On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:05:21 -0400
Emma Jane Hogbin <emmajanextrinsic.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:58:33AM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> > The .config file won't be overwritten if you use a different
> > --append-to-version value for each new kernel. It's saved as
> > /boot/config-<version><--append-to-version>.
>
> It is overwritten then, but it is also saved in another directory.
I didn't understand what you were getting at.

Clarifying/amplifying what I said before:

"There can be only one" <kernel_src_dir>/.config, so it is replaced each
time you save and exit menuconfig or xconfig. (The one you started with is
moved to .config.old.)

This is true whether or not you use make-kpkg, and it's true whether or not
you patch the kernel.

make-kpkg puts a copy of .config in the kernel .deb. The config isn't really
saved in /boot as I wrote before; it's written there along with the kernel
and System.map when you install the kernel .deb.

If you want to move a configuration out of harm's way before changing it,
the easiest way is probably to copy it to another name (other than
..config.old).

I'm sorry for the poor wording before; the stuff you already know is for
lurkers. :)

Kevin