Professional Web Applications Themes

Kernel panic - Linux / Unix Administration

I have Slackware Linux 9.1 installed on my computer for about a year. Everything worked just fine untill yesterday. When I tryed to go to Linux, 'he' gave me this message: " UMSDOS: msdos_read_super failed, mount aborted FAT: bogus logical sector size 53429 FAT: bogus logical sector size 53429 sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ide0 (3, 3) Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03 " I have installed Win98 on the same computer a week ago, but Slackware worked ok after that. I just noticed that I had to modify X-Windows configuration, because monitor, graphic ...

  1. #1

    Default Kernel panic

    I have Slackware Linux 9.1 installed on my computer for about a year.
    Everything worked just fine untill yesterday. When I tryed to go to
    Linux, 'he' gave me this message:

    " UMSDOS: msdos_read_super failed, mount aborted
    FAT: bogus logical sector size 53429
    FAT: bogus logical sector size 53429
    sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ide0 (3, 3)
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03 "

    I have installed Win98 on the same computer a week ago, but Slackware
    worked ok after that. I just noticed that I had to modify X-Windows
    configuration, because monitor, graphic card and CD-ROM was not
    adjusted as they should be. I have CD writer, and he was mounted as
    SCSI - Slackware 'suggested' me to do that. But, after w98
    installation, Slack could not find him on /dev/scd0, so I tryed to
    find it on /dev/... and i think that i might tryed to mount hdd as
    cd-rom ( :) ). Could that be the cause of my problem?

    Either way, HELP ME!!!! I have a program to do(homework for faculty) -
    deadline is Monday!
    milan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Kernel panic

    [email]ml01248alas.matf.bg.ac.yu[/email] (milan) writes:
    > " UMSDOS: msdos_read_super failed, mount aborted
    > FAT: bogus logical sector size 53429
    > FAT: bogus logical sector size 53429
    > sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ide0 (3, 3)
    > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03 "
    >
    > I have installed Win98 on the same computer a week ago, but Slackware
    > worked ok after that. I just noticed that I had to modify X-Windows
    > configuration, because monitor, graphic card and CD-ROM was not
    > adjusted as they should be. I have CD writer, and he was mounted as
    > SCSI - Slackware 'suggested' me to do that. But, after w98
    > installation, Slack could not find him on /dev/scd0, so I tryed to
    > find it on /dev/... and i think that i might tryed to mount hdd as
    > cd-rom ( :) ). Could that be the cause of my problem?

    Hi there!

    It seems to me that this problem is related to problems mounting your root
    filesystem.

    Did you ever experience a working Slackware after installing Win98 ? Else
    it might seem as one of your linux-partitions are lost or damaged during
    the install.
    --
    Øystein
    Øystein Folkvord Guest

  3. #3

    [email]ml01248alas.matf.bg.ac.yu[/email] (milan) wrote in message news:<25a40b00.0405240110.42a137c9posting.google. com>...
    > I have Slackware Linux 9.1 installed on my computer for about a year.
    > Everything worked just fine untill yesterday. When I tryed to go to
    > Linux, 'he' gave me this message:
    >
    > " UMSDOS: msdos_read_super failed, mount aborted
    > FAT: bogus logical sector size 53429
    > FAT: bogus logical sector size 53429
    > sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ide0 (3, 3)
    > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03 "
    >
    > I have installed Win98 on the same computer a week ago, but Slackware
    > worked ok after that. I just noticed that I had to modify X-Windows
    > configuration, because monitor, graphic card and CD-ROM was not
    > adjusted as they should be. I have CD writer, and he was mounted as
    > SCSI - Slackware 'suggested' me to do that. But, after w98
    > installation, Slack could not find him on /dev/scd0, so I tryed to
    > find it on /dev/... and i think that i might tryed to mount hdd as
    > cd-rom ( :) ). Could that be the cause of my problem?
    >
    > Either way, HELP ME!!!! I have a program to do(homework for faculty) -
    > deadline is Monday!
    I forgot to mention that I CAN'T type any command to operating system,
    because it freezes before any prompt is shown. My guess is that I will
    need reinstallation of Linux. I will do it tomorrow, as soon as I get
    installation discs. So, if U can help me, do it bvefore tomorrow!
    milan Guest

  4. #4

    milan <ml01248alas.matf.bg.ac.yu> wrote:
    > I have Slackware Linux 9.1 installed on my computer for about a year.
    > Everything worked just fine untill yesterday. When I tryed to go to
    > Linux, 'he' gave me this message:
    > " UMSDOS: msdos_read_super failed, mount aborted
    > FAT: bogus logical sector size 53429
    > FAT: bogus logical sector size 53429
    > sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ide0 (3, 3)
    > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03 "
    > I have installed Win98 on the same computer a week ago, but Slackware
    > worked ok after that. I just noticed that I had to modify X-Windows
    > configuration, because monitor, graphic card and CD-ROM was not
    > adjusted as they should be. I have CD writer, and he was mounted as
    > SCSI - Slackware 'suggested' me to do that. But, after w98
    > installation, Slack could not find him on /dev/scd0, so I tryed to
    > find it on /dev/... and i think that i might tryed to mount hdd as
    > cd-rom ( :) ). Could that be the cause of my problem?
    > Either way, HELP ME!!!! I have a program to do(homework for faculty) -
    > deadline is Monday!
    Time to restore your backup ... ( you could use a rescuedisk and
    examine partition tables, run fsck etc)

    --
    Peter Håkanson
    phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu Guest

  5. #5

    [email]ml01248alas.matf.bg.ac.yu[/email] (milan) writes:
    > I forgot to mention that I CAN'T type any command to operating
    > system, because it freezes before any prompt is shown. My guess is
    > that I will need reinstallation of Linux. I will do it tomorrow, as
    > soon as I get installation discs. So, if U can help me, do it
    > bvefore tomorrow!
    Your root file system ("/") seems to inaccessible for some
    reason. If you access to a CD burner you could try using one of the
    'recovery distributions' to investigate more.

    People recommend Knoppix (it has a lot more than just recovery
    tools):

    [url]http://www.knoppix.org/[/url]

    There's an article on it as well:

    [url]http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-knopx.html[/url]