Professional Web Applications Themes

Kernel Compile the Debian Way... was ADI Soundmax 1881 (intel chipset) w/ ALSA Drivers - Debian

  1. #1

    Default Kernel Compile the Debian Way... was RE: ADI Soundmax 1881 (intel chipset) w/ ALSA Drivers

    Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
    > Ah, I didn't realize you weren't doing things The Debian Way.
    > In this case it's extra important that you remember to *delete*
    > or otherwise move the /lib/modules directory that's created when
    > you compile your kernel. If you don't you *may* end up not having
    > the new modules put into the directory. This happened to me several
    > times when I was trying to get my wireless card working--without
    > deleting the directory the old drivers weren't overwritten when I
    > compiled a new kernel.
    I did end up figuring out that I needed to rename the /lib/modules directory
    in order to get the kernel and modules to build correctly. I am currently
    writing you on the computer running this new kernel. (Well, using Outlook
    running on VMWare, running on the new kernel! ;-) However, I did not want
    to do things this way. I wanted to do it the Debian way. I ran into
    problems with things working using make-kpkg. I just looked at the man page
    on make-kpkg. I understand what you were saying now with the
    "--append-to-version" argument. It seems to me that this is used to
    differentiate between one or more kernels that the sysadmin has customized.
    Apparently this command inserts a value (rather appends) the value of the
    EXTRAVERSION variable in the Linux Makefile. Good to know.

    So my final question then is this, what should be the steps one goes through
    to compile the kernel the "Debian Way"? I used "Dwarf's Guide to Debian
    GNU/Linux" to guide me through this process. The guide outlines two methods
    for building a custom kernel. The "typical" way and the "Debian Way". The
    procedure for the typical way is as follows:
    make mrproper
    make xconfig
    make dep
    make clean
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install

    The procedure for the "Debian Way" is:
    make xconfig
    make-kpkg kernel-image

    Should I be doing other steps when doing it the Debian way? For instance
    instead of first running make xconfig should I run make mrproper? After I
    run make-kpkg kernel-image should I run make modules and make
    modules_install? Or does make-kpkg kernel-image take care of all of this
    for me?

    Thanks for your time!

    Michael

    Michael Kahle Guest

  2. #2

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:54:54 -0500
    Michael Kahle <michael.kahlescc-wi.com> wrote:
    > The procedure for the "Debian Way" is:
    > make xconfig
    > make-kpkg kernel-image
    >
    > Should I be doing other steps when doing it the Debian way? For instance
    > instead of first running make xconfig should I run make mrproper? After I
    > run make-kpkg kernel-image should I run make modules and make
    > modules_install? Or does make-kpkg kernel-image take care of all of this
    > for me?
    The short answer is look here:

    [url]http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html[/url]

    The idea of make-kpkg was to automate that long sequence of steps; after you
    configure the kernel and make the kernel image all you need to do is install
    the kernel image .deb.

    By default make-kpkg runs distclean (cleaner than mrproper) after building
    the kernel .deb (it moves the .config file out of the way first, and
    restores it afterward).

    Kevin

    Kevin McKinley Guest