Professional Web Applications Themes

laserwriter iig with osx - Mac Networking

I have set up a home office with two imacs, belkin F5D5231 4 port router and various printers. I have had trouble getting my IIg to work, however. It is connected to the router with a Asante adapter. The printer shows up when I go to "add" it but it is greyed out and I cannot choose it at all. Any thoughts?...

  1. #1

    Default laserwriter iig with osx

    I have set up a home office with two imacs, belkin F5D5231 4 port
    router and various printers. I have had trouble getting my IIg to
    work, however. It is connected to the router with a Asante adapter.
    The printer shows up when I go to "add" it but it is greyed out and I
    cannot choose it at all.

    Any thoughts?
    frankmint Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: laserwriter iig with osx

    In article <google.com>,
    com (frankmint) wrote:

    Same probllem as with my venerable LWII NTx? Is it a Poscript Level 1
    printer while OS X expects Level 2 or 3. Check the list of recognized
    printers. LW II NT and LW II NTx are missing and I do not recall if
    LW IIg was there as I was not looking for one.

    The cure will be a PostScript 1 driver which looks like it is coming
    (or is already here if your work at it) from either the nice folks
    who are bringing GhostScript and friends under OS X or (wishful thinking)
    by other means.

    Gordon Guest

  3. #3

    We replaced the IINTX board with a IIg which is poscript level 2,
    ethernet, and supported by osx. If i connect the IIg to the mac
    directly, all is well. However, the Belkin (which should support
    appletalk) does not see it at all. I am hoping it is just my
    router/network/ethernet adapter/os x printing ignorance that is
    preventing the IIg from printing....to name a few :)

    frankmint Guest

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    com (frankmint) wrote:
     [/ref]

    The other problem is that some of the LocalTalk bridges are sensitive
    to the order in which things are turned on. They scan for devices only
    when they start and so will never see a device which starts after they
    do. But I see that the LW IIg is EtherNet so the LocalTalk bridge quirk
    is not the bother. Good luck. iMac through an Asante switch to an Asante
    bridge all worked except for the Level 1 hang up. The old LW II's have a
    nice straight paper path for heavy stock.

    Gordon Guest

  5. #5

    In article <168.0.100>,
    att.net (Gordon Sande) wrote:

    Check here:
    <http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/pslevel1/SupportedPrinters.html>
    for the LW II NT and LW II NTx.
    <http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Apple-LaserWriter_IIg>
    for the IIg.

    That is already here with Ghostscript and the pslevel1 drivers from
    <http://linuxprinting.org/macosx/>. And PPDs should be available from
    Apple if needed. You do need CUPS so that means Jaguar at a minimum.

    Ghostscript is a trivial installation. Not sure but you may have to
    config through the CUPS browser interface. It's been a while since I set
    up a PS1 printer in X but AFAIK it has been working OK. A bit crude, but
    effective - like Unix.

    I believe -any- PS printer can be made to work with Unix but it may not
    be as fancy or friendly as Apple users have come to expect. You can even
    get an Imagewriter to work but it ain't real pretty.
    willie Guest

  6. #6

    In article <google.com>,
    com (frankmint) wrote:

    You are not 'routing' Appletalk out to the other side of the router so
    that's a moot point. The built-in switch will pass ethernet frames
    around your LAN while not knowing or caring what's inside of them. The
    Belkin is not the problem.

    Someone else mentioned the power-up sequence. That's a good tip.
    LocalTalk bridges are picky about that but I don't know if your Asante
    gizmo is a LocalTalk bridge or an AAUI adapter.

    If the LED on the Belkin is lit, that's pretty strong evidence that it
    sees -something- on the other end of the cable.
    willie Guest