Professional Web Applications Themes

Large Scale Website Design - Macromedia ColdFusion

Don't listen to Pete Thomas. First off, this guy is on the Macromedia Team, that right there will tell you that his opinion is completely unbiased so why bother. First off, CFC as not even ACTUAL components. They are called "COLDFUSION" components for a reason, since they are UNSCALABLE with other programming languages. They are worthless. If you want a real taste of components try .NET. Secondly, Pete Thomas, wrote this: "Yes frameworks such as Mach II and Fusebox do have their overheads but who cares just bung in another processor and gig of ram." Just bung in another processor ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Large Scale Website Design

    Don't listen to Pete Thomas. First off, this guy is on the Macromedia Team,
    that right there will tell you that his opinion is completely unbiased so why
    bother. First off, CFC as not even ACTUAL components. They are called
    "COLDFUSION" components for a reason, since they are UNSCALABLE with other
    programming languages. They are worthless. If you want a real taste of
    components try .NET.

    Secondly, Pete Thomas, wrote this: "Yes frameworks such as Mach II and Fusebox
    do have their overheads but who cares just bung in another processor and gig of
    ram."

    Just bung in another processor and gig of ram huh? This is your solution to
    scaling coldfusion after it's CPU usage hits 100%? That tells you right there
    that Coldfusion can't handle large apps, you said it yourself. There has been
    an unlimited number of journals and posts on cf eating the CPU usage to a
    maximum level, HELLO, that's the main reason why the Coldfusion community is so
    small.

    Anybody that has a damn common sense, can see coldfusion is not THAT scalable.
    First off, Macromedia uses the cheapest version of FuseTalk forums? What the
    hell does that tell you? Secondly, ever other link I click on this site, I get
    a coldfusion error! On MACROMEDIAS OFFICIAL COLDFUSION WEBSITE I get more
    errors than any other cfm application out there!

    I would agree with worzel, you can see worzel has more experience then Pete
    Thomas, it's nice to be on the Macromedia Team, but it's another story when you
    have knowledge of all the greater languages that can make you more money in
    almost any job.

    Anyways, what I would do is not use any framework. Stick to managing the code
    yourself, your best bet is user-defined functions, don't even bother with
    Coldfusion Components.

    Supra LTD Guest

  2. #2

    Research is key to any good argument!

    Please look at Ben Forta's site that lists sites done in CF.
    [url]http://www.forta.com/cf/using/[/url]

    Notible
    [url]http://www.carad.com/index.cfm[/url]
    Which might get a hit or 2 a day
    [url]http://www.hasbro.com/[/url] not small
    [url]http://www.autoweb.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.zdnet.nl/[/url]

    I guess we haven't truely defined "a small site"

    Please don't let a few bad programmers influence your full perception of any
    language.

    Better yet, are any languages truely "better" than others. This argument is
    time consuming and in the end, a waste of time. Face it, the last 20+ posts
    really resolved nothing.(However, if .NET etc is the better way to go, why are
    so many of you in a Coldfusion forum? Are there not furums intended to help
    ..NET programmers or are they not needed since you guys apparently know
    everything and all of us "beginners" will have to settle with CF, "small sites"
    and "unscalability"?)

    CF is here and here to stay.

    From any point of view, to have an opinion, you must understand what it is you
    have an opinion on!!!

    -TSutphin

    TSutphin Guest

  3. #3

    Originally posted by: Supra LTD
    .... this guy is on the Macromedia Team, that right there will tell you that his opinion is completely unbiased ...

    I think Pete will agree with you ...

    :)
    jce1975 Guest

  4. #4

    Originally posted by: jce1975 Originally posted by: Supra LTD ... this guy is
    on the Macromedia Team, that right there will tell you that his opinion is
    completely unbiased ... I think Pete will agree with you ... :) no comment
    :)

    Pete Thomas Guest

  5. #5

    First off that was a typo, it was meant to say "biased". And secondly, just
    because I am in a cf forum, doesn't mean I use only cf in my daily life. You
    know, you can use more than 1 programming language. And if on your resume, you
    ONLY put cf, well then good luck getting a job aboe 40K.

    Supra LTD Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    sfegette Guest