0700, Chris Mantoulidis wrote:

    Neither. I like gnome. I know a lot of people that like KDE. I have
    both installed. Then again, fvwm is not bad if you do not mind doing hand
    configuration. I used fvwm for years.

    Paul

    --
    /********************** Running Debian Linux ************************
    * For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, *

    W. Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Patrick Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Alan Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. #12

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:02:30 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:

    There is a half-way house, which is to have a reasonably light window
    manager like Blackbox, and just run the apps from that.

    - Richard.

    Richard Guest

  13. #13

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:09:55 +0000, Richard Kimber <com> wrote:

    > There is a half-way house, which is to have a reasonably light window
    > manager like Blackbox, and just run the apps from that.
    >
    > - Richard.
    >[/ref]

    That's actually what I meant. The xterm has to have a window manager.
    And there are light 'xterms' as well as light window managers.

    I actually run mostly text-mode apps in screen, and have an xterm up
    on another tty when I need it.

    Be nice if I could just use the window manager instead of screen, but
    I hate mice and need to be able to create and switch between windows
    with a couple of keystrokes.

    Haven't been able to find a light window manager that would permit
    that with keystrokes. Haven't really tried, though.

    Be interested in hearing anything you had to say on the subject.

    With screen I get a bunch of 'windows' (ptys of full screen size) when
    I log in, with differen titles and numbers.

    I can switch between them and copy and paste between them, kill them
    and create new ones in a blink.

    Do you know of a window manager that will do that with keybindings?

    (with xterms being switched to in the same way)

    You can see that I don't know X very well.....Just don't need many
    X-apps. And it is, even my stripped down install, larger than all
    the rest of my kernel/shell/libs/apps/utilities put together.

    --
    Alan C this post ends with w
    Alan Guest

  14. #14

    Keith Guest

  15. #15

    Keith Keller wrote:

    Or you might try fluxbox, blackbox's descendant. It has the ability
    to hot-key from window to window (I think) built-in.

    Steve Guest

  16. #16

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:34:26 -0800, Keith Keller <san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

    .... i prefer openbox
    ..
    Anarchy may not be the best form of government, but it's better
    than no government at all.
    mjt Guest