Professional Web Applications Themes

Kubuntu Dapper -- Digital Cameras? - Ubuntu

Just a quickie -- has anybody seen any issues with digital camera support in the as-yet-unreleased Dapper? Does anybody know off-hand if this is a known issue at all? I haven't had the time (yet) to go hunting around for it, I'm just curious. Thanks, Mike...

  1. #1

    Default Kubuntu Dapper -- Digital Cameras?

    Just a quickie -- has anybody seen any issues with digital camera support in
    the as-yet-unreleased Dapper? Does anybody know off-hand if this is a
    known issue at all? I haven't had the time (yet) to go hunting around for
    it, I'm just curious.

    Thanks,
    Mike
    Michael B. Trausch Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Kubuntu Dapper -- Digital Cameras?

    "Michael B. Trausch" <michael.trausch.no.spamcomcast.net> writes:
    > Just a quickie -- has anybody seen any issues with digital camera support in
    > the as-yet-unreleased Dapper? Does anybody know off-hand if this is a
    > known issue at all? I haven't had the time (yet) to go hunting around for
    > it, I'm just curious.
    In order to fetch pictures from my brothers Canon Ixus 500 (which
    isn't a regular usb mass storage) I had to install digikam (maybe the
    mentioned plugins are the real heroes):

    Digikam is an easy to use and powerful digital photo management
    application, which makes importing, organizing and manipulating,
    tagging and searching digital photos a "snap". An easy to use
    interface is provided to connect to your digital camera, preview
    the images and download and/or delete them.
    Jes Vestervang Guest

  3. #3

    Jes Vestervang wrote in <87ac9ylrhn.fsfpadden.intranet> on Wed May 3 2006
    17:37:
    > "Michael B. Trausch" <michael.trausch.no.spamcomcast.net> writes:
    >
    >> Just a quickie -- has anybody seen any issues with digital camera support
    >> in
    >> the as-yet-unreleased Dapper? Does anybody know off-hand if this is a
    >> known issue at all? I haven't had the time (yet) to go hunting around
    >> for it, I'm just curious.
    >
    > In order to fetch pictures from my brothers Canon Ixus 500 (which
    > isn't a regular usb mass storage) I had to install digikam (maybe the
    > mentioned plugins are the real heroes):

    > Digikam is an easy to use and powerful digital photo management
    > application, which makes importing, organizing and manipulating,
    > tagging and searching digital photos a "snap". An easy to use
    > interface is provided to connect to your digital camera, preview
    > the images and download and/or delete them.
    > .
    > Digikams builtin image editor makes common photo corrections
    > a simple task. It is extensible via the plugins provided by the
    > digikamimageplugins package.
    > .
    > Digikam can also make use of the KIPI image handling plugins to
    > extend it's capabilities even further for photo manipulations,
    > im- and export, etc. The kipi-plugins package contains many
    > very useful extentions.
    > .
    > Homepage: [url]http://www.digikam.org[/url]

    I had tried that... and it works... sort of. I'd really like for the
    full "plug and work" thing to happen, though, and I know that while I can
    work around it, most end-users aren't going to want to. Since Dapper is
    going to be around for a long time and supported, it's an unpolished edge.
    I'll check the tracker later and see if it's not reported, and if it isn't,
    I'll report it.

    - Mike
    Michael B. Trausch Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 16:57:07 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > Just a quickie -- has anybody seen any issues with digital camera support
    > in the as-yet-unreleased Dapper? Does anybody know off-hand if this is a
    > known issue at all? I haven't had the time (yet) to go hunting around for
    > it, I'm just curious.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike
    All I can say is my Canon Powershot S80 is recognised as a USB PTP class
    camera just fine in Gnome (Ubuntu Dapper beta 2 plus updates)

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    [url]http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/[/url]

    Wayne Guest

  5. #5

    > I had tried that... and it works... sort of. I'd really like for the
    > full "plug and work" thing to happen, though, and I know that while I can
    > work around it, most end-users aren't going to want to. Since Dapper is
    > going to be around for a long time and supported, it's an unpolished
    > edge.
    > I'll check the tracker later and see if it's not reported, and if it
    > isn't,
    > I'll report it.
    >
    > - Mike

    Hi MIke ,
    I had to download and install f-spot to get it to recognize my fuji film
    camera. But it works great with that program.

    Dave
    Kc1di Guest

  6. #6

    Kc1di wrote in <op.s86yyhb0du0a3xelbc-crz2m9noal> on Sun May 7 2006 13:31:

    > Hi MIke ,
    > I had to download and install f-spot to get it to recognize my fuji film
    > camera. But it works great with that program.
    >
    > Dave

    I'll take a look into it. Looks like it pulls in GNOME as a dependency,
    though... :-/

    - Mike

    Michael B. Trausch Guest

  7. #7

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > Kc1di wrote in <op.s86yyhb0du0a3xelbc-crz2m9noal> on Sun May 7 2006 13:31:
    >> Hi MIke ,
    >> I had to download and install f-spot to get it to recognize my fuji film
    >> camera. But it works great with that program.
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>

    > I'll take a look into it. Looks like it pulls in GNOME as a dependency,
    > though... :-/
    >
    > - Mike

    If you want to avoid GNOME dependency, check out digikam, which is
    KDE/Qt-based.

    Lawrence Leonard Guest

  8. #8

    Lawrence Leonard wrote in <a6adnUcyaPv29MLZRVn-qAcomcast.com> on Mon May 8
    2006 11:53:
    > Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    >> Kc1di wrote in <op.s86yyhb0du0a3xelbc-crz2m9noal> on Sun May 7 2006
    >> 13:31:
    >>> Hi MIke ,
    >>> I had to download and install f-spot to get it to recognize my fuji film
    >>> camera. But it works great with that program.
    >>>
    >>> Dave
    >>>

    >> I'll take a look into it. Looks like it pulls in GNOME as a dependency,
    >> though... :-/
    >>
    >> - Mike
    >>

    > If you want to avoid GNOME dependency, check out digikam, which is
    > KDE/Qt-based.

    Re: Kubuntu Dapper -- Digital Cameras?
    From:
    Michael B. Trausch <michael.trausch.no.spamcomcast.net> (Home)
    Date:
    Wed May 3 2006 18:53:49
    Groups:
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu