Professional Web Applications Themes

keep bounding box in transform tool? - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

I'll probably feel stupid for never figuring this out, but I've been fudging with this for years, and can't seem to find any info on this in the help area or the manual... When using the Free Transform tool, I can only do one transformation before the bounding box disappears. This is different than the old transform filter in AI6(?) and different from the free transform function of Photoshop. In those interfaces it's possible to keep adjusting the bounding box handles until you have the effect you want. In Illustrator's Free Transform you get ONE action. Then your bounding box ...

  1. #1

    Default keep bounding box in transform tool?

    I'll probably feel stupid for never figuring this out, but I've been fudging with this for years, and can't seem to find any info on this in the help area or the manual...

    When using the Free Transform tool, I can only do one transformation before the bounding box disappears. This is different than the old transform filter in AI6(?) and different from the free transform function of Photoshop. In those interfaces it's possible to keep adjusting the bounding box handles until you have the effect you want.

    In Illustrator's Free Transform you get ONE action. Then your bounding box disappears. To get it back, apparently I need to select some other tool, then re-select the Free Transform tool... at which point the bounding box is Re-set to the new limits, meaning you're starting your distortion from a whole new point instead of your original. That is, if you're trying to distort both sides of your object to recede towards a perspective point, for instance, you can only do the first one accurately. The second handle starts over, so it will distort the entire object, not just the second side which you wanted. And if you don't get exactly what you want on the first try, you can't effectively adjust: you need to undo and try again.

    This seems like a HUGE limitation, and an odd step backwards from the old transform filter. Which brings up two questions: 1) Why doesn't everybody complain about this?? and 2) What on earth am I missing, here?? I must be doing something wrong. What's the simple, obvious way of using this tool that I'm too dense to figure out?
    jonf@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: keep bounding box in transform tool?

    Actually, I've seen this too.. it's some sort of refresh issue.

    What I generally do is hit a and then e on the keyboard to bring the box back into view. It's just a quick tool switch that forces the box to redraw and takes less than a second. The box is still there after your first transform. You can tell by hovering your mouse where the box should be, it's just not visible for some reason.

    I, honestly keep meaning to bring this up but it always slips my mind. I know it's been an issue since at least v8 here.
    Scott_Weichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Three additional observations:

    1. The bounding box (aka transformation handles) seems only to be "lost" when the command key is used (either alone or in combination with other modifiers). Using no modifier, or the shift key, or the option key does not cause the box to vanish.

    2. You don't need to switch tools to restore the transformation handles. Just click - pretty much anywhere on the artboard - with the Free Transform tool, and the handles should reappear.

    3. The only real "problem" here is the one jonf points out: the bounding box is RESET to tightly enclose its object... it doesn't retain the irregular shape of the distortion that caused it to vanish in the first place.
    Doug_Katz@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I should have mentioned the point re the Command key. Yes, that's my situation as well.

    Concerning the tool switch, you're right. I think I got into the habit of using the tool switch method just because the click-away method felt too much like I was trying to de-select the items. I think I developed the intuitive (but apparently false) perception that clicking away was in some way causing the bounding box to be re-set by deselecting my objects.
    jonf@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Ctrl+Alt+B
    Or
    View>Show Bounding Box
    Chethan Cee is offline Junior Member
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2

  6. #6

    Wink Re: keep bounding box in transform tool?

    hahahaha the shift+command+b works... my life changes!!
    Unregistered Guest