Professional Web Applications Themes

LCD vs CRT in NYTimes - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Heh, this debate is hitting news sites such as the NYTimes, now. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/25/technology/circuits/25howw.html?th (unfortunately, you have to register, but at least it's free) It always strikes me as kind of funny that the debate is getting louder, these days. I guess that's the result of LCDs becoming increasingly cheaper and popular. I agree with the part of the article that says that it's a personal choice, and I will feel sorry for those who choose CRTs if market pressures eventually make it impossible to buy one. (if it ever comes down to that, then I guess those of us who ...

  1. #1

    Default LCD vs CRT in NYTimes

    Heh, this debate is hitting news sites such as the NYTimes, now.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/25/technology/circuits/25howw.html?th

    (unfortunately, you have to register, but at least it's free)

    It always strikes me as kind of funny that the debate is getting louder,
    these days. I guess that's the result of LCDs becoming increasingly
    cheaper and popular. I agree with the part of the article that says
    that it's a personal choice, and I will feel sorry for those who choose
    CRTs if market pressures eventually make it impossible to buy one. (if
    it ever comes down to that, then I guess those of us who still have a
    CRT kicking around might suddenly have something surprisingly valuable)

    Vicky Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: LCD vs CRT in NYTimes

    Thanks Vicky. Great article. Now I know what NTSC stands for.

    Rich
    Richard Guest

  3. #3

    Great article, Vicky! Thanks.
    Barbara Guest

  4. #4

    I read the article. Interesting as it is, I do not get the idea of
    the "color triangle"...?? - Would someone please explain that
    assumiong that the reader has no background in dispaly technologies ?

    Thanks

    ZR

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:01:01 -0700, "Richard Coencas"

    ZR Guest

  5. #5

    The popularity of the new LCD's is certainly in evidence at the Dell site. I
    purchased a relatively low-end desktop for my daughter last month and a
    15-inch LCD was part of the standard package; this month, the LCD is a $200
    upgrade and they're on backorder.

    Chuck Guest

  6. #6

    "Vicky Bilaniuk" <ca> wrote in message

    Hmmm...I don't remember registering for their site, and I could read the
    article.

    Anyway, nice article. As an LCD convert, I can confirm that a) LCD's still
    aren't quite as good as CRTs for color reproduction, but that b) they are so
    close that the other benefits of the LCD monitor outweigh the drawbacks, at
    least for many people (myself included).

    I don't think CRTs are going to disappear any time soon. One company (I
    forget who) has developed a new CRT that is much thinner than what is
    currently manufacturered, which will help stave off the LCD onslaught even
    more. But CRTs have a better viewing angle, can be better under bright
    lights, do much better with multiple resolutions, and of course have
    smoother color reproduction.

    The multi-resolution thing alone is probably going to keep CRTs in business
    for awhile. The other stuff are things that will eventually be addressed in
    LCDs, but the "native resolution" issue that LCDs have works both in their
    favor and against (they don't do "multi-sync" very well, but when running in
    their native resolution, especially with digital video input, they are far
    more accurate than any CRT could be).

    Pete

    Peter Guest

  7. #7

    The Dallas Morning News Technology section today had a tip for Windows XP and LCD's. "With Windows XP, users have several ways to improve the way text looks, especially on LCD's. To get rid of the fuzzies & jaggies try the handy online tool at <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/> ".

    Barb

    p.s. trying to mend my ways after our little Mac vs. Windows spat yesterday... ;-)
    imacgirl Guest

  8. #8

    Who's going to volunteer to check out those new combo TV/computer monitors that Dell introduced?
    Beth Guest

  9. #9

    ya all do know that they make flat screen CRT's if it's the 'flat' screen that tickles your fancy.

    <http://www.save2much.com/buy/search/Compaq_17_Flat_Screen_CRT_Monitor_with_Speakers>

    ....with ' Coloreal ' technology....which i am currently using with my Compaq monitor and it rocks. I would like the new one i listed but will wait t'il next PC upgrade.
    JodiFrye Guest

  10. #10

    Jodi, I tried to e-mail you from my regular (rr) address; still no luck, I
    guess...

    :-(

    Chuck Guest

  11. #11

    "JodiFrye" <net> wrote in message
    that tickles your fancy.

    Flat is nice, but pretty much all CRTs have flat now. There are still
    geometric distortions on such displays, and in any case they don't address
    what is the other real benefit to LCDs: not only are they flat without
    geometric distortion, but they are also relatively thin and light. The flat
    CRTs still have a lot of depth to them, as well as weight.

    Pete

    Peter Guest

  12. #12

    I've had a flat screen CRT with my desktop Mac for over two years, and I really like it. I can tell a difference between using it and the standard monitors, but I doubt I could explain it. I keep hearing people talk about the flicker on their CRTs, but I can't detect it on this one. It's probably there, but it's virtually unnoticeable to me. Of course it is time to have the prescription changed for my glasses again. :)
    Beth Guest

  13. #13

    Yup. Depth and weight. Very helpful during earthquakes. :)
    Beth Guest