Professional Web Applications Themes

LCD protector film - Photography

Just wondering if there's any problems with using the LCD protectors on digicams (ie with adhesive etc) and whether they really protect from scratches. Thanks, Mike...

  1. #1

    Default LCD protector film

    Just wondering if there's any problems with using the LCD protectors on
    digicams (ie with adhesive etc) and whether they really protect from
    scratches.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: LCD protector film

    Sure they help protect from scratches. I could also wear a hard hat all
    day to protect me from falling leaves. Someday the hard hat might be
    useful, but I don't bother. I do bother with a helmet on my motorcycle. I
    don't bother with a "protective" filter for my lenses.

    It will degrade the image a little (at least in my experience) but not a
    lot. If it makes you fell better or if you have some special need (like
    protection from squirrels dropping nuts on your head) then do it. It is not
    likely to hurt.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "Mike Fuller" <com.au> wrote in message

    Joseph Guest

  3. #3

    I use acetate stuff like what's used for static window decals. It's
    cheap and sticks with no gunk.
    Randall Guest

  4. #4

    Mike Fuller <com.au> writes:

    Canon digicams have *really good* anti-reflection coatings on their LCD
    screens, which allow using the screen in fairly bright ambient light.
    A normal "screen protector" film has no anti-reflection coating on it,
    and reflects several times as much light as the Canon screen's coating.
    If the environment is not completely black, this will cause shadow areas
    in the image to have glare and unwanted reflections on the protector
    that would be nearly invisible with the unprotected screen.
    Essentially, the screen protector reflects as much light as an uncoated
    filter, and it isn't completely flat either.

    So you have to choose between better mechanical protection for your
    screen, and better image quality on the LCD.

    It would make sense for someone to make a screen protector with a good
    anti-reflection coating, but I've never heard of one.

    Dave
    Dave Guest

  5. #5

    "Mike Fuller" <com.au> wrote in message

    Thin plastic shhets have some value. The solid plastic covers (from
    www.daproducts.com) are better. Olympus puts similar solid plastic
    protectors on some of their digicams, but not all.

    Marvin Guest

  6. #6

    hrm, these 'da protector LCD protectors...what kind of adhesive do they use?
    will it be hard to clean?

    "Marvin Margoshes" <net> wrote in message

    > Thin plastic shhets have some value. The solid plastic covers (from
    > www.daproducts.com) are better. Olympus puts similar solid plastic
    > protectors on some of their digicams, but not all.
    >
    >[/ref]

    J Guest

  7. #7

    That's why I use acetate material like what is used for static cling
    decals...no gunk. And it keeps fingerprints and boogers off the
    screen.
    Randall Guest

  8. #8

    Do your acetates actually stay on the LCD? I've tried buying some vinyl
    sheets, they have fingerprints all over them and it's hard to cut it and put
    it on the screen w/o fingerprints!

    "Randall Ainsworth" <techline.com> wrote in message

    J Guest

  9. #9

    Years ago I bought some sheets at Staples, planning to print some
    decals on the computer. Never did print 'em, but they're designed to
    go through a printer.
    You'll have to squeegee (gently) the bubbles out, but mine's been on
    there almost 2 months with no problems.
    Randall Guest

  10. #10

    "J" <com> wrote in message
    use?
    <snip>

    The adhesive is already on the plastic shield, along the edges of one side.
    You just peel off the protective film from that side and apply the protector
    on the camera. The adhesive is goes on the camera body around the screen,
    not on the screen itself. I've never had reason to remove the plastic, so I
    don't know how hard it would be to remove the adhesive in that case. If you
    get finger prints on the plastic, you can clean it with some glass cleaner
    on a Kleenex. The plastic resists scratching quite well.

    Marvin Guest

  11. #11

    actually, one more question.
    Do you notice any decrease in screen visibility in sunny conditions?

    > use?
    > <snip>
    >
    > The adhesive is already on the plastic shield, along the edges of one[/ref]
    side.
    protector

    you

    J Guest

  12. #12

    When the camera is not in my hands I carry it with the lens toward my body.
    Long story short some rude puppy mother pushing through a line at Busch
    Gardens crunched her purse into my 10D making a small but noticeable scratch
    in the plastic cover of the LCD screen. That was enough for me. To make a
    protector for my Canon 10D I purchased a 1 foot square sheet of 1/16" Lexan
    and cut out a few 40mm X 47mm blanks polished the edges and applied a 5mm
    square ring of 3M double side adhesive to it. The Lexan is quite tough glare
    free and if it ever does get scratched the double side adhesive can be
    forced to release with a carefully applied Xacto knife making replacement
    easy.

    SP

    "Dave Martindale" <ubc.ca> wrote in message

    Splitpair Guest

  13. #13

    > actually, one more question.

    No, but then they could take the review screen off the camera and for
    the most part I wouldn't miss it.
    Randall Guest

  14. #14

    where did you get this Lexan?
    because my water bottle from Nalgene is made from that and it's very
    durable.

    "Splitpair" <net> wrote in message
    body.
    scratch
    Lexan
    glare

    >[/ref]

    J Guest

  15. #15

    Local shop that sells plastic sheeting. It cost $5 + tax for a 12"x12"
    sheet.

    SP
    "J" <com> wrote in message
    > body.
    > scratch [/ref]

    > Lexan [/ref]
    5mm
    > glare [/ref]
    replacement

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Splitpair Guest

  16. #16

    thanks! I'll have to find a place that sells it. I know Wallmart sells
    vinyl sheets but I don't know about Lexan.

    > > body. [/ref][/ref]
    Busch
    > > scratch [/ref][/ref]
    make
    > > Lexan [/ref]
    > 5mm
    > > glare [/ref]
    > replacement [/ref][/ref]
    good

    > >[/ref]
    >

    >[/ref]

    J Guest

  17. #17

    "Splitpair" <net> writes:

    Where did you find Lexan with an anti-reflection coating on it?

    Lexan is easy enough to find, but it's normally uncoated, and reflects
    about as much as uncoated glass (4% per surface).

    Dave
    Dave Guest

  18. #18

    "J" <com> wrote in message

    I haven't made a direct comparison, which would mean taking the protector
    off, I guess. In general, I have a hard time seeing the LCD display in
    sunlight, before I put on thee shiled and now. I've thought about a light
    shield for the LCD, but it seems rather clumsy.
     [/ref][/ref]
    they
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > The adhesive is already on the plastic shield, along the edges of one[/ref]
    > side.
    > protector [/ref]
    screen, [/ref]
    so
    > you [/ref]
    cleaner

    >[/ref]

    Marvin Guest

  19. #19

    It's not special Lexan however it has no more glare than the factory plastic
    over the LCD.

    SP

    "Dave Martindale" <ubc.ca> wrote in message
    news:bfc2vg$eli$cs.ubc.ca... [/ref]
    Lexan [/ref]
    glare

    > Where did you find Lexan with an anti-reflection coating on it?
    >
    > Lexan is easy enough to find, but it's normally uncoated, and reflects
    > about as much as uncoated glass (4% per surface).
    >
    > Dave[/ref]

    Splitpair Guest

  20. #20

    thanks!
    I'm just worried that if I put one of those plastic LCD protectors, my LCD
    will be hard to see.
    Right now, my S230 has the anti-reflective coating and in sunlight it's
    still visible!

    > I haven't made a direct comparison, which would mean taking the protector
    > off, I guess. In general, I have a hard time seeing the LCD display in
    > sunlight, before I put on thee shiled and now. I've thought about a light
    > shield for the LCD, but it seems rather clumsy.
    > [/ref]
    > they
    > > side.
    > > protector [/ref]