Professional Web Applications Themes

layer width - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi Chaps, am fairly new to this but have a v annoying prob: have a layer thats 100% width along the bottom of my page and when its on 800x600 its fine and goes all the way to the scroll bars on the right as theres content further down the page. when i go to a higher resolution where all content fits the page the layer only goes up to where the scroll bar would have been but isnt actually there as theres no more content at the bottem of the page. therefore i'm left with a cm gap on ...

  1. #1

    Default layer width

    Hi Chaps,

    am fairly new to this but have a v annoying prob:

    have a layer thats 100% width along the bottom of my page and when its on 800x600 its fine and goes all the way to the scroll bars on the right as theres content further down the page. when i go to a higher resolution where all content fits the page the layer only goes up to where the scroll bar would have been but isnt actually there as theres no more content at the bottem of the page. therefore i'm left with a cm gap on the right hand side. how do i get it to go along the whole width of the page ie 100%?

    is it right to use layers rather than tables these days?

    thanks

    robortsmith webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: layer width

    do you have a url?
    divs always expand to the available width unless you specify otherwise.
    maybe your div is inside another element?

    joe

    "robortsmith" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Chaps,
    >
    > am fairly new to this but have a v annoying prob:
    >
    > have a layer thats 100% width along the bottom of my page and when its on
    800x600 its fine and goes all the way to the scroll bars on the right as
    theres content further down the page. when i go to a higher resolution
    where all content fits the page the layer only goes up to where the scroll
    bar would have been but isnt actually there as theres no more content at the
    bottem of the page. therefore i'm left with a cm gap on the right hand
    side. how do i get it to go along the whole width of the page ie 100%?

    > is it right to use layers rather than tables these days?
    >
    > thanks

    Joe {RoastHorse} Guest

  3. #3

    ok. i don't see the problem you are describing - the only problem i see is
    that you are using frames.

    > [url]www.abingtonwebdesign.com[/url]
    >
    > ( first dweaver website so dont be too harsh! )
    >
    > thanks

    Joe {RoastHorse} Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:45:05 +0100, "Joe {RoastHorse}"
    <joeroast-horse.com> wrote:
    >ok. i don't see the problem you are describing - the only problem i see is
    >that you are using frames.
    And Flash. I see almost nothing there. ;-)

    Gary
    Gary White Guest

  5. #5

    when i have it on 1024x768 resolution full screen it happens - ie any resolution which makes the page fit the screen lengthways so the scroll bars disappear on the right

    are frames not good then? if i want to keep the title bar and buttons at the top as they are in the different pages what other way is there of doing it?

  6. #6

    i see what you mean...
    it's because you have specified the width as 100%, which means 100% of the
    window width (eg. if the window is 600px wide the blue bar will be 600px
    wide). remove the width property.

    frames are bad unless you have a very good reason for using them. your
    design does not require frames - just put your nav at the top of every page.

    > when i have it on 1024x768 resolution full screen it happens - ie any
    resolution which makes the page fit the screen lengthways so the scroll bars
    disappear on the right

    > are frames not good then? if i want to keep the title bar and buttons at
    the top as they are in the different pages what other way is there of doing
    it?

    > thanks

    Joe {RoastHorse} Guest

  7. #7

    Or consider using Dreamweaver's Library Items, or Templates, or even
    Server-Side Includes as a way to solve the obvious maintenance issues that
    would arise with having to touch each page to make changes in your
    navigation.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Joe {RoastHorse}" <joeroast-horse.com> wrote in message
    > i see what you mean...
    > it's because you have specified the width as 100%, which means 100% of the
    > window width (eg. if the window is 600px wide the blue bar will be 600px
    > wide). remove the width property.
    >
    > frames are bad unless you have a very good reason for using them. your
    > design does not require frames - just put your nav at the top of every
    page.

    > joe
    >

    > "robortsmith" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > > when i have it on 1024x768 resolution full screen it happens - ie any
    > resolution which makes the page fit the screen lengthways so the scroll
    bars
    > disappear on the right
    > >
    > > are frames not good then? if i want to keep the title bar and buttons
    at
    > the top as they are in the different pages what other way is there of
    doing
    > it?
    > >
    > > thanks

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  8. #8

    if i take away the width componet then it does not go across the screen at all? I need it to cover 100% of the width including where the scroll bars once were.

    frame advice duely noted!

  9. #9

    i've had a closer look at your code...

    it's because you are also using absolutely positioned divs - don't use them
    if you want a fluid layout. use margins etc.
    i think you need to do a bit of homework on css positioning before going any
    further. the DW layer tool is a bad way of implementing css positioning
    except for real rough and ready stuff.

    there are limitations (and opportunities) with css layout just like with
    table layouts - just different ones. learn these and design your pages
    around them.

    > if i take away the width componet then it does not go across the screen at
    all? I need it to cover 100% of the width including where the scroll bars
    once were.

    > frame advice duely noted!
    >
    > thanks

    Joe {RoastHorse} Guest