Professional Web Applications Themes

layer folders keep opening - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

10.03 and CS I've asked this before but ask it again hoping there wil be a solution I've got files with many dozens of nested folders. Is there any way to prevent them opening all the time especially when I close a "sister" folder. Is there some way to stop this or is there a shortcut or script to close/open folders enmass? Even something that will close them all to the root level would be nice. Lastly, outside of these crashes (we all hear about), you gotta admit that the program works pretty well...

  1. #1

    Default layer folders keep opening

    Joe_leMonnier@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: layer folders keep opening

    Well, Illustrator doesnt' have layer sets persay. But it does have detailed views which can seem like layer sets. If you click the flyout menu in the layers palette and choose Palette Options, you can click the "Show Layers Only" option to prevent seeing any of the individual object items.

    The reason the layers open up is because you select something. Illustrator shows you where in the layer stack that item is located.
    Scott_Weichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    But even if you close all layers and then save the file, when you reopen, some layers (in some doents) open "on their own."
    Doug_Katz@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Yes, I find that they open "on their own" when I am closing "sister" layers (groups at the same sub-level). I sometimes have to go around closing 4 or 5 different groups (or layers) to just close one. Most of the time I have nothing selected.
    Joe_leMonnier@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Hmm.. maybe it's a 10.0.3 issue. I don't recall seeing it in CS. That doesn't mean it's not there.. just that I don't recall ever seeing what you describe.
    Scott_Weichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Maybe its my configuration but I've got it in CS and 10.0.3 all the time. perhaps its the result of a (recent) plugin or something although I recall this happening for quite some time.

    This only happens on complex files which leads me to think that it could be relqated to the redrawing.

    Here's an example:

    An .ai file with 5 layers. The second layer contains 6 sublayers , each of which contain complex illustrations containing a couple of dozen layers and sublayers. All told there are about 150 layers within the whole thing. This is known , not from guess or counting but form when I create a new layer, it will come up labeled at around 150.

    Now. if I click on the Illustration, the layers will open , repective to what I have selected. No problem and a good feature. But, when I have deselected everything (by clicking on the artboard) and then close the highest branch of the opened layers, the next bough (sister branch) in the same level will open on its own. Close this one and another will open, sometimes untill I've done them all. Closing the parent or the daughters does not reallly help much. Like I said , this only happens when I've got over 100 layers and is not in any way interferring with Illustrator's performance, except that I (even with a cinema and aux 21 in. monitor) do not have the vertical space to display the layers this way.

    Sorry for taking so long to explain it but maybe this is famililar to someone who has a solution

    thanks

    Joe
    Joe_leMonnier@adobeforums.com Guest