Professional Web Applications Themes

Kyocera 6035 and Mac OSX - Mac Applications & Software

Does anyone use the Kyocera 6035 Smart phone with your mac. I'm not really sure what I should get to use it with my mac. I thought that I would be able to use the IR port, but my Powerbook doesn't have an IR port. DAMN Since the craddle that that come with my phone is serial I thought I should buy the Palm USB to serial cable. I just want to make sure that I'm going in the right direction. Does anyone know if I can sync wireless? J...

  1. #1

    Default Kyocera 6035 and Mac OSX

    Does anyone use the Kyocera 6035 Smart phone with your mac. I'm not really
    sure what I should get to use it with my mac. I thought that I would be able
    to use the IR port, but my Powerbook doesn't have an IR port. DAMN

    Since the craddle that that come with my phone is serial I thought I should
    buy the Palm USB to serial cable. I just want to make sure that I'm going in
    the right direction. Does anyone know if I can sync wireless?

    J Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Kyocera 6035 and Mac OSX

    [courtesy copy to J]
    [replies to group only please]

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 21:13:58 GMT, as the moon rose into the night's sky,
    J ed back his head and howled:

    Don't you just LOVE that phone? I have it too... bought a year ago.
    Anyhow... here's the link to Kyocera's page on using the phone with a
    Mac. I haven't tried using the phone myself with my Mac, so I can't
    help you much further than this.

    http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/kysmart/kysmart_mac_qa.htm
    Just Guest

  3. #3

    Just Annutha Dewd wrote:

    > Don't you just LOVE that phone? I have it too... bought a year ago.
    > Anyhow... here's the link to Kyocera's page on using the phone with a
    > Mac. I haven't tried using the phone myself with my Mac, so I can't
    > help you much further than this.
    >
    > http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/kysmart/kysmart_mac_qa.htm[/ref]

    About a month back, I sent email to the support folks at kyocera
    to ask about making the 6035 work as a wireless modem. I got
    back some info that was rather confused, and included only MacOS
    9 as supported. Also, it was difficult to tell just what sort
    of adapter you needed to connect the 6035 to a Mac.

    I notice now that their Mac info has radically changed. They
    now say that they have OSX software, they tell you what serial-USB
    cable to get, and it comed with the software. So I just ordered
    one. When it gets here, I'll try it out and write a report on
    how well it works.

    One thing I'm curious about: My wife and I have pretty good
    "roaming" cell-phone service, but it's not obvious how to get
    access to a wireless internet connection when you're at some
    random place. Maybe we'll learn good or bad news about this.

    One thing that does sorta disappoint me about the 6035: If you
    look at how its Internet access works, you find that at the bottom
    level, there's this wireless packet network. On top of that they
    emulate a voice line. And on top of the voice line, they run PPP.
    And on top of that, of course, TCP implements a stream. So they're
    emulating a data stream on top of an emulation of a packet network
    on top of an emulation of an og voice line on top of a packet
    network.

    If they just did IP on the low-level packet network, it would
    probably run at least 1000 times faster.

    But, I suppose from the phone company's perspective, this would
    be a disaster. They'd only be able to charge you for the packets.
    This way, you first use up a minute of connect time making the
    PPP connection, all of which is chargable. And then they charge
    you for full use of the voice channel, even when you're sitting
    there reading and not sending or receiving packets. And if you
    forget to hang up for a few minutes, they charge you for all that
    time. You pay for several minutes of time for something that
    may only involve a dozen or so IP packets and a few milliseconds
    of real data.

    But that's another rant. Someday, maybe soon, someone will come
    out with a real IP over the digital packet network that is the
    cell-phone system, it'll run 1000 times faster and cost 1/10 as
    much, and the phone companies will be forced to go along.

    (This has already happened in Japan, it seems, despite all the
    efforts of Nippon Tel to prevent it. ;-)

    John Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2003, John Chambers wrote:

    Don't get hyper, John! It's not entirely the Evil Phone Company's
    scheming. Just like they're unlikely to replace the Empire State
    building in New York with an modern glass marvel next year, there's more
    to doing it than wishing. They didn't build a modern glass marvel in
    1920, or whenever it was, because they didn't know they wanted one.
    Likewise, when the equipment for cellular phones was designed and
    installed, they didn't know they wanted a packet network (and couldn't
    have had one if they had). Now packet is available in some parts
    (layers) of the network and not others -- so they need to interface it.
    I'm sure if you wanted to pay more for your cellular service, the Evil
    Phone Company would be happy to throw away the installed equipment and
    buy new. The Equipment companies would certainly appreciate it.

    That's not to say the EPC (Evil...) isn't dragging their feet, but I
    suspect it's more out of stupidity than scheming... Or it misses the
    mark on the scheme -- the scheme is how to make sure they continue to
    get a significant chunk of the money you spend on connectivity.

    I mean, really, did you rip out all the old phone lines in your house
    and replace them with fibre yet? It's certainly better.

    joe

    Joe Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bjg12n$n6p$news.rcn.net>,
    John Chambers <com> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    I do just this, and it works without giving any trouble (ImacG4/800.
    MacOS10.2.6, Palm Desktop 4.1, ISync, ICal, Addressbook - but you can
    use only Palm Desktop without the last three)

    Chaim
    Chaim Guest