Professional Web Applications Themes

kernel error - how to recover? - Sun Solaris

"Paul Mazzei" <pmazzei> wrote in message news:2OydnTyys4BnvrqiU-KYvgcomcast.com... > During my last reboot I get following message: > "boot: Cannot open kernel/sparcV9/unix". How do I recover from this if the > kernel is corrupt or missing? Sun doentation says 'This error occurs > when you override the location of the boot -file by explicitly setting it to > /kernel/unix" and the solution is to > > reset the boot -file in the PROM to " " (blank) > ensure that the diag-switch is set to off and to true > > but I can't find any details on how to do ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: kernel error - how to recover?

    "Paul Mazzei" <pmazzei> wrote in message
    > During my last reboot I get following message:
    > "boot: Cannot open kernel/sparcV9/unix". How do I recover from this if
    the
    > kernel is corrupt or missing? Sun doentation says 'This error occurs
    > when you override the location of the boot -file by explicitly setting it
    > /kernel/unix" and the solution is to
    >
    > reset the boot -file in the PROM to " " (blank)
    > ensure that the diag-switch is set to off and to true
    >
    > but I can't find any details on how to do this.
    >
    > I also found somewhere else where it recommends to boot from the
    > installation CD and break out into single-user mode, create a /temp
    > directory and mount the the boot drive, but if I try this I get 'read-only
    > file system'. Help! :)
    >
    > Paul

    At the OBP prompt try:

    set-default boot-file

    Then try rebooting. But if the OBP can't find kernel/sparcv9/unix then you
    could have other problems, like the file might be gone.

    MasterToyFixer

    Tuesday Guest

  2. #2

    This happens when the system is not able to find the unix file. Please
    follow the following steps:-

    1. Boot the system and press STOP a to bring the system at prompt
    mode.
    2 Type boot -single to boot the system in single user mode. After
    booting the system in single user mode, check whether particular file
    is available or not. If not copy from the alternate location and
    reboot the system, system will come up. If you are not able to find
    the unix image file from alternate location also then goto step 3.
    3. Then follow the different options, if another identical system is
    running, type boot -net (Boot from network). If it is not so, give
    command boot -cdrom to boot from cdrom, mount it and copy the unix
    image.
    4. Now reboot the system, system is ready for use.

    Still if u face the problem, let me know.

    Jitender Chugh

    "Tuesday" <no1homecomcast.net> wrote in message news:<rLGVa.9421$cF.3713rwcrnsc53>...
    > "Paul Mazzei" <pmazzei> wrote in message
    > > During my last reboot I get following message:
    > > "boot: Cannot open kernel/sparcV9/unix". How do I recover from this if
    > the
    > > kernel is corrupt or missing? Sun doentation says 'This error occurs
    > > when you override the location of the boot -file by explicitly setting it
    > > /kernel/unix" and the solution is to
    > >
    > > reset the boot -file in the PROM to " " (blank)
    > > ensure that the diag-switch is set to off and to true
    > >
    > > but I can't find any details on how to do this.
    > >
    > > I also found somewhere else where it recommends to boot from the
    > > installation CD and break out into single-user mode, create a /temp
    > > directory and mount the the boot drive, but if I try this I get 'read-only
    > > file system'. Help! :)
    > >
    > > Paul
    > >

    > At the OBP prompt try:
    >
    > set-default boot-file
    >
    > Then try rebooting. But if the OBP can't find kernel/sparcv9/unix then you
    > could have other problems, like the file might be gone.
    >
    > MasterToyFixer
    Jitender Chugh Guest

  3. #3

    In <2OydnTyys4BnvrqiU-KYvgcomcast.com> "Paul Mazzei" <pmazzei> writes:
    >During my last reboot I get following message:
    >"boot: Cannot open kernel/sparcV9/unix". How do I recover from this if the
    >kernel is corrupt or missing?
    the kernel is not corrupt, the "V" is supposed to be lower-case. you
    should be careful about typos if you are going to be a sysadmin.
    >Sun doentation says 'This error occurs
    >when you override the location of the boot -file by explicitly setting it to
    >/kernel/unix" and the solution is to
    >reset the boot -file in the PROM to " " (blank)
    that does not set the boot-file to a blank, it sets it to the empty
    string. the first blank after the opening quote is not part of
    the string in Forth.

    get yourself to the OpenBoot prompt ("ok" prompt) and type:

    set-default boot-file

    or just fix the typo:

    setenv boot-file kernel/sparcv9/unix
    ultrasparc3@hotmail.com Guest