Professional Web Applications Themes

Kodak DX3600 Shutting down automatically - Photography

Rob wrote: > I have a Kodak DX3600 digital camera. I have stopped using the rechargable > battery as it got to the point that it would only take a few pictures and > then would need recharging. Not much good when on holiday. > So for the fast few months I have been using NiMh batteies. These have been > very good and have lasted for a good number of shots even with the camera > being left on for a bit.... > > BUT I went to use the camera last week and it said the battiries were ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Kodak DX3600 Shutting down automatically

    Rob wrote:
    > I have a Kodak DX3600 digital camera. I have stopped using the rechargable
    > battery as it got to the point that it would only take a few pictures and
    > then would need recharging. Not much good when on holiday.
    > So for the fast few months I have been using NiMh batteies. These have been
    > very good and have lasted for a good number of shots even with the camera
    > being left on for a bit....
    >
    > BUT I went to use the camera last week and it said the battiries were dead.
    > So i buy some new ones and they worked for a couple shots, turned it off and
    > on again a few minutes later to take some more shots and with the camera in
    > shoot mode it extended the lens then said "reading card" but then just shut
    > down leaving the lense out. Every time I now switch it on it gets to the
    > same point and dies. If I have it in browse mode I get to look a couple
    > pictures then it flashes the low battery and dies within seconds.
    > I have since tried 2 new sets of batteries and exactly the same happens, it
    > turns it self off within a few seconds of turning it on.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas or is the camera just shafted? I would have hoped it
    > would have lasted a bit longer than this.
    >
    > Rob

    Rob,
    First, the rechargeable battery you got if you bought the dock is a
    NIMH battery in a plastic holder, which notifies the dock that you have
    a rechargeable battery. If it stopped working then you need to either
    buy a new rechargeable pack from Kodak, or buy regular NIMH batteries
    with a charger, and properly recharge them. This entails about 3 or 4
    recharge cycles before they begin to work properly.

    When you said you bought new batteries, what type (NIMH, alakline,
    regular lead/acid) batteries did you buy? The symptom you describe is
    about what would happen if you put alkalines in that camera as it is NOT
    built for that voltage.

    Ron Hunter Guest

  2. #2

    Hi Rob,

    Sorry to hear about the battery situation. I suspect the reason is due to
    your letting the rechargeable lose power then having to recharge it. The
    battery that came with camera, I believe, were 2AA lithium batteries. The
    charger on the other hand included a NiMH battery pack. That is what you
    must be referring to?

    If so, please note that because batteries are chemical products involving
    internal chemical reactions, their performance may deteriorate with
    prolonged storage. NiMH rechargeable batteries, if not used for a while,
    may need to be reconditioned as you would when using them for the first
    time. Otherwise, deactivation of the internal reactants may cause decreased
    capacity, which causes premature termination of charging. In other words,
    the batteries will not charge completely, even though the dock indicates
    they have.

    If this happens, we have a couple of recommendations. First, make sure you
    have the latest firmware. If you don't, consider updating your camera to
    the latest version. You can locate the update by going to:

    [url]http://www.kodak.com/go/software[/url]

    Once there, choose your camera from the list. The next page will offer all
    the available software for your model, including any current firmware
    updates, if available. The firmware download will have a "Read-me" file
    that contains the directions for performing the update.

    Once you have successfully completed the update, we recommend conditioning
    your battery the way you would if it were being used for the first time, as
    we mentioned above. It is important that you be sure you always have a
    fully charged battery. To do so, place the camera on the KODAK EASYSHARE
    Camera Dock. When the charge light turns green (all three green lights are
    lit for a Dock II), then remove the camera from the dock FOR A MINIMUM OF 5
    MINUTES, and place it back on the dock. The 5 minutes the camera is off the
    dock are the key to correct recharging for a new or uncharged battery.
    Repeat this same process until the combined charging time, while the light
    is red on the dock, EQUALS A MINIMUM OF 2 HOURS.

    If you continue to have trouble or have questions, let me know, I am always
    glad to help.

    Ron Baird
    Kodak

    "Rob" <robconverytotalise.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have a Kodak DX3600 digital camera. I have stopped using the
    rechargable
    > battery as it got to the point that it would only take a few pictures and
    > then would need recharging. Not much good when on holiday.
    > So for the fast few months I have been using NiMh batteies. These have
    been
    > very good and have lasted for a good number of shots even with the camera
    > being left on for a bit....
    >
    > BUT I went to use the camera last week and it said the battiries were
    dead.
    > So i buy some new ones and they worked for a couple shots, turned it off
    and
    > on again a few minutes later to take some more shots and with the camera
    in
    > shoot mode it extended the lens then said "reading card" but then just
    shut
    > down leaving the lense out. Every time I now switch it on it gets to the
    > same point and dies. If I have it in browse mode I get to look a couple
    > pictures then it flashes the low battery and dies within seconds.
    > I have since tried 2 new sets of batteries and exactly the same happens,
    it
    > turns it self off within a few seconds of turning it on.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas or is the camera just shafted? I would have hoped it
    > would have lasted a bit longer than this.
    >
    > Rob

    Ron Baird Guest

  3. #3

    "Ron Hunter" <rphuntercharter.net> wrote in message
    news:4SePa.23998$Sh4.2393fe08.atl2.webusenet.com. ..
    > Rob wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Kodak DX3600 digital camera. I have stopped using the
    rechargable
    > > battery as it got to the point that it would only take a few pictures
    and
    > > then would need recharging. Not much good when on holiday.
    > > So for the fast few months I have been using NiMh batteies. These have
    been
    > > very good and have lasted for a good number of shots even with the
    camera
    > > being left on for a bit....
    > >
    > > BUT I went to use the camera last week and it said the battiries were
    dead.
    > > So i buy some new ones and they worked for a couple shots, turned it off
    and
    > > on again a few minutes later to take some more shots and with the camera
    in
    > > shoot mode it extended the lens then said "reading card" but then just
    shut
    > > down leaving the lense out. Every time I now switch it on it gets to the
    > > same point and dies. If I have it in browse mode I get to look a couple
    > > pictures then it flashes the low battery and dies within seconds.
    > > I have since tried 2 new sets of batteries and exactly the same happens,
    it
    > > turns it self off within a few seconds of turning it on.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any ideas or is the camera just shafted? I would have hoped
    it
    > > would have lasted a bit longer than this.
    > >
    > > Rob
    > >

    > Rob,
    > First, the rechargeable battery you got if you bought the dock is a
    > NIMH battery in a plastic holder, which notifies the dock that you have
    > a rechargeable battery. If it stopped working then you need to either
    > buy a new rechargeable pack from Kodak, or buy regular NIMH batteries
    > with a charger, and properly recharge them. This entails about 3 or 4
    > recharge cycles before they begin to work properly.
    >
    > When you said you bought new batteries, what type (NIMH, alakline,
    > regular lead/acid) batteries did you buy? The symptom you describe is
    > about what would happen if you put alkalines in that camera as it is NOT
    > built for that voltage.

    The battery I got with the camera was indeed the NiMH battery in the plastic
    holder. I am not too bothered about that as they obviously only have a
    certain life.

    When I said I have tried new batteries I meant I had tried new Duracell
    Alkaline, Sony & Rayovac heavy Duty ones. The fact these don't work is the
    annoying bit.

    Rob Guest

  4. #4

    "Ron Baird" <ronbairdkodak.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Rob,
    >
    > Sorry to hear about the battery situation. I suspect the reason is due to
    > your letting the rechargeable lose power then having to recharge it. The
    > battery that came with camera, I believe, were 2AA lithium batteries. The
    > charger on the other hand included a NiMH battery pack. That is what you
    > must be referring to?
    Yep that is the battery I got with the camera. Not too bothered about it
    going as they are going to go after a certain amount of charging.

    > If so, please note that because batteries are chemical products involving
    > internal chemical reactions, their performance may deteriorate with
    > prolonged storage. NiMH rechargeable batteries, if not used for a while,
    > may need to be reconditioned as you would when using them for the first
    > time. Otherwise, deactivation of the internal reactants may cause
    decreased
    > capacity, which causes premature termination of charging. In other words,
    > the batteries will not charge completely, even though the dock indicates
    > they have.
    >
    > If this happens, we have a couple of recommendations. First, make sure
    you
    > have the latest firmware. If you don't, consider updating your camera to
    > the latest version. You can locate the update by going to:
    >
    > [url]http://www.kodak.com/go/software[/url]
    >
    > Once there, choose your camera from the list. The next page will offer
    all
    > the available software for your model, including any current firmware
    > updates, if available. The firmware download will have a "Read-me" file
    > that contains the directions for performing the update.
    I have already put on the latest firmware (which I think mentioned something
    about bettery battery life ironicly :)

    > Once you have successfully completed the update, we recommend conditioning
    > your battery the way you would if it were being used for the first time,
    as
    > we mentioned above. It is important that you be sure you always have a
    > fully charged battery. To do so, place the camera on the KODAK EASYSHARE
    > Camera Dock. When the charge light turns green (all three green lights
    are
    > lit for a Dock II), then remove the camera from the dock FOR A MINIMUM OF
    5
    > MINUTES, and place it back on the dock. The 5 minutes the camera is off
    the
    > dock are the key to correct recharging for a new or uncharged battery.
    > Repeat this same process until the combined charging time, while the light
    > is red on the dock, EQUALS A MINIMUM OF 2 HOURS.
    I have lost the battery since so can't really do this. I do not think its
    due to the dead battery though as I have problems when using brand new
    normal AA batteries. I tried Sony & Duracell Alkaline and also some Rayovac
    heavy Duty ones. I would have expected these to work.

    > If you continue to have trouble or have questions, let me know, I am
    always
    > glad to help.
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Kodak

    Rob Guest

  5. #5

    Rob wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <rphuntercharter.net> wrote in message
    > news:4SePa.23998$Sh4.2393fe08.atl2.webusenet.com. ..
    >
    >>Rob wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a Kodak DX3600 digital camera. I have stopped using the
    >
    > rechargable
    >
    >>>battery as it got to the point that it would only take a few pictures
    >
    > and
    >
    >>>then would need recharging. Not much good when on holiday.
    >>>So for the fast few months I have been using NiMh batteies. These have
    >
    > been
    >
    >>>very good and have lasted for a good number of shots even with the
    >
    > camera
    >
    >>>being left on for a bit....
    >>>
    >>>BUT I went to use the camera last week and it said the battiries were
    >
    > dead.
    >
    >>>So i buy some new ones and they worked for a couple shots, turned it off
    >
    > and
    >
    >>>on again a few minutes later to take some more shots and with the camera
    >
    > in
    >
    >>>shoot mode it extended the lens then said "reading card" but then just
    >
    > shut
    >
    >>>down leaving the lense out. Every time I now switch it on it gets to the
    >>>same point and dies. If I have it in browse mode I get to look a couple
    >>>pictures then it flashes the low battery and dies within seconds.
    >>>I have since tried 2 new sets of batteries and exactly the same happens,
    >
    > it
    >
    >>>turns it self off within a few seconds of turning it on.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone have any ideas or is the camera just shafted? I would have hoped
    >
    > it
    >
    >>>would have lasted a bit longer than this.
    >>>
    >>>Rob
    >>>

    >>Rob,
    >> First, the rechargeable battery you got if you bought the dock is a
    >>NIMH battery in a plastic holder, which notifies the dock that you have
    >>a rechargeable battery. If it stopped working then you need to either
    >>buy a new rechargeable pack from Kodak, or buy regular NIMH batteries
    >>with a charger, and properly recharge them. This entails about 3 or 4
    >>recharge cycles before they begin to work properly.
    >>
    >>When you said you bought new batteries, what type (NIMH, alakline,
    >>regular lead/acid) batteries did you buy? The symptom you describe is
    >>about what would happen if you put alkalines in that camera as it is NOT
    >>built for that voltage.
    >>

    > The battery I got with the camera was indeed the NiMH battery in the plastic
    > holder. I am not too bothered about that as they obviously only have a
    > certain life.
    >
    > When I said I have tried new batteries I meant I had tried new Duracell
    > Alkaline, Sony & Rayovac heavy Duty ones. The fact these don't work is the
    > annoying bit.

    RTFM!!!

    There are at LEAST 4 places in the manual where it warns you NOT to use
    alkalines. The voltage is too high, and the current too low. Use
    either a good quality NIMH or lithium (CRV3) cells, ONLY.

    Ron Hunter Guest