Professional Web Applications Themes

layer positioning with browser sizes - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I have created my website with nested layers designed at a 800 x 600 screen resolution. Everything fits perfectly on the screen as long as I stay at that screen resolution. When I change my screen resolution to 1024 x 728 everything gets shifted to the left and pretty much seems to be aligned with the top left corner. I want to be able to keep everything centered on the screen no matter what the browser size is. I have attempted to put everything in a table and center it but I cant have free floating items such as rollover ...

  1. #1

    Default layer positioning with browser sizes

    I have created my website with nested layers designed at a 800 x 600 screen resolution. Everything fits perfectly on the screen as long as I stay at that screen resolution. When
    I change my screen resolution to 1024 x 728 everything gets shifted to the left and pretty much seems to be aligned with the top left corner. I want to be able to keep everything centered on the screen no matter what the browser size is.

    I have attempted to put everything in a table and center it but I cant have free floating items such as rollover buttons or animations.

    Please help!!!!

    Referring URLs
    [url]www.geocities.com/artsolutions4u[/url]

    LukeBeck webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: layer positioning with browser sizes

    Luke:
    > I have attempted to put everything in a table
    Please don't put layers into tables or you'll find large differences in
    cross-browser/platform rendering.
    > I cant have free floating items such as rollover buttons or animations.
    Free floating? You mean for positioning? Sure you can - use tables to
    position them on the page. Check the Tables Tutorials at the DW FAQ link in
    my sig for more information.
    > I have created my website with nested layers
    This is also a good way to introduce browser/platform rendering differences
    in your page unless the inner layers are all fully qualified CSS layers.
    Are they?
    > everything gets shifted to the left
    Actually, it's your page content shifting to the right. The layers stay
    right where you put them, but since a pixel is now smaller at higher
    resolution it looks like it's more to the left.

    If you want to use positioned <div> tags (i.e., "layers") and you want them
    to be centered along with the rest of your content, then get either the
    LayoutDesigner2 extension or the SnapLayer extension from the wizards at
    PVII - it's just what you are looking for -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "LukeBeck" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I have created my website with nested layers designed at a 800 x 600
    screen resolution. Everything fits perfectly on the screen as long as I
    stay at that screen resolution. When
    > I change my screen resolution to 1024 x 728 everything gets shifted to the
    left and pretty much seems to be aligned with the top left corner. I want
    to be able to keep everything centered on the screen no matter what the
    browser size is.

    > I have attempted to put everything in a table and center it but I cant
    have free floating items such as rollover buttons or animations.

    > Please help!!!!
    >

    > Referring URLs
    > [url]www.geocities.com/artsolutions4u[/url]

    Murray *TMM* Guest