Professional Web Applications Themes

LCD Monitor calibration - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am using a 17" Mitsubishi Diamond View DV172 LCD Monitor that I am trying to calibrate for use with PhotoShop Elements 2.0. The adobe gamma utility does not seem to work with this monitor because I cannot adjust the contrast and brightness in the first step to be able to see the gray square inside the black square. Does anyone have any tips on how I can best calibrate this type of monitor. Thanks, Gary Petts...

  1. #1

    Default LCD Monitor calibration

    Gary_Petts@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Guru's needed here.

    My newly purchased Dell gave me (?free) a 15" flat screen monitor. I assume that makes it an LCD.

    Calibration setting is crazy. I get brightnesses and colors all over the map, no matter how I try to set Adobe Gamma in Control Panel. Also some instruction ambiguities in operating Adobe Gamma.

    For example in the beginning they tell you to set contrast on the monitor to the highest level. They never tell you to reduce it from the 100% mark. Is this correct? Secondly, you are supposed to match the smaller square boxes with the outer rim boxes. In my case, the hest setting to the left of the sliding control doesn't change the setting enough to meet that requirement.

    On my earlier computer, I had a perfectly good 17" CRT which gave me no problems, and always seemed to have pleasant, reasonable display, which worked well for web pages, as well as print.

    Looking for an answer on Google I found the following article, which expresses my problem exactly, but gives no solution.

    <http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005WeF>

    Is there a way to adjust it manually, and forget the Adobe Gamma function?

    Please, what's going on? Should I just junk the flat screen and go back to my CRT? (Leaving less room on my work table.)

    Al
    Al_Millstein@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: LCD Monitor Calibration

    Good morning Al. I am not a guru but I will share my experience
    with you. I have never been able to get my LCD to a point were I
    was satisfied. It is a widely held belief that CRT is the way to
    go for editing photographs. I have spent countless hours trying
    to get my laptop to match my desktop and it just will not happen.
    I ended up removing all photo software from the laptop and
    relegated it to a spare drive for storage and backup as well as a
    place to dump picture files while out shooting.

    A quote from PC magazine:

    If you work with graphics and need reliable image rendering,
    you're better off with a CRT. That's because liquid crystal cells
    do not show consistent brightness and color shades as your
    viewing angle shifts. Manufacturers have addressed this problem,
    but the fact remains that a CRT delivers a more consistent image
    from different angles.

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)
    <com> wrote in message
    monitor. I assume that makes it an LCD.
    over the map, no matter how I try to set Adobe Gamma in Control
    Panel. Also some instruction ambiguities in operating Adobe
    Gamma.
    the monitor to the highest level. They never tell you to reduce
    it from the 100% mark. Is this correct? Secondly, you are
    supposed to match the smaller square boxes with the outer rim
    boxes. In my case, the hest setting to the left of the
    sliding control doesn't change the setting enough to meet that
    requirement.
    gave me no problems, and always seemed to have pleasant,
    reasonable display, which worked well for web pages, as well as
    print.
    which expresses my problem exactly, but gives no solution.
    Gamma function?

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Al,
    I concur with jwh's comments above. The LCD displays may NEVER be quite as good as the best CRT displays . To effectively calibrate and profile the better LCD displays you'll have to spend some money on a profiling and calibration package, like Monaco EZcolor; Adobe Gamma is not designed for LCD displays at all. In fact, most LCD displays don't have the requisite adjustments available to the user to change the critical settings.

    The LCD will be fine for general purpose work, but leave it alone for graphics editting .

    :-)

    Brent
    brent_bertram@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    But, Al, I DO have space for a 15" LCD to use as a second monitor, so before you junk it, just send it to me! As a matter of fact, you might want to see if your new computer will support a second monitor. It would make a nice place for all of those Elements toolbars, leaving the screen of the CRT available for viewing your image. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry Beth. My wife complained to me from the beginning that she was jealous of my flat screen. She has one at work.

    Now, talk about jeolousy, what if I gave the LCD to another lady. What are you trying to do to me?

    jhjl1- Thanks for the input. It makes me realize I'm maybe not nuts. In addition to what you say, I find changes in the ambient light in the room work havoc with the screen.

    By the way, your posts a few days ago on image resolution were very helpful to me- I'm still working with it. And I really admire your
    web site.
    Al_Millstein@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Well it was worth a try. :(
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Beth,
    If someone mistakenly gives me a 15" LCD for Christmas, I'll send it right to YOU ! <G> I've got your address, look for it .

    :-)

  10. #10

    Oh, Brent, I'll be sitting out by my mailbox every day, beginning on the 26th of December! Thank you!
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Hi Al -

    I have a Dell laptop that I do my image editing on. My LCD is calibrated
    using the Intel software that came with the laptop. I'm in the camp that
    believes that to get the most accurate results with an "LCD" monitor you
    either buy into a costly color management profiler or you do like many LCD
    users and that's color manage by eye.

    I prefer to manage by my eye, after all I'm the only one who can judge if my
    printed images color match what I'm seeing on the LCD screen. I can
    confidently say that in *my mind*, my images are accurate to approximately
    95-98%, the most trouble I've had is getting Black and White prints to print
    neutrally, but I've worked on this issue with many a technique and I'm
    finally getting acceptable results. Now, I'm not saying that I didn't have
    to tweak, modify or alter my image production methods, quite the contrary;
    it took a costly investment in time, paper, ink, environmental adjustments,
    and patience to get to my current workflow. But, the result is that I'm
    satisfied with my current "color management" method and it seems to provide
    top notch results.

    LCD monitors are improving all the time, and I haven't used a CRT monitor in
    over 5 years, so I guess I've been assimilated into the idea that photo
    editing can be done on either CRT or LCD without compromise; but again, we
    all have our standards! Hope you get your LCD monitor going, and if not, I'm
    sure you'll get great results with your CRT!

    Good luck and Peace to you.

    Michael

    <com> wrote in message
    assume that makes it an LCD.
    map, no matter how I try to set Adobe Gamma in Control Panel. Also some
    instruction ambiguities in operating Adobe Gamma.
    to the highest level. They never tell you to reduce it from the 100% mark.
    Is this correct? Secondly, you are supposed to match the smaller square
    boxes with the outer rim boxes. In my case, the hest setting to the left
    of the sliding control doesn't change the setting enough to meet that
    requirement.
    problems, and always seemed to have pleasant, reasonable display, which
    worked well for web pages, as well as print.
    expresses my problem exactly, but gives no solution.
    my CRT? (Leaving less room on my work table.)

    Michael Guest