Professional Web Applications Themes

knife tool - Macromedia Fireworks

I am making an egg shape ----i want to divide the egg into 6 sections so that i can make buttons --when i use the knife tool it cuts the first piece good but i cant cut any more sections --what am i doing wrong that i cant cut more shapes?? thankyou for any help Sherro -below is an example http://www.projectseven.com/hof/index.htm...

  1. #1

    Default knife tool

    I am making an egg shape ----i want to divide the egg into 6 sections so
    that i can make buttons --when i use the knife tool it cuts the first piece
    good but i cant cut any more sections --what am i doing wrong that i cant
    cut more shapes??
    thankyou for any help
    Sherro

    -below is an example

    http://www.projectseven.com/hof/index.htm

    Terry Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: knife tool

    Doing this kind of thing in Fireworks is a little clunky, in my experience.
    Freehand may be a better choice, as its vector tools are much more flexible.
    Anyway, what I discovered while trying to te your sliced egg, is that
    you will need to "close" the path of each shape, after you make your cut,
    or at least close the path on the remain part of the egg.

    Here's one way to do this (there may be an easier, faster way, but this
    worked):

    I'd recommend dragging in Guides to help you with the cutting.

    Make your first cut. Deselect the shape, then reselect only the part of the
    shape you just cut. SHIFT+UP ARROW to
    bump this piece up 10 px at a time.

    Now select the remaining shape. Go to MODIFY>COMBINE PATHS>JOIN
    (CTRL/CMD+J). This will close the path on the remaining shape, but the path
    with have a curve to it.

    Select the PEN tool and click ONCE (do NOT drag) on the two upper path
    points. They will change from a small circle to a small square, and
    straighten out the top of the path.

    Rinse and repeat as often as you need, in order to create your slices. Once
    you get the hang of it, it goes rather quickly.

    Now if you just need the cut up areas, without any bevelled edges (as in the
    example), you could just create a whole set of slices and export them out as
    seperate files.

    HTH

    --
    | Jim Babbage - CMX
    | Newmedia Services
    | * Web Design * Photography * Training * Consulting *
    | http://www.nms123.ca | ca

    | Extending Knowledge, Daily
    | http://www.communityMX.com/
    | CommunityMX - Free Resources
    | http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
    | No registration required

    -

    "Terry Sheridan" <com.au> wrote in message
    piece

    Jim Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bufhku$660$macromedia.com>,
    "Terry Sheridan" <com.au> wrote:

    Don't use the Knife. I like Linda Rathgeber's method: make a 6-pointed
    star (using the Polygon tool) with the skinniest-possible points; drag
    in onto your oval and punch. If you do this about 4X the final size you
    need and then shrink it, you'll have little or no tidying up to do.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  4. #4

    Thankyou Jim for your help---
    i have tried your way of doing it ---it is hard to acheive ---the knife wont
    register after the first cut -i can get the first cut --after several tries
    i can get the second cut ----the rest goes easy after that ---when i get to
    the last part --bottom of the egg --using the pen tool alters the size of
    the egg so it dont look right --seems to cut away to qiuckly instead of
    keeping the nice curve
    Thanks once again for help ----learnt things i didnt know

    Sherro

    "Jim Babbage - CMX" <ca> wrote in message
    experience.
    flexible.
    that
    the
    path
    Once
    the
    as
    --
    > piece [/ref]
    cant

    >[/ref]

    Terry Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Lanny---gee mate i wouldnt now where to start here--is there a tute
    for this anywhere----
    sure like your Hummingbird site Lanny --very nice

    Sherro

    "Lanny Chambers" <net> wrote in message

    > Don't use the Knife. I like Linda Rathgeber's method: make a 6-pointed
    > star (using the Polygon tool) with the skinniest-possible points; drag
    > in onto your oval and punch. If you do this about 4X the final size you
    > need and then shrink it, you'll have little or no tidying up to do.
    >
    > --
    > Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    > http://www.hummingbirds.net/[/ref]

    Terry Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Terry,

    If you are trying to do the Egg on the Egg and I page, use rectangles to
    punch through the egg shape. They don't need to be more than 2 pixels high.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks a million Linda---------i have been mucking around for ages trying to
    get this darned egg --tho it is enjoyable
    your idea is absoluty terrific-----works a treat ---and my egg looks nearly
    as good as the one i am trying to imitate-----thanks for coming to the
    rescue Linda you are a gem-------thanks also to Jim and Lanny for their
    effort to help

    Sherro

    "Linda Rathgeber" <rr.com> wrote in message
    high.

    Terry Guest

  8. #8

    Terry,

    Kleanthis Economou has a command called 'Auto Slice' on his website in
    the Fireworks 3&4 section. It is really an awesome site and you'll want
    to spend some time there if you're going to be using Fireworks.

    http://www.projectfireworks.com/Lab.aspx?show=extension_fw_3_4.html

    It will divide up your egg in however many sections you need also. Once
    sliced, you can export the slices as separate images to use in your menu.

    It looks like you may need to download the entire Fireworks 3&4 commands
    as a bundle to get the Auto Slice command. It will work in Fireworks MX.

    Anyway, just another choice for you.

    Follow this link to find many other websites that offer tools, tutorials
    and resources for Fireworks.

    http://www.macromedia.com/go/13187

    SKB

    SKB Guest

  9. #9

    Boy oh boy what a great forum --thanks SKB--- will bookmark these sites and
    have a squizz----thanks for the direction

    Sherro

    "SKB" <com> wrote in message
    news:bugm52$ija$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    piece [/ref]
    cant
    >[/ref]

    Terry Guest