Professional Web Applications Themes

Lasso tool won't connect! - Macromedia Fireworks

I'm using Fireworks MX '04 Education Version. The lasso tool (not polygon lasso tool) won't connect. When I try to select/trace an object the two ends of the blue dotted line won't connect. So my blue line just disappears! It's driving me crazy! I can't do anything until I can get that lasso tool to work. Hopefully everyone understands what I mean. I would really appreciate a speedy reply; I'm on a dead line. Thank you! Rene...

  1. #1

    Default Lasso tool won't connect!

    I'm using Fireworks MX '04 Education Version.

    The lasso tool (not polygon lasso tool) won't connect. When I try to select/trace an object the two ends of the blue dotted line won't connect. So my blue line just disappears! It's driving me crazy! I can't do anything until I can get that lasso tool to work.

    Hopefully everyone understands what I mean. I would really appreciate a speedy reply; I'm on a dead line.

    Thank you!
    Rene

    renegade013 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lasso tool won't connect!

    Make sure it is a bitmap you are working on. The selection tools do not
    work on vector objects.

    Move the lasso cursor over the beginning point until you see a little
    square next to it. That's where you click on the image to close the
    lasso path.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  3. #3

    So, I read help.. tell me if this is correct. To convert a vector to a bitmap go to Modify > Flatten layers.

    That did nothing. Well it sorta did, the lasso tool connects and sometimes it doesn't. And when it does connect, it selects a bunch of other stuff, that I didn't even trace.

    Please help Linda!

    renegade013 Guest

  4. #4

    Throw the bitmap you're lassoing on to it's own layer (even if it's only
    temporary) then start lassoing in a place where you *know* you'll be
    able to connect the ends.

    On the flipside, if you're attempting to blur a large background area
    then lasso about 1/2 inch (by the eyeball) around the subjects using a
    large amount of feather on the image (50 or so), ctrl+shift+I to select
    inverse then throw a gaussian blur on it.

    Don't know if that second paragraph will help you but if it does, then
    cool but if not, that" a cool little tip in itself. :)

    BR
    www.aedngraphix.com

    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    I see a square, next to my lasso tool, all the time before I end my tracing/selecting. My line (selection)just doesn't stay there after I let go of the mouse button.

    Well, sometimes it does... listen to this.

    It seems to me that when I'm tracing something detailed, it doesn't connect. But when I just draw a circle or something really quick it connects.

    Help!!!!!

    renegade013 Guest

  6. #6

    Renegade,

    Maybe the pen tool is more what you're after for tracing. You basically
    'stitch' around the object with a series of 'points'. If you make a
    mistake you can go back to the last good point, not start over.

    Here are a couple tutorials about the pen tool.....

    Joyce Evans...
    http://www.joycejevans.com/tutorials/Fireworks/fwtutorials.htm

    Solar Dream Studio...
    http://www.solardreamstudios.com/tutorials/fw/mx_pen/

    In the long run you will get better results and the resulting path will
    be a vector path also.

    SKB

    SKB Guest

  7. #7

    No, I don't think the pen is what I want.

    I want to use the lasso tool to trace an object, then deleted everything else around it. But I'm tellin ya! When I trace something, my line just disappears, after I try to connect it and let go of the mouse button. It's driving me insane!

    renegade013 Guest

  8. #8

    Try using the pen tool and trace around the object. Complete the path
    and then cut it from the canvas.

    Then select your image and go to Edit>paste as mask.

    Now you will have a fully editable vector mask.

    BR
    www.aedngraphix.com

    Bill Guest

  10. #10

    renegade013;
    Most often you will be better served creating a vector mask with the pen
    tool (as others have suggested), but I suspect you may have a high "feather"
    setting that is causing the lasso to appear to act strangely when you work
    with small details. -Tom Unger

    Tom Guest