Professional Web Applications Themes

Layer Palette - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I had Photoshop 6.0 which is for professional users, and couldn't ever figure out how to do anything in it. Someone told me that Photoshop Elements has the best features of the professional version but is "easy" to use. Well, I have just installed it, and frankly, I can't see what the difference is - its just as hard to use. Its seems everything uses a the layer palette, but I can't find that anywhere. I've looked at all the tutorials, but none of them explain where to find this layer palette - they show pictures of it, which look ...

  1. #1

    Default Layer Palette

    I had Photoshop 6.0 which is for professional users, and couldn't ever figure out how to do anything in it. Someone told me that Photoshop Elements has the best features of the professional version but is "easy" to use. Well, I have just installed it, and frankly, I can't see what the difference is - its just as hard to use. Its seems everything uses a the layer palette, but I can't find that anywhere. I've looked at all the tutorials, but none of them explain where to find this layer palette - they show pictures of it, which look like nothing on my screen. I've looked at all the menu choices and a description of every button on my screen, but none brings up this magical layer palette. Can anyone tell me where to find this thing?
    Heather X. Smith Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Layer Palette

    Heather -

    Be kind to yourself and pick up a "How to" book. I now have two of them - both are helpful. The SAMS "Learn Photoshop Elements in 24 Hours" is a better book overall but the Que "How to Use Photoshop elements 2" has some neat things in it too.
    JoAnn Amerson Guest

  3. #3

    Pete,
    Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, I've already done all of this and it doesn't help with my initial question - where is the layers palette? I've done the tutorial, but all it does is talk about what you can do with the layers palette, and since I can't find the layers palette, I can't do any of the things it suggests. I have a photo open and can't do anything with it, because I can't find the layers palette. By the way, I do understand the concept of "layers". Can you please just tell me where to find the layers palette?
    Heather X. Smith Guest

  4. #4

    Heather, layers pallette can be found >toolbar>window>click'layers'. The palette will then pop up on your screen. Dock it in the upper right corner of your screen. You can open and close it by double clicking on the blue bar.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  5. #5

    Also, from the menu bar, under "Window", make sure that "Tools", "Shortcuts" and "Options" all have tick marks beside them.

    The Palette Well is included in "Options"

    This will bring all the "ready use" tools to hand, where you can see 'em and play with 'em.

    Kyle
    Kyle White Guest

  6. #6

    Heather,

    Sorry. Thought maybe you would have found it by the time I wrote that.

    The layers palette... Look at the top right side of your screen. You will
    see file folder tabs with different names on them; filter effects,,
    effects, layer styles, LAYERS. You may have to move the cursor back and
    forth slowly over the tabs to expose the Layers tab. When you find it,
    click on the tab and hol, then drag it down on to your workspace below. Now
    it will not be hidden from view.

    Hope this helps. post again if you need more.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  7. #7

    Heather,

    Hang in there kid. It wasn't that long ago that many of us were at the same stage you are now. There is a slight learning cruve to using this program succusfully. But the learning is both fun and rewarding. I have progressed a bit, I think since I first came to this forum. There is wealth of information and a common bond of friendliness that can be found here.

    Terry
    Terry Boyles Guest

  8. #8

    Please see the thread below from Al Millstein. The pallette arrangement is a
    pain, but can be "fixed".

    "Heather X. Smith" <auskan2002> wrote in message
    > I had Photoshop 6.0 which is for professional users, and couldn't ever
    figure out how to do anything in it. Someone told me that Photoshop Elements
    has the best features of the professional version but is "easy" to use.
    Well, I have just installed it, and frankly, I can't see what the difference
    is - its just as hard to use. Its seems everything uses a the layer palette,
    but I can't find that anywhere. I've looked at all the tutorials, but none
    of them explain where to find this layer palette - they show pictures of it,
    which look like nothing on my screen. I've looked at all the menu choices
    and a description of every button on my screen, but none brings up this
    magical layer palette. Can anyone tell me where to find this thing?

    Michael Moody Guest

  9. #9

    Heather, Just double click on the LAYERS tab on the right side. Under the adjustments panel is another panel/palette. There are 3 file tabs: channels, paths, and layers. Double click on the LAYERS. It will pop right up. I just tried and it works just fine.
    Cheryl B Guest