Professional Web Applications Themes

layers positioned within a table - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Steve: Don't put layers in tables. There is never a need to do this since layers are positioned absolutely on the page anyhow. > considering the code must stay placed with the table Why is that? -- Murray --- ICQ 71997575 Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!) ================== [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS ================== [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage! [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes ================== "steve" <stevebulletclip.com> wrote in message news:bemmi5$28d$1forums.macromedia.com... > Hello ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: layers positioned within a table

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "steve" <stevebulletclip.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have a problem with some layers (div's) . Their code is within a table
    > cell and their positioning is set to absolute.
    >
    > They are located regardless of being in a table cell and located
    absolutely
    > in respect of the doent on PC, however on macintosh they are located in
    > respct to the table cell position.
    >
    > The PC version is locating them correctly, so does anyone know how to work
    > around this, considering the code must stay placed with the table.
    >
    > thanks
    > Steve
    >
    > --
    >
    > *****************************
    >
    > BULLET
    > Studio 5
    > Culford House
    > 01-07 Orsman Road
    > London N1 5RA
    > +44(0)20 76135324
    > [url]www.bulletclip.com[/url]
    >
    > *****************************

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    > I have a problem with some layers (div's) . Their code is within a table
    > cell and their positioning is set to absolute.
    Absolute postitioning is based on the browser view port...so it could care
    less about the table.
    > They are located regardless of being in a table cell and located
    absolutely
    > in respect of the doent on PC, however on macintosh they are located in
    > respct to the table cell position.
    Which browser are you using on the Mac? IE/Mac, as good as it is, does have
    problems with absolute positioning:

    [url]http://www.l-c-n.com/IE5tests/index.shtml[/url]
    > The PC version is locating them correctly, so does anyone know how to work
    > around this, considering the code must stay placed with the table.
    If the element is absolutely positioned, then why does it have to be inside
    the table? They don't relate to each other.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  4. #4

    steve:

    Then if that's the case, you should be prepared for problems. Layers in
    tables is bad code and will never render reliably for you.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > the code is only part of a localised treatment to a worldwide site. We are
    > not authorised to place any code outside of the table area.!!!

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > Steve:
    >
    > Don't put layers in tables. There is never a need to do this since layers
    > are positioned absolutely on the page anyhow.
    >
    > > considering the code must stay placed with the table
    >
    > Why is that?
    >
    > --
    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > ==================
    > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO GET
    > ANSWERS
    > ==================
    > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > ==================
    >
    > "steve" <stevebulletclip.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I have a problem with some layers (div's) . Their code is within a table
    > > cell and their positioning is set to absolute.
    > >
    > > They are located regardless of being in a table cell and located
    > absolutely
    > > in respect of the doent on PC, however on macintosh they are located
    in
    > > respct to the table cell position.
    > >
    > > The PC version is locating them correctly, so does anyone know how to
    work
    > > around this, considering the code must stay placed with the table.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > Steve
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > *****************************
    > >
    > > BULLET
    > > Studio 5
    > > Culford House
    > > 01-07 Orsman Road
    > > London N1 5RA
    > > +44(0)20 76135324
    > > [url]www.bulletclip.com[/url]
    > >
    > > *****************************

    steve Guest

  6. #6

    > Then if that's the case, you should be prepared for problems. Layers in
    > tables is bad code and will never render reliably for you.
    Does it have to be absolutely positioned? Can you use relative positining
    within the TD?

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  7. #7

    Darrel:

    I suppose you could, but I am not sure how that would affect things....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    "darrel" <darrel.austincourts.state.mn.us> wrote in message

    > > Then if that's the case, you should be prepared for problems. Layers in
    > > tables is bad code and will never render reliably for you.
    >
    > Does it have to be absolutely positioned? Can you use relative positining
    > within the TD?
    >
    > -Darrel

    Murray *TMM* Guest