Professional Web Applications Themes

Layout: Dreamweaver or Fireworks? Please Help! - Macromedia Fireworks

Which program do you use in order to "design" a site? I'm a goof, i know, but really need some help! I like the layout of this site [url]http://www.argosyu.edu[/url] and would like to create a site with a similar layout for my Church. But, how do you "line it out" in various blocks this way? Are they graphics in Fireworks, Frames in Dreamweaver? A combination of the two? I'm lost! One other question: How do you make the "search" box and incorporate the graphic of the box with the underlying code that makes the search work? Forgive me if they're ...

  1. #1

    Default Layout: Dreamweaver or Fireworks? Please Help!

    Which program do you use in order to "design" a site? I'm a goof, i know, but really need some help! I like the layout of this site [url]http://www.argosyu.edu[/url] and would like to create a site with a similar layout for my Church. But, how do you "line it out" in various blocks this way? Are they graphics in Fireworks, Frames in Dreamweaver? A combination of the two? I'm lost!

    One other question: How do you make the "search" box and incorporate the graphic of the box with the underlying code that makes the search work?

    Forgive me if they're stupid questions... I've tried to figure these things out on my own.. but am having a hard time.

    Thanks!

    James

    Referring URLs
    [url]http://www.argosyu.edu[/url]

    jaimz webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Layout: Dreamweaver or Fireworks? Please Help!

    there is no set order to design work > everyone does it differently james. a
    lot of people like to design the whole interface in Fireworks first before
    importing into Dreamweaver. yes - i'd say it's a good idea to spend some
    time in Fireworks first. sometimes an idea in your head doesn't translate
    onto canvas as well as you would like so a little planning saves time in the
    long run.

    also - if you really like that site and search box then go to it and click
    file > save as then open it up with Dreamweaver and you can find out exactly
    how they did it.

    --
    Martin Threlfall
    [url]http://www.fidgetbrain.com[/url]

    "jaimz" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Which program do you use in order to "design" a site? I'm a goof, i know,
    but really need some help! I like the layout of this site
    [url]http://www.argosyu.edu[/url] and would like to create a site with a similar
    layout for my Church. But, how do you "line it out" in various blocks this
    way? Are they graphics in Fireworks, Frames in Dreamweaver? A combination
    of the two? I'm lost!

    > One other question: How do you make the "search" box and incorporate the
    graphic of the box with the underlying code that makes the search work?

    > Forgive me if they're stupid questions... I've tried to figure these
    things out on my own.. but am having a hard time.

    > Thanks!
    >
    > James
    >

    > Referring URLs
    > [url]http://www.argosyu.edu[/url]

    Wee Bubba Guest

  3. #3

    thank you for your advice... one question more of fireworks.. how do you determine the size of the canvas? is it having to think in terms of screen resolutions (which confuses me even more)?

    is there a good, easy to understand, fireworks book out there that could be recommended?

    jaimz webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    On 04 Jul 2003 in macromedia.fireworks, Wee Bubba wrote:
    > you have 2 choices:
    >
    > 1. make a site with a static width and length. around 760 pixels
    > should be your maximum if you want to accommodate people with 800 x
    > 600 resolutions. 2. make a site whose width stretches to fill any
    > resolution
    I've been leaning in the direction of fixed-width lately. If I design a
    site which will fit 760 pixels wide without horizontal scrollbars, but
    make it flexible, it looks *soooooo stretchhhhhhhhhhhed oooooooutttttt*,
    even on a 1024x768 screen.

    --
    Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
    [url]http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe[/url]

  5. #5

    thank you all for your input... how exactly do you design a site that will stretch? forgive me ignorance.

    james

    jaimz webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    Hit the DW FAQ link in my sig and look at the flexible tables tutorial
    there. That's one way to do it.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    > thank you all for your input... how exactly do you design a site that
    will stretch? forgive me ignorance.

    > james

    Murray *TMM* Guest