Professional Web Applications Themes

Keynote versus PowerPoint - Mac Applications & Software

Hi, Sorry if this is going over old ground, but I've about had it with PowerPoint. Can any users of Keynote share their impressions with me? Thanks -Mark...

  1. #1

    Default Keynote versus PowerPoint

    Marcus646@hotmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Keynote versus PowerPoint

    In article <comcast.net>,
    com wrote:

    I wrote a review for my local MUG. You can find it in the current
    newsletter at <http://www.smmug.org/Pages/SMMUG_Newsletter.pdf>

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  3. #3

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:43:29 -0400, com wrote
    (in message <comcast.net>):

    The only problem with using Keynote is that a lot of people use PP. I do a
    lot of presentation, and everyone loves how Keynote looks during the
    presentation.

    The only way I have found to share the presentation is using PDFs. I create
    a PDF and email that to everyone.

    J Guest

  4. #4

    In article
    <tampabay.rr.com>,
    J <com> wrote:

    > The only problem with using Keynote is that a lot of people use PP. I do a
    > lot of presentation, and everyone loves how Keynote looks during the
    > presentation.
    >
    > The only way I have found to share the presentation is using PDFs. I create
    > a PDF and email that to everyone.[/ref]

    If the problem is that other people use PowerPoint, why not export to
    PowerPoint format?

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  5. #5

    In article <tph-ABD11F.18260211092003localhost>,
    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > If the problem is that other people use PowerPoint, why not export to
    > PowerPoint format?[/ref]

    In my experience at least, PDF works superbly; has fewer problems with
    font difficulties and with projectors; enjoys widespread -- might as
    well say universal -- acceptability on other systems; creates more
    compact files; has superb sorting and projecting capabilities; and is
    just generally better.

    The fact that it allows one to cut Microsoft out of the picture is a
    secondary, though not trivial, side benefit.
    AES/newspost Guest

  6. #6

    In article <stanford.edu>,
    AES/newspost <edu> wrote:

    > > If the problem is that other people use PowerPoint, why not export to
    > > PowerPoint format?[/ref]
    >
    > In my experience at least, PDF works superbly; has fewer problems with
    > font difficulties and with projectors; enjoys widespread -- might as
    > well say universal -- acceptability on other systems; creates more
    > compact files; has superb sorting and projecting capabilities; and is
    > just generally better.
    >
    > The fact that it allows one to cut Microsoft out of the picture is a
    > secondary, though not trivial, side benefit.[/ref]

    I agree with all of that. I only mentioned PowerPoint export because
    someone suggested other people using it was a problem for Keynote users.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  7. #7

    In article <comcast.net>,
    <com> wrote:

    I have been looking at Keynote 1.1...

    I like:
    - Transitions, builds, animations
    - Nicer themes
    - Import from PowerPoint.
    - I'm thinking of trying to work in Keynote, export to .pdf to pass on
    to others
    - It's an Apple product

    I am frustrated by these shortfalls when importing from PowerPoint
    - PowerPoint page number, placed with View -> Slide Master, footer...
    Doesn't show in Keynote. This we could get around.

    - Text boxes have lost their Fill -> Background attribute. Appears
    that there is no fill attribute for a text box. Text can have shadows,
    though, and it's very neat.

    - The real problem is ARCs with arrowheads... You know, a curved line
    with an arrowhead. Make and edit them in PowerPoint. When importing to
    Keynote, arrowheads are missing on ARCs. Cannot edit ARC imported from
    powerpoint; cannot change stroke, arrowhead, etc. Connectors with S
    shape lose their Arrowheads. (Straight Lines do keep their arrowheads.)
    In Keynote, cannot draw an ARC; and obviously can't draw ARC w/
    Arrowhead. This would be a showstoper for the users I support.

    Any workarounds for arc with arrowhead in Keynote?

    -- Sally

    --
    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    com -or- org

  8. #8

    In article <280920031643103260%com>,
    Sally Shears <com> wrote:

    In my experience, Keynote itself is pretty useless at such diagrams. It
    doesn't help you for your powerpoint import problems, but I tend to
    create such diagrams in OmniGraffle, copy them as PDF into the
    clipboard, and then paste that into Keynote. Works very nicely.

    My major gripe with it is that I haven't worked out how to do an X-Y
    scatter plot with its graphing tools - it seems very much aimed at the
    business chart, where accuracy of scale is not important.

    Tim

    Tim Guest