Professional Web Applications Themes

Kernel 2.6.0test1 Mini-HOWTO - Debian

After much fiddling, I finally made this kernel work fine with my machine (Fujitsu C 7651 lifebook (Laptop)), Pentium III, I830m integrated graphics, PCMCIA modem (thanks to ty winmodem). 1) make a /sys folder 2) enter this in fstab: sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0 3) apt-get instal modules-init-tools 4) Copy .config file from the previous kernel (mine is 2.4.21)... although I am not 100% sure this is needed. 5) make menuconfig (deselect the many many modules that won't compile; my previous kernel was based on a Knoppix install, with all sorts of modules ...

  1. #1

    Default Kernel 2.6.0test1 Mini-HOWTO

    After much fiddling, I finally made this kernel work fine with my machine
    (Fujitsu C 7651 lifebook (Laptop)), Pentium III, I830m integrated graphics,
    PCMCIA modem (thanks to ty winmodem).

    1) make a /sys folder
    2) enter this in fstab:
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
    3) apt-get instal modules-init-tools
    4) Copy .config file from the previous kernel (mine is 2.4.21)... although I
    am not 100% sure this is needed.
    5) make menuconfig (deselect the many many modules that won't compile; my
    previous kernel was based on a Knoppix install, with all sorts of modules
    that I don't really need):

    Loadable module support
    Enable loadable module support y
    Module unloading y
    Kmod y
    #You can enable ACPI here... I have not tried it
    Power Management Options
    Power management support y
    APM BIOS support M
    #This section is specific for my machine, to enable my PCMCIA modem
    Bus options
    Support for hotplugable devices y
    PCMCIA/Cardbus support
    PCMCIA/CB support y
    yenta compatible.. M
    i82092 y
    i82365 y
    Databook TCIC M
    Input device support
    Input devices y
    Mouse interface y
    Legacy /dev/psaux y
    Horizontal screen resol 1024
    Vertical screen resol 768
    Event interface y
    Keyboards y
    AT keyboard support y <-- without this you won't have keyboard support
    Mice y<-- nor mouse support (touchpad in my case).
    PS/2 mouse y
    Char devices
    Virtual teerminal y
    Support for console VT y
    Serial drivers
    8250/16550 PCMCIA y <-- I need this for my PCMCIA card
    /dev/agpgart support y
    Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx... y <-- Specific for my graphic card
    DRM y
    I810 y <-- Specific for my graphic card
    I830M... 865G y <-- Specific for my graphic card
    Graphic support
    Support for framebuffer dev y
    VESA VGA graph sup y
    Console display driver sup
    VGA text console y
    Video mode select support y
    Framebuffer console support y <-- You need this to enable framebuffer
    support in the console
    Sound y
    ALSA
    ALSA y <-- This does not work for me, no sound; I only get sound if I
    enable OSS
    OSS API emul y
    OSS ? <-- see above. I only get sound with OSS
    #I need all of the following to be able to use my sony USB digital camera and
    to mount it as /dev/sda1
    USB support
    support for usb M
    USB dev fs y
    EHCI HCD M
    OHCI HCD M
    UHCI HCD M
    USB mass storage M
    8) make, make modules_install
    9) Change grub/lilo

    Notes.
    To use USB
    load usbcore, uhci-hcd, usb-storage
    mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb

    TODO:
    A) Fix/enable ALSA
    B) Try ACPI

    Marino Fernandez Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Kernel 2.6.0test1 Mini-HOWTO

    Dear Marino,

    Nice HOWTO.

    I like to know, if the change to fstab (sysfs and usbfs) will affect how
    2.4* kernel works? Have you tried that?

    About ALSA, it's perfectly working the last time I try them. But it
    seems we need some change in the alsa init scripts. For me, the solution
    was just compiled alsa into the kernel.

    Now ACPI. I think it work. But acpid and acpi package doesn't recognize
    the existance, but I haven't try with /sys enabled yet. And another
    thing, I got hang on resume with ACPI.

    I'm going to try (again) to install 2.6.0-test1 on my IBM T30 tonight.

    Best Regards.
    --
    arief_mulya <ariefbna.telkomsel.co.id>
    Damai Itu Indah

    arief_mulya Guest

  3. #3

    I am using 2.5.75 and am guessing that 2.6.0-test1 should be about the
    same.
    The sysfs doesn't hurt 2.4 kernels and is not actually needed. I am
    mounting it through automount, and even without it I only needed it for
    the cpufreq access. The sysfs gives access to the kernel data structures
    for userspace.
    The usbfs does matter if you also use usb file system on 2.4 since the
    name has been changed from usbdevfs. There is back support for the old
    name but I don't belive that forward support ;)
    For me acpi works quite well with acpid and acpi. It does matter whether
    you used the acpi patch for 2.4 kernels since the location of the files
    with the patched kernels and 2.6 under the proc file system is different
    then with the unpatched 2.4 kernels.
    AFAIK /sys has nothing to do with acpi since it appears under /proc and
    not /sys.
    Alsa actually worked quite well with the old configuration in place
    although I haven't managed to get alsaconf to work, it doesn't seem to
    recognise the sound card. Could be because alsaconf is ver 0.90 and alsa
    under 2.5.75 is 0.95, if anyone has any ideas?
    You could try to run a 2.4 kernel with the alsa modules, configure the
    card and then switch back to 2.6. A crude work around but it is a
    workaround.

    On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 07:31, arief_mulya wrote:
    > Dear Marino,
    >

    > Nice HOWTO.
    >
    > I like to know, if the change to fstab (sysfs and usbfs) will affect how
    > 2.4* kernel works? Have you tried that?
    >
    > About ALSA, it's perfectly working the last time I try them. But it
    > seems we need some change in the alsa init scripts. For me, the solution
    > was just compiled alsa into the kernel.
    >
    > Now ACPI. I think it work. But acpid and acpi package doesn't recognize
    > the existance, but I haven't try with /sys enabled yet. And another
    > thing, I got hang on resume with ACPI.
    >
    > I'm going to try (again) to install 2.6.0-test1 on my IBM T30 tonight.
    >

    > Best Regards.
    > --
    > arief_mulya <ariefbna.telkomsel.co.id>
    > Damai Itu Indah

    Micha Feigin Guest

  4. #4

    On Monday 21 July 2003 11:31 pm, arief_mulya wrote:
    > Dear Marino,
    >

    > Nice HOWTO.
    >
    > I like to know, if the change to fstab (sysfs and usbfs) will affect how
    > 2.4* kernel works? Have you tried that?
    Yes, I already changed fstabs and I do not have any problems using usb devices
    under 2.4.21... I just printed a page on my USB printer a moment ago.

    Actually the only error mesages I get is when 2.6 tries to load a module like
    usb-uhci (named UHCI-hcd under 2.6) as per /etc/modules entry... but
    apparently this does not have any impact... I just wonder why they changed
    the module names.
    > About ALSA, it's perfectly working the last time I try them. But it
    > seems we need some change in the alsa init scripts. For me, the solution
    > was just compiled alsa into the kernel.
    Sorry, I just forgot to compile support for my graphic card under ALSA... I
    corrected that and now ALSA works

    > Now ACPI. I think it work. But acpid and acpi package doesn't recognize
    > the existance, but I haven't try with /sys enabled yet. And another
    > thing, I got hang on resume with ACPI.
    OK, I'll try ACPI soon... we'll see.

    Marino Fernandez Guest

  5. #5

    On Tuesday 22 July 2003 3:50 pm, Micha Feigin wrote:
    > The usbfs does matter if you also use usb file system on 2.4 since the
    > name has been changed from usbdevfs. There is back support for the old
    > name but I don't belive that forward support ;)
    I do not think so. I changed /etc/fstab like this:

    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0

    And as I said, I printed stuff with my USB printer using 2.4.21, I downloaded
    photos from my USB camera in 2.4.21 and 2.6.0... I have not tried to sync my
    palm yet.

    Marino Fernandez Guest

  6. #6

    On Monday 21 July 2003 11:16 pm, Marino Fernandez wrote:
    Fixed:
    A) ALSA fixed... just forgot to compile supoort for my kernel.
    TODO:
    A) Enable USB support from startup... I guess adding usbcore and uhci-hcd to
    /et/modules will do...
    B) try ACPI

    Marino Fernandez Guest