Professional Web Applications Themes

layers and text - Macromedia Dreamweaver

is it correct that layers should not be used for text and that text if in a layer should be in a table cell any thoughts on this matter !...

  1. #1

    Default layers and text

    is it correct that layers should not be used for text and that text if in a layer should be in a
    table cell any thoughts on this matter !

    virtual_m Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: layers and text

    virtual_m wrote:
    > is it correct that layers should not be used for text and that text if
    > in a layer should be in a
    > table cell any thoughts on this matter !
    You can use layers (or rather: absolutely positioned div's) for text.
    The only things you need to think about is that:

    1) Don't give the layer a height. It need to be able to expand e.g. if
    the user increases font size

    2) Stacking layers might cause them to overlap if the text is increased.
    Not being a layer man myself (preferring tables), I believe you need to
    either nest them or position them in relation to each other in some
    other way, e.g. using the extensions "Layout Designer 2" and/or "Snap
    Layer" from [url]www.projectseven.com[/url].

    Whether you want a table in the layer for the text is up to your own
    design/function requirements.

    HTH

    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    [url]http://www.vendel.info[/url]

    Dan Vendel *GOF* Guest

  3. #3

    Dan

    I thought that if you declared the body and html tags height at 100% in
    the css file you could then set a height for div(s), or am I wrong here?

    The problem of "overflowing" text can be overcome by the use of the
    overflow attribute - although this is not supported by Opera as far as I
    am aware.

    [url]http://www.two33.co.uk/centered_div.html[/url]

    Alex

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com> wrote
    in message news:bg03dg$1i5$4forums.macromedia.com...
    > virtual_m wrote:
    >
    > > is it correct that layers should not be used for text and that text
    if
    > > in a layer should be in a
    > > table cell any thoughts on this matter !
    >
    > You can use layers (or rather: absolutely positioned div's) for text.
    > The only things you need to think about is that:
    >
    > 1) Don't give the layer a height. It need to be able to expand e.g. if
    > the user increases font size
    >
    > 2) Stacking layers might cause them to overlap if the text is
    increased.
    > Not being a layer man myself (preferring tables), I believe you need
    > either nest them or position them in relation to each other in some
    > other way, e.g. using the extensions "Layout Designer 2" and/or "Snap
    > Layer" from [url]www.projectseven.com[/url].
    >
    > Whether you want a table in the layer for the text is up to your own
    > design/function requirements.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    > [url]http://www.vendel.info[/url]
    > Contact me directly by clicking here:
    > [url]http://contact.vendel.info[/url]
    > Formmail tutorial:
    > [url]http://www.vendel.info/tut/formmail.html[/url]
    > Nested table demonstration:
    > [url]http://www.vendel.info/tabletut/[/url]

    Alex Billerey Guest

  4. #4

    Alex Billerey wrote:
    > Dan
    >
    > I thought that if you declared the body and html tags height at 100% in
    > the css file you could then set a height for div(s), or am I wrong here?
    >
    > The problem of "overflowing" text can be overcome by the use of the
    > overflow attribute - although this is not supported by Opera as far as I
    > am aware.
    >
    > [url]http://www.two33.co.uk/centered_div.html[/url]
    Well, I don't know more than the absolute basics about "layers", and I
    didn't even mention controlling them with CSS. I'm a table man.
    But to set attribute of body and html as 100% seems odd, even to me.
    AFAIK, neither html nor body can be anything else but 100% of itself.
    OTH, who am I to say..... :-/

  5. #5

    Dan

    I don't claim to be any sort of css guru either - if I was, I guess I
    would be sitting in some warm part of the world feeling pleased with
    myself - I hear that gurus migrate there during the summer rather than
    grey, not very warm London <grin>

    You are spot on with height attributes in tables though - very bad kama.

    As ever take care

    Alex
    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com> wrote
    in message news:bg094n$1i5$5forums.macromedia.com...

  6. #6

    tables etc. etc. they can be styled with css anyway you like. they can
    follow the doent flow, you can set the dimensions, margins etc. even
    position them in the doent.

    text in a layer doesn't have to be in a table - unless you want it in a
    table.

    joe

    "virtual_m" <mxcruehotmail.com> wrote in message
    is it correct that layers should not be used for text and that text if in a
    layer should be in a
    table cell any thoughts on this matter !

    Joe {RoastHorse} Guest