Professional Web Applications Themes

Kernel newbie: filesystem mounts as read-only - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello all, Basic situation is that I am tinkering with kernel rebuilds. I am using the source tree supplied by the USAGI project (for experimenting with IPv6). I built exactly the same source on a slightly different machine last week and didn't get this problem. After compiling and installing the kernel, using the makefile install target (i.e. it calls /sbin/kernelinstall and mkinitrd) and then rebooting I find that the disk is being mounted read-only. I manually added my new lines to grub.conf and only altered the references to the img and kernel files - these seem to be getting picked ...

  1. #1

    Default Kernel newbie: filesystem mounts as read-only

    Hello all,

    Basic situation is that I am tinkering with kernel rebuilds. I am
    using the source tree supplied by the USAGI project (for experimenting
    with IPv6). I built exactly the same source on a slightly different
    machine last week and didn't get this problem.

    After compiling and installing the kernel, using the makefile install
    target (i.e. it calls /sbin/kernelinstall and mkinitrd) and then
    rebooting I find that the disk is being mounted read-only.

    I manually added my new lines to grub.conf and only altered the
    references to the img and kernel files - these seem to be getting
    picked up fine...

    I have module support for the appropriate SCSI driver and am using
    mkinitrd to provide these in a ramdisk at boot (in fact, all this is
    done automagically by the install targets).

    Difficult for me to post any logs (cos it can't write any) but does
    this ring a bell for anyone? Could I be missing some critical driver?
    I lost a few hours last week cos I hadn't included the ext3 fs driver
    - this problem took a while to diagnose because of the fairly cryptic
    messages. My only other clue here is that the machine seems to be
    going to init 3 - shouldn't this be 5 (standard RH9 machine)? Anyway,
    I don't normally see this init message at boot time so I assume its
    some kind of remedial action it is taking because of something I have
    misconfigured.

    Any light gratefully received
    cam
    cam Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Kernel newbie: filesystem mounts as read-only

    On 15 Jul 2003 04:30:01 -0700, cam
    <camccuk> wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Basic situation is that I am tinkering with kernel rebuilds. I am
    > using the source tree supplied by the USAGI project (for experimenting
    > with IPv6). I built exactly the same source on a slightly different
    > machine last week and didn't get this problem.
    >
    > After compiling and installing the kernel, using the makefile install
    > target (i.e. it calls /sbin/kernelinstall and mkinitrd) and then
    > rebooting I find that the disk is being mounted read-only.
    >
    > I manually added my new lines to grub.conf and only altered the
    > references to the img and kernel files - these seem to be getting
    > picked up fine...

    Do you have an /etc/fstab with an entry for the root directory?
    One of the startup scripts should check the root filesystem and remount
    it read-write. On my Debian system it's /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh.

    --
    Here I am, fifty-eight, and I still don't know what I want to be when
    I grow up.