Professional Web Applications Themes

KDE - Gnome - Ubuntu

Please explain the differences between the two. -- Regards, Mike (Piedmont) [url]http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msn[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default KDE - Gnome

    Please explain the differences between the two.
    --
    Regards, Mike (Piedmont)

    [url]http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msn[/url]

    Mike \Piedmont\ Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: KDE - Gnome

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:41:32 -0600, Mike "Piedmont" <nonenone.net> wrote:
    > Please explain the differences between the two.
    Personal preference. Basically, find out if there are any tools for one
    or the other that you can't live without, and decide accordingly.

    Dave Hinz Guest

  3. #3

    Mike "Piedmont" wrote:
    > Please explain the differences between the two.
    They are the two most popular desktop environments in linux, it is
    pretty much personal preferance on what you like better, both a pretty
    good.
    IMHO KDE is more "Windows like" and has a lot of bells and wistles that
    I don't find usefull. I think gnome is more minimal and has slightly has
    better performance.

    However both are customizable, you can turn off the fetures you don't
    like in KDE and add bells and wistles to gnome. I personally like gnome.
    zekolas Guest

  4. #4

    * Mike "Piedmont" wrote:
    > Please explain the differences between the two.
    They are both "display managers".

    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_manager[/url]

    --
    Troy Piggins
    Gnocchi is potato not pasta

  5. #5

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:41:32 -0600, Mike "Piedmont" wrote:
    > Please explain the differences between the two.
    They look different but can run pretty much the same programs. Personally
    I have found Gnome to be more stable with Ubuntu. Kubuntu has KDE but
    after a few days it lost its desktop!!!

    GeeJay Guest

  6. #6

    Troy Piggins wrote:
    > * Mike "Piedmont" wrote:
    >
    >>Please explain the differences between the two.
    >

    > They are both "display managers".
    >
    > [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_manager[/url]

    No they're not, doofus. Did you even *read* the article at the url you
    posted? They're both desktop environments, ie window managers with a
    range of applications and other assorted bits and pieces included. A
    better link would be:

    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment[/url]
    or
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE[/url]
    or
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME[/url]
    Shannon Lloyd Guest

  7. #7

    * Shannon Lloyd wrote:
    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    >> * Mike "Piedmont" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Please explain the differences between the two.
    >>
    >> They are both "display managers".
    >>
    >> [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_manager[/url]
    >
    > No they're not, doofus. Did you even *read* the article at the url you
    > posted? They're both desktop environments, ie window managers with a
    > range of applications and other assorted bits and pieces included. A
    > better link would be:
    >
    > [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment[/url]
    > or
    > [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE[/url]
    > or
    > [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME[/url]
    . Sorry. My fingers were faster than my brain. That's what I get
    for posting tired.

    Indeed you are correct.

    --
    Troy "Doofus" Piggins
    Christmas thought: "Christmas is a time of eating,

  8. #8

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:38:23 +1030, Shannon Lloyd <sjlloyd_NO__SPAM_likwid.com> wrote:
    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    >>
    >> They are both "display managers".
    >> [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_manager[/url]
    > No they're not, doofus.
    Ouch. Doofus? What's this group come to, when wandering ruffians can
    say "doofus" to helpful participants at will.
    > Did you even *read* the article at the url you
    > posted? They're both desktop environments, ie window managers with a
    > range of applications and other assorted bits and pieces included.
    Meh...OK, so there's some distinction to be made, apparently. For the
    purposes and detail of the original question, I'd suggest that the
    doofus in question got the answer right enough for the purposes.

    Dave Hinz Guest

  9. #9

    * Dave Hinz wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:38:23 +1030, Shannon Lloyd <sjlloyd_NO__SPAM_likwid.com> wrote:
    >> Troy Piggins wrote:
    >>>
    >>> They are both "display managers".
    >>> [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_manager[/url]
    >
    >> No they're not, doofus.
    >
    > Ouch. Doofus? What's this group come to, when wandering ruffians can
    > say "doofus" to helpful participants at will.
    No offence was taken. My bad for posting tired. But I'll be sure to
    jump on Shannon if he/she slips up at all - like a tiger... ;-)

  10. #10

    Troy Piggins wrote:
    > * Dave Hinz wrote:

    >>>No they're not, doofus.
    >>
    >>Ouch. Doofus? What's this group come to, when wandering ruffians can
    >>say "doofus" to helpful participants at will.
    >

    > No offence was taken. My bad for posting tired. But I'll be sure to
    > jump on Shannon if he/she slips up at all - like a tiger... ;-)
    >

    >>>Did you even *read* the article at the url you
    >>>posted? They're both desktop environments, ie window managers with a
    >>>range of applications and other assorted bits and pieces included.
    >>
    >>Meh...OK, so there's some distinction to be made, apparently. For the
    >>purposes and detail of the original question, I'd suggest that the
    >>doofus in question got the answer right enough for the purposes.

    1. Where I'm from, doofus isn't that harsh.
    2. A display manager is very different from a desktop environment. Aside
    from the fact that they both start with the letter d.
    3. Like a tiger? Are you Australian? Reminds me of an old skit on the
    Late Show.

    Shannon
    Shannon Lloyd Guest

  11. #11

    Troy Piggins wrote:
    > * Dave Hinz wrote:

    >>>No they're not, doofus.
    >>
    >>Ouch. Doofus? What's this group come to, when wandering ruffians can
    >>say "doofus" to helpful participants at will.
    >

    > No offence was taken. My bad for posting tired. But I'll be sure to
    > jump on Shannon if he/she slips up at all - like a tiger... ;-)

    So what are they? The references contradict each other. One says that
    GNOME is a Display Manager, the GNOME page says its a Desktop Environment.

    Could someone clarify please.

    They all use X as their presentation, but after that surely they are
    environments?

    Walter Mitty Guest

  12. #12

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:56:16 +0100, Walter Mitty wrote:
    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    >> * Dave Hinz wrote:

    >>>Ouch. Doofus? What's this group come to, when wandering ruffians can
    >>>say "doofus" to helpful participants at will.
    >>

    >> No offence was taken. My bad for posting tired. But I'll be sure to
    >> jump on Shannon if he/she slips up at all - like a tiger... ;-)
    >

    > So what are they? The references contradict each other. One says that
    > GNOME is a Display Manager, the GNOME page says its a Desktop Environment.
    >
    > Could someone clarify please.
    >
    > They all use X as their presentation, but after that surely they are
    > environments?

    They are both desktop environments. The display/desktop manager is
    usually what we refer to as the login screen. From there you are able to
    choose which desktop to use each time you log in and set a default. Both
    Gnome and KDE incorporate their own login program, either KDM or GDM which
    seem to have very much the same functionality. GDM seems to have more
    management settings available directly from the login screen from what
    I've seen. This does depend on which GDM theme is used however.

    Chuck

    Chuck Guest

  13. #13

    * Shannon Lloyd wrote:
    [snip]
    > 1. Where I'm from, doofus isn't that harsh.
    Me too - that's why I said no offence taken.
    > 2. A display manager is very different from a desktop environment. Aside
    > from the fact that they both start with the letter d.
    I agree, as I said you are indeed correct.
    > 3. Like a tiger? Are you Australian? Reminds me of an old skit on the
    > Late Show.
    Yep. Brisbane. You must be old like me ;-)

    --
    Troy Piggins

  14. #14

    * Chuck wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    [...]
    >> So what are they? The references contradict each other. One says that
    >> GNOME is a Display Manager, the GNOME page says its a Desktop Environment.
    >> Could someone clarify please.
    >> They all use X as their presentation, but after that surely they are
    >> environments?
    > They are both desktop environments. The display/desktop manager is
    > usually what we refer to as the login screen.
    The login is the display manager, typically GDM or KDM. Once you are
    inside KDE or GNOME (Desktop Environments) you can choose to run one of
    many Window Managers (Metacity, Sawfish) etc. Generally the Window
    managers control the widgets and how windows act.

    --
    David
    You may already be a loser.