Professional Web Applications Themes

ldap DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is not yet implemented (type = 0xb). - ASP.NET Web Services

hi, i'm trying to make a query to a ldap server (version v2 or v3 doen't matter) with c#. the query works just fine but the problem is that i can't read the custom attributes/fields, since .net gives the following error: System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is not yet implemented (type = 0xb). after googling for a long time i found out that many other have the same problem like me but nobody has a solution for this. i would even be happy if i would be able to figure out how to implement handlers for custom fields, so ...

  1. #1

    Default ldap DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is not yet implemented (type = 0xb).

    hi,

    i'm trying to make a query to a ldap server (version v2 or v3 doen't
    matter) with c#. the query works just fine but the problem is that i can't
    read the custom attributes/fields, since .net gives the following error:

    System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is not yet
    implemented (type = 0xb).

    after googling for a long time i found out that many other have the same
    problem like me but nobody has a solution for this.

    i would even be happy if i would be able to figure out how to implement
    handlers for custom fields, so at least i can see them...

    i would really appreciate any, really any help on this topic...

    thank you in advance...
    m96 Guest

  2. #2

    My guess is that your LDAP Server is in LDAP v2 (MMS ?).
    When you call a LDAP v2 Server with ADSI or with DirectoryServices, you
    can't use custom attribute.
    The reason is that ADSI/Directory Services need the schema to expose
    attributes as object properties. Unfortunatly, LDAP schema is only published
    in LDAP v3. So, when ADSI find a custom attribute, it can't determine its
    type and raise an exception.

    On a LDAP v2 server you must use only standard LDAP attribute with
    ADSI/Directory Services . If you really need using custom attributes, you
    must call the native C/LDAP API (and it's not fun !).

    Lionel.

    "m96" <m96gmx.li> a écrit dans le message de news:
    [email]pan.2005.02.12.05.55.23.439556gmx.li[/email]...
    > hi,
    >
    > i'm trying to make a query to a ldap server (version v2 or v3 doen't
    > matter) with c#. the query works just fine but the problem is that i can't
    > read the custom attributes/fields, since .net gives the following error:
    >
    > System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is not yet
    > implemented (type = 0xb).
    >
    > after googling for a long time i found out that many other have the same
    > problem like me but nobody has a solution for this.
    >
    > i would even be happy if i would be able to figure out how to implement
    > handlers for custom fields, so at least i can see them...
    >
    > i would really appreciate any, really any help on this topic...
    >
    > thank you in advance...

    Lionel LASKE Guest

  3. #3

    hi,
    > My guess is that your LDAP Server is in LDAP v2 (MMS ?).
    the problem also occurs on ldap v3 servers like the free novell ldap
    server at [url]www.nldap.com[/url] port 80 for informations and port 389 for the ldap
    server. you can also create an account for authorized access. and even
    then it won't work....

    for example this is what i get from the server above for a search
    (cn=admin):

    objectclass := inetOrgPerson
    objectclass := organizationalPerson
    objectclass := person
    objectclass := top
    objectclass := ndsLoginProperties
    passwordrequired := False
    messageserver := cn=DEVNET-PUBLIC_SYS,o=NOVELL
    logintime := 2/4/2005 2:13:37 AM
    networkaddress := System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is not yet implemented (type = 0xb).
    nrdregistryindex := System.Byte[]
    language := System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is not yet implemented (type = 0xb).
    passwordallowchange := True
    adspath := LDAP://www.nldap.com:389/cn=admin,o=NOVELL
    equivalenttome := cn=bfjeldst,o=NOVELL
    equivalenttome := cn=jcox,o=NOVELL
    equivalenttome := cn=cseamons,o=NOVELL
    equivalenttome := cn=AClark,o=NOVELL
    equivalenttome := cn=FZhao,o=NOVELL
    sn := admin
    cn := admin
    acl := System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is not yet implemented (type = 0xb).
    acl := System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is not yet implemented (type = 0xb).
    acl := System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is not yet implemented (type = 0xb).
    acl := System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is not yet implemented (type = 0xb).
    nrdregistrydata := System.Byte[]
    > When you call a LDAP v2 Server with ADSI or with DirectoryServices, you
    > can't use custom attribute.
    > The reason is that ADSI/Directory Services need the schema to expose
    > attributes as object properties. Unfortunatly, LDAP schema is only published
    > in LDAP v3. So, when ADSI find a custom attribute, it can't determine its
    > type and raise an exception.
    >
    > On a LDAP v2 server you must use only standard LDAP attribute with
    > ADSI/Directory Services . If you really need using custom attributes, you
    > must call the native C/LDAP API (and it's not fun !).
    so that means you can not add handler for user specific types... that's a
    shame...

    thank you very much for your help...
    m96 Guest

  4. #4

    "m96" <m96gmx.li> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    >> My guess is that your LDAP Server is in LDAP v2 (MMS ?).
    >
    > the problem also occurs on ldap v3 servers like the free novell ldap
    > server at [url]www.nldap.com[/url] port 80 for informations and port 389 for the ldap
    > server. you can also create an account for authorized access. and even
    > then it won't work....
    >
    > for example this is what i get from the server above for a search
    > (cn=admin):
    >
    > objectclass := inetOrgPerson
    > objectclass := organizationalPerson
    > objectclass := person
    > objectclass := top
    > objectclass := ndsLoginProperties
    > passwordrequired := False
    > messageserver := cn=DEVNET-PUBLIC_SYS,o=NOVELL
    > logintime := 2/4/2005 2:13:37 AM
    > networkaddress := System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this
    > ADSVALUE type is not yet implemented (type = 0xb).
    > nrdregistryindex := System.Byte[]
    > language := System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type
    > is not yet implemented (type = 0xb).
    > passwordallowchange := True
    > adspath := LDAP://www.nldap.com:389/cn=admin,o=NOVELL
    > equivalenttome := cn=bfjeldst,o=NOVELL
    > equivalenttome := cn=jcox,o=NOVELL
    > equivalenttome := cn=cseamons,o=NOVELL
    > equivalenttome := cn=AClark,o=NOVELL
    > equivalenttome := cn=FZhao,o=NOVELL
    > sn := admin
    > cn := admin
    > acl := System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is
    > not yet implemented (type = 0xb).
    > acl := System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is
    > not yet implemented (type = 0xb).
    > acl := System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is
    > not yet implemented (type = 0xb).
    > acl := System.NotImplementedException: Handling of this ADSVALUE type is
    > not yet implemented (type = 0xb).
    > nrdregistrydata := System.Byte[]
    >
    >> When you call a LDAP v2 Server with ADSI or with DirectoryServices, you
    >> can't use custom attribute.
    >> The reason is that ADSI/Directory Services need the schema to expose
    >> attributes as object properties. Unfortunatly, LDAP schema is only
    >> published
    >> in LDAP v3. So, when ADSI find a custom attribute, it can't determine its
    >> type and raise an exception.
    >>
    >> On a LDAP v2 server you must use only standard LDAP attribute with
    >> ADSI/Directory Services . If you really need using custom attributes, you
    >> must call the native C/LDAP API (and it's not fun !).
    >
    > so that means you can not add handler for user specific types... that's a
    > shame...
    >
    > thank you very much for your help...
    Note that acl is not a property of the inetOrgPerson in the Active Directory
    schema. Didn't you try using the NDS ADSI provider instead of the LDAP
    provider?

    Willy.

    Willy Denoyette [MVP] Guest

  5. #5

    If you don't like System.DirectoryServices, you can get third-party LDAP
    libs for C#.
    eg
    [url]http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?ldapcsharp[/url]

    (updated last week)

    -Dino

    "Willy Denoyette [MVP]" <willy.denoyettepandora.be> wrote in message

> [...]
    >>> can't use custom attribute.
    >>> The reason is that ADSI/Directory Services need the schema to expose
    >>> attributes as object properties. Unfortunatly, LDAP schema is only
    >>> published
    >>> in LDAP v3. So, when ADSI find a custom attribute, it can't determine
    >>> its
    >>> type and raise an exception.
    >>>
    >>> On a LDAP v2 server you must use only standard LDAP attribute with
    >>> ADSI/Directory Services . If you really need using custom attributes,
    >>> you
    >>> must call the native C/LDAP API (and it's not fun !).
    >>
    >> so that means you can not add handler for user specific types... that's a
    >> shame...
    >>
    >> thank you very much for your help...
    >
    > Note that acl is not a property of the inetOrgPerson in the Active
    > Directory schema. Didn't you try using the NDS ADSI provider instead of

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft] Guest