Professional Web Applications Themes

Last line in Paragraph has more Leading - Adobe Indesign Windows

This is something that I notice. Occasionally, the last line of a paragraph appears to have more space between it and the second to last line in a paragraph. This doesn't happen very often, only occasionally. I check the leading and it all is set to be the same, however that last line is spaced her away. The only way I can get it to appear as expected is to add an extra paragraph return after the last line. Has anybody else seen this? Is there some setting that I am missing somewhere to get rid of these non-conforming last ...

  1. #1

    Default Last line in Paragraph has more Leading

    This is something that I notice. Occasionally, the last line of a paragraph appears to have more space between it and the second to last line in a paragraph.

    This doesn't happen very often, only occasionally. I check the leading and it all is set to be the same, however that last line is spaced her away.

    The only way I can get it to appear as expected is to add an extra paragraph return after the last line.

    Has anybody else seen this? Is there some setting that I am missing somewhere to get rid of these non-conforming last lines?

    Thanks,

    Kirk
    Kirk_Dickinson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Last line in Paragraph has more Leading

    Most probably the paragraph end has a larger leading. Choose the whole paragraph by clicking four times and see if the leading is consistent.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I have experienced this before as well, but it's usually from a converted Pagemaker file. Usual after ing around with it for a bit, I am able to fix it.
    Scott_Koblich@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    ing around with it for a bit

    I don't like ing around with text. Isn't the problem the one I posted?

  5. #5

    Well, I have quite a few converted files. Also, I have cut and pasted from some pagemaker files.

    Suspect paragraphs are most likely all of Pagemaker origin.

    The most recent time that I came across one of the last line long leading problems, I am positive that I checked the entire paragraph and it was all the same. If there are different leadings in a selection, the leading will normally show blank. It did not.

    I got rid of it by cutting the text, deleting the frame pasting into notepad, then cutting and pasting back into ID and resetting all the formatting. Other times I just add a paragraph return after the last line. The bad thing about that is that it shows up as overset type.

  6. #6

    "Other times I just add a paragraph return after the last line. The bad
    thing about that is that it shows up as overset type."

    If you are using this workaround, from what I remember, go down to that
    extra paragraph return and hit backspace. Your leading will be fixed and
    you'll have no overset.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Ken,

    go down to that extra paragraph return and hit backspace. Your leading
    will be fixed and you'll have no overset.

    Actually, I have tried that and in some cases, removing the paragraph return makes the last line jump back down to the incorrect leading.

    I don't see these as often as I used to. I thought that maybe it was that CS2 was doing a better job. It never dawned on me that converted Pagemaker files could be causing it. I am probably seeing less and less of them because I have increasingly more files that have been created fresh in ID.

  8. #8

    A while back, I heard an explanation that the paragraph formatting was
    "held" in the paragraph mark at the end of the paragraph. If there is no
    mark after the last one, things get y. I don't know about that in ID,
    but If you have a paragraph mark there--a hard return, but I always view
    hidden characters so that's the way I think of them--selecting it and
    applying the style (or manual formatting) will eliminate the extra space.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest