Professional Web Applications Themes

kernel panic on root - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have RH9, and I am trying to install the latest kernel, 2.4.21. It compiles fine, no probs there. I even used the make install command which adds the new kernel to the grub.conf file. When it comes to reboot and i pick 2.4.21, the kernel panics when it tries to mount the root directory. It has root=LABEL=/ as a boot option. The kernel says cant find device "LABEL=/" use proper "root=" boot option. My boot directory is at /dev/hde2, root is at /dev/hde5. I have tried setting root=/dev/hde5 at startup, doesnt work. My hd is a 60gig Western Digital ...

  1. #1

    Default kernel panic on root

    I have RH9, and I am trying to install the latest kernel, 2.4.21. It
    compiles fine, no probs there. I even used the make install command which
    adds the new kernel to the grub.conf file. When it comes to reboot and i
    pick 2.4.21, the kernel panics when it tries to mount the root directory.
    It has root=LABEL=/ as a boot option. The kernel says cant find device
    "LABEL=/" use proper "root=" boot option. My boot directory is at
    /dev/hde2, root is at /dev/hde5. I have tried setting root=/dev/hde5 at
    startup, doesnt work. My hd is a 60gig Western Digital that is connected
    to a pci card since my bios is too old to support the drive. Please help, I
    really want to see whats so good about the 2.4.21 kernel.

    David.
    David M Noriega Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: kernel panic on root

    David M Noriega wrote:
    > I have RH9, and I am trying to install the latest kernel, 2.4.21. It
    > compiles fine, no probs there. I even used the make install command which
    > adds the new kernel to the grub.conf file. When it comes to reboot and i
    > pick 2.4.21, the kernel panics when it tries to mount the root directory.
    > It has root=LABEL=/ as a boot option. The kernel says cant find device
    > "LABEL=/" use proper "root=" boot option. My boot directory is at
    > /dev/hde2, root is at /dev/hde5. I have tried setting root=/dev/hde5 at
    > startup, doesnt work. My hd is a 60gig Western Digital that is connected
    > to a pci card since my bios is too old to support the drive. Please help,
    > I really want to see whats so good about the 2.4.21 kernel.
    >
    > David.
    Label and root are on separate lines
    label=linux (for example)
    root=/dev/hde5

    seems to be what you need. Label is what appears in your LILO menu, so it
    must be unique. Up the top, default=(put here the label of the image you
    want to be the default.)

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    Registered Linux user No. 277548.
    Linux: in a world without fences, who needs Gates?

  3. #3

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > David M Noriega wrote:
    >
    >> I have RH9, and I am trying to install the latest kernel, 2.4.21. It
    >> compiles fine, no probs there. I even used the make install command
    >> which
    >> adds the new kernel to the grub.conf file. When it comes to reboot and i
    >> pick 2.4.21, the kernel panics when it tries to mount the root directory.
    >> It has root=LABEL=/ as a boot option. The kernel says cant find device
    >> "LABEL=/" use proper "root=" boot option. My boot directory is at
    >> /dev/hde2, root is at /dev/hde5. I have tried setting root=/dev/hde5 at
    >> startup, doesnt work. My hd is a 60gig Western Digital that is connected
    >> to a pci card since my bios is too old to support the drive. Please help,
    >> I really want to see whats so good about the 2.4.21 kernel.
    > Label and root are on separate lines
    > label=linux (for example)
    > root=/dev/hde5
    >
    > seems to be what you need. Label is what appears in your LILO menu, so it
    > must be unique. Up the top, default=(put here the label of the image you
    > want to be the default.)
    I think you misunderstand his posting.
    His LABEL refers to the partition label,
    which can be used in place of the device name.

    I would advise replacing LABEL=/ in lilo.conf
    by the actual device, eg root=/dev/hde5 ,
    and running LILO to get it written
    (preferably in the MBR of the first disk).

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: [email]timbirdsnest.maths.tcd.ie[/email]

  4. #4

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 at 13:07 GMT, Timothy Murphy eloquently wrote:
    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> David M Noriega wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have RH9, and I am trying to install the latest kernel, 2.4.21. It
    >>> compiles fine, no probs there. I even used the make install command
    >>> which
    >>> adds the new kernel to the grub.conf file. When it comes to reboot and i
    >>> pick 2.4.21, the kernel panics when it tries to mount the root directory.
    >>> It has root=LABEL=/ as a boot option. The kernel says cant find device
    >>> "LABEL=/" use proper "root=" boot option. My boot directory is at
    >>> /dev/hde2, root is at /dev/hde5. I have tried setting root=/dev/hde5 at
    >>> startup, doesnt work. My hd is a 60gig Western Digital that is connected
    >>> to a pci card since my bios is too old to support the drive. Please help,
    >>> I really want to see whats so good about the 2.4.21 kernel.
    >
    >> Label and root are on separate lines
    >> label=linux (for example)
    >> root=/dev/hde5
    >>
    >> seems to be what you need. Label is what appears in your LILO menu, so it
    >> must be unique. Up the top, default=(put here the label of the image you
    >> want to be the default.)
    >
    > I think you misunderstand his posting.
    > His LABEL refers to the partition label,
    > which can be used in place of the device name.
    >
    > I would advise replacing LABEL=/ in lilo.conf
    > by the actual device, eg root=/dev/hde5 ,
    > and running LILO to get it written
    > (preferably in the MBR of the first disk).
    Yeah but the OP uses grub. I think the options chosen
    during the config stage are incomplete. The OP needs
    to state what he did. Did he copy the config-<kernel version>
    from boot to /path/to/<kernel-2.4.21>/.config and do a make
    oldconfig before make [menu|x]config???

    --
    Registered Linux User # 125653 ([url]http://counter.li.org[/url]) | Please remove
    Certified: 55% , 31% of which is tard. | '.invalid'