Professional Web Applications Themes

Layer masks - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Am I correct in thinking that layer masks are terribly badly implemented in Elements 2? I'm not talking about the selection masks which you can turn on with the selection brush. Elements seems to recognise, and honour, layer masks created in other applications but other than horrendous bodges there doesn't seem any simple way of creating one directly in Elements from, say, a selected area. There's not any real mention of them in the manual. Well it mentions how to use them if they exist but not how to create them. Am I wasting my time looking for a simple, ...

  1. #1

    Default Layer masks

    Am I correct in thinking that layer masks are terribly badly
    implemented in Elements 2? I'm not talking about the selection masks
    which you can turn on with the selection brush.

    Elements seems to recognise, and honour, layer masks created in other
    applications but other than horrendous bodges there doesn't seem any
    simple way of creating one directly in Elements from, say, a selected
    area. There's not any real mention of them in the manual. Well it
    mentions how to use them if they exist but not how to create them.

    Am I wasting my time looking for a simple, straightforward way of
    creating one? At present if I absolutely must have a layer mask I
    squirt the file across to Photodesk on my Risc OS machine, apply the
    mask and then squirt it back to the Mac.
    Peter Gaunt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Layer masks

    In article <1dea26d3.0WebX.la2eafNXanI>, Chris Rankin
    <chrisrnknaol.com> wrote:
    > <http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/elements/elemask.htm>
    OK, thanks. It works fine but it's still not a proper layer mask is it?
    I must investigate it further though as it may effectively do the same
    thing but in a different way. On first playing around with it it
    appears to me that it isn't quite as flexible but I guess it may turn
    out to be in the end.
    Peter Gaunt Guest

  3. #3

    Peter, there are free add-ons out there that will provide you with 'real'
    layer mask capability in Elements. Here's one of the sites where you'll
    fined them:

    [url]http://member.melbpc.org.au/~pshipley/Download.htm[/url]

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  4. #4

    Jodi, it takes me so long to get through all the messages when I get home
    from work (88 today) that I should have known the answer would already be
    there before I could find the hyperlink, write the note, etc.

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  5. #5

    Mr. Shipley must love us ;)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  6. #6

    Peter, for the unitiated: what in the world is a 'bodge'??

    :-)

    Chuck

    p.s. The methods that are included in Jay Arraich's tutorials (use of the
    layer mask in a fill or adjustment layer) take a little getting used to but
    work just fine.

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  7. #7

    In article <768252EDD5228DB390D9ACCF8F2DE24Fin.WebX.la2eafNX anI>,
    Chuck Snyder <csnyderhouston.rr.com> wrote:
    > Peter, for the unitiated: what in the world is a 'bodge'??
    See below :-)
    > p.s. The methods that are included in Jay Arraich's tutorials (use of the
    > layer mask in a fill or adjustment layer) take a little getting used to but
    > work just fine.
    That's a bodge. It's basically, I guess, another way of saying 'work
    around' but has different connotations often slightly derogatory. My
    dictionary (I just looked) says it's a variation of 'botch'. It's a
    word in fairly common use in the UK.

    I think I'll play around some more with Jay's idea which, although it
    works, is still a bodge to get around Adobe's strange ommission.
    Peter Gaunt Guest