Professional Web Applications Themes

Kernel/Stp0 Problems - Pls help! - SCO

Hi, Firstly, sorry if this post is badly formed. I've just spent about 10 hours on a customer site ... and my brain is fried. I upgraded a customer installation from SCO OpenServer 5.0.3 to 5.0.7. To my surprise it let me - contrary to the SCO 5.0.7 release doents. A few things broke - but nothing too troublesome. Now, after the upgrade, I could no longer write to the tape drive (a SCSI DAT/DDS drive). All I got was an error message "Cannot Open Device" or somesuch. I thought perhaps the device file no longer reflected the current hardware ...

  1. #1

    Default Kernel/Stp0 Problems - Pls help!

    Hi,

    Firstly, sorry if this post is badly formed. I've just spent about 10 hours
    on a customer site ... and my brain is fried.

    I upgraded a customer installation from SCO OpenServer 5.0.3 to 5.0.7. To
    my surprise it let me - contrary to the SCO 5.0.7 release doents. A few
    things broke - but nothing too troublesome.

    Now, after the upgrade, I could no longer write to the tape drive (a SCSI
    DAT/DDS drive). All I got was an error message "Cannot Open Device" or
    somesuch.

    I thought perhaps the device file no longer reflected the current hardware
    config (not that it would have changed but ... worth a try). I then
    discover the 'mkdev' command, which seems to do some SCO magic, and with a
    'mkdev tape' it does all the hard work for me :)

    However, firstly - it can't create the device as it already exists. Fine, I
    run the 'mkdev tape' again, and tell it to remove the device. Fine.
    Then I try to recreate it, and it complains it already exists - but select
    'view current config' from within mkdev, and it says there's no devices
    configured. Odd. All of this involved several kernel re-builds and
    reboots. I thought perhaps it had removed the device file, but hadn't
    removed the kernel module ... and I had to idea how to fix this.

    As a last resort - I ripped the side of the server, and changed the scsi ID
    of the tape drive. Ran mkdev tape, gave it the necessary numbers, and it
    all seemed to work fine. Rebuild/link kernel, reboot ... all going well.
    Try to read/write to tape ... 'Can't Open Device'.

    I've tried manually relinking the kernel - and answering 'y' to all the
    options (relink, use as default boot, recreate kernel environment). No
    difference.

    The scsi controller and device ID are all correct. The tape drive
    definately works, as before the upgrade I did a full backup.

    Checking other usenet posts - I see 'sconf -v' and /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
    mentioned - neither of which I was aware of today. I think I just checked
    'hwconf' (?) and relied on mkdev to do its magic (probably a mistake).

    Please, any pointers would be very much appreciated. How do I get that
    drive working again?

    Regards,

    Steve
    Bristol, UK

    Steve Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Kernel/Stp0 Problems - Pls help!

    "Steve" <co.uk> wrote in message
    hours
    few
    hardware

    Fine, I
    select
    ID
    it
    well.
    checked

    Ok. Some odd questions for you.

    When it was failing to create the tape drive, it was probably because all
    of the old details were not successfully removed (been there, done that,
    yay mscsi file). After you recreated it, even though it was listed as
    device 0 in mkdev tape, does a /dev/nrStp1 exist?

    The 'mscsi' file lists the disk-based devices that are attached to the
    system (well, that's my understanding of it. Thought it was jsut SCSI, but
    htere's 'wd' entries in there, IDE).

    There is also a reference to installed devices under
    /etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.h (in the section between "BEGIN SCO_STP
    ENHANCEMENTS" (and "END ...").

    Occasionally (reasons unknown to me, but i've "seen it happen") when
    removing a device, the entries from each of these files does not get
    removed. If the count of these details is incorrect, device hiccups occur.

    If you've only got one tape drive (which I assume you do), then ensure that
    both the '/etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi' and '/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.h' have one
    entry a piece for the tape device.

    I'm reasonably certain this is covered in one of the TA's.. Just not sure
    of the number ;)

    Anyway, hope this helps some.

    bkx

    Stuart Guest

  3. #3

    Stuart J. Browne typed (on Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:21:15AM +1000):

> [...]
    | device 0 in mkdev tape, does a /dev/nrStp1 exist?
    |
    | The 'mscsi' file lists the disk-based devices that are attached to the
    | system (well, that's my understanding of it. Thought it was jsut SCSI, but
    | htere's 'wd' entries in there, IDE).
    |
    | There is also a reference to installed devices under
    | /etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.h (in the section between "BEGIN SCO_STP
    | ENHANCEMENTS" (and "END ...").
    |
    | Occasionally (reasons unknown to me, but i've "seen it happen") when
    | removing a device, the entries from each of these files does not get
    | removed. If the count of these details is incorrect, device hiccups occur.
    |
    | If you've only got one tape drive (which I assume you do), then ensure that
    | both the '/etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi' and '/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.h' have one
    | entry a piece for the tape device.
    |
    | I'm reasonably certain this is covered in one of the TA's.. Just not sure

    TA# 109447

    support.sco.com and search by TA#. This should pull it up.

    --

    Best Regards,
    Eric Nicholson, Exec VP - com [News Group]

    Eric Guest

  4. #4

    <snip>

    that
    one
    sure

    Thanks ... with your help I've now fixed this. It was a case of the
    /etc/conf files having incorrect entries.

    As I'm new to SCO this wasn't obvious ... but it's something I'll now
    remember :)

    Thanks again - it's great to find this group so helpful.

    Regards,

    Steve
    Bristol, UK

    Steve Guest