Professional Web Applications Themes

Layout Table cells are ing up - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hey, I'm having REALLY annoying problems with Dreamweaver's layout cells. I've used a table to set up my content area. On this particular page, I have a lot of cells that I'm using, but now they're ing up. Some have content in, some have CSS properties for background fill and border colour/width, and some are just fillers with a non-breaking space in it. When I try to resize the boundaries of any of the cells now, the whole table layout changes, making my second column about half as wide and separating it about 5 pixels from the table boundaries. If ...

  1. #1

    Default Layout Table cells are ing up

    Hey,

    I'm having REALLY annoying problems with Dreamweaver's layout cells.
    I've used a table to set up my content area. On this particular page, I
    have a lot of cells that I'm using, but now they're ing up. Some have
    content in, some have CSS properties for background fill and border
    colour/width, and some are just fillers with a non-breaking space in it.
    When I try to resize the boundaries of any of the cells now, the whole table
    layout changes, making my second column about half as wide and separating it
    about 5 pixels from the table boundaries. If I click on cells in the second
    column and use my arrow keys (on my keyboard) to move it against the
    boundary of the table, the cell disappears - totally vanishes, along with
    the content! If I try to move it down, it just stretches the cell, messing
    up the table structure once again!

    Can anyone help me? Is there a setting that is automatically doing
    something to my table that I don't know about? AAAHHHH!!!

    Jason

    Jason Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Layout Table cells are ing up

    You are experiencing the woes of Layout View. Run away and never look back.
    Layout tables are a quick and dirty way (emphasis on the dirty) to make a
    layout. But the dirty part is the part that should make you run like crazy back
    to standard view.

    You are also experiencing the woes of dragging table/cell borders. Never ever
    EVER under any cirstances do this! This adds table/cell widths which are
    invalid and will not render properly in your browsers. if you want your
    cell/table to be a certain width, put content in it that width and/or shim it,
    or set it to 100%. Or you could use CSS, too.

    You are ALSO experiencing the woes of multiple colspans/rowspans. Look in your
    code and I bet you'll see col/rowspans of 3 or more all over the place. NOT
    GOOD. The more of these you have, and the more complex they are, the more your
    browsers are going to freak out when trying to render them. You don't need
    them. Don't merge or split cells if you can at all avoid it. I've never had to
    do it myself and I've been doing this a long time. There is nearly ALWAYS a way
    around it. Trust me. Using nested & stacked tables is the answer.

    Tables are very sensitive and IE is very forgiving. This combo will get you
    into a lot of trouble. Don't try to tame the table, it will never every happen.
    To make the table work for you, you MUST bow down to its crazy quirks and just
    let it do what it wants to do.

    nested and stacked tables. Go back to Standard View and NEVER go back to
    <shudder>Layout Mode</shudder>!!!

    DiMa
    --------------------
    WEB FORUM USERS: Please log on to the Newsgroup for quicker replies to your
    posts:
    [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url]
    For Answers, check here first:
    [url]http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=+group:macromedia.dreamwea ver[/url]
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/technotes.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/faqbase[/url]
    [url]http://www.dreamweaverFAQ.com[/url]

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/etiquette.htm[/url]
    DiMa Design > From Lines...to Designs
    [url]http://www.dimadesign.net[/url]

    "Jason" <jasonstrive.com> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    >
    > I'm having REALLY annoying problems with Dreamweaver's layout cells.
    > I've used a table to set up my content area. On this particular page, I
    > have a lot of cells that I'm using, but now they're ing up. Some have
    > content in, some have CSS properties for background fill and border
    > colour/width, and some are just fillers with a non-breaking space in it.
    > When I try to resize the boundaries of any of the cells now, the whole table
    > layout changes, making my second column about half as wide and separating it
    > about 5 pixels from the table boundaries. If I click on cells in the second
    > column and use my arrow keys (on my keyboard) to move it against the
    > boundary of the table, the cell disappears - totally vanishes, along with
    > the content! If I try to move it down, it just stretches the cell, messing
    > up the table structure once again!
    >
    > Can anyone help me? Is there a setting that is automatically doing
    > something to my table that I don't know about? AAAHHHH!!!
    >
    > Jason

    DiMa Guest

  3. #3

    Jason wrote:

    > Can anyone help me? Is there a setting that is automatically doing
    > something to my table that I don't know about? AAAHHHH!!!

    In agreement with DiMa.

    To be safe, you'd probably have to start from scratch with a new table.
    Maybe this will be of some help: [url]http://www.vendel.info/tabletut/[/url]

    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    [url]http://www.vendel.info[/url]

    Dan Vendel *GOF* Guest

  4. #4

    If you are going to start from scratch and eliminate all of your layout, why
    not try our product, Nested Templates and Menus, that uses Dreamweaver MX.

    You will get a web page that has its tables setup so that it stretches with
    the web page.
    Thus, no matter how the user has his/her display settings, the page will be
    able to wrap the sentences correctly. This product is in beta, but so far
    so good. The download is free.

    [url]http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/[/url]

    If anything, you will have something to go on via the demo web sites versus
    starting totally from scratch.

    decloak.com

    "Jason" <jasonstrive.com> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    >
    > I'm having REALLY annoying problems with Dreamweaver's layout cells.
    > I've used a table to set up my content area. On this particular page, I
    > have a lot of cells that I'm using, but now they're ing up. Some
    have
    > content in, some have CSS properties for background fill and border
    > colour/width, and some are just fillers with a non-breaking space in it.
    > When I try to resize the boundaries of any of the cells now, the whole
    table
    > layout changes, making my second column about half as wide and separating
    it
    > about 5 pixels from the table boundaries. If I click on cells in the
    second
    > column and use my arrow keys (on my keyboard) to move it against the
    > boundary of the table, the cell disappears - totally vanishes, along with
    > the content! If I try to move it down, it just stretches the cell,
    messing
    > up the table structure once again!
    >
    > Can anyone help me? Is there a setting that is automatically doing
    > something to my table that I don't know about? AAAHHHH!!!
    >
    > Jason

    dc Guest