Professional Web Applications Themes

lean webserver box - distro choice, and backup question - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi all, I'm just after a lean linux box to stick outside of my firewall and allow transferral of odds and ends between colleagues. By lean, I mean to run on a P120 with 16MB of RAM and a 500MB disk. Services-wise I can probably live with just the webserver, but it needs to run a file upload script too. (Yes, I'd rather have an ftp server, but some of the people I deal with are not that knowledgable when it comes to computers, so web's easier) Any recommendations for a good distribution to try that won't take me weeks ...

  1. #1

    Default lean webserver box - distro choice, and backup question

    Hi all,

    I'm just after a lean linux box to stick outside of my firewall and allow
    transferral of odds and ends between colleagues. By lean, I mean to run on
    a P120 with 16MB of RAM and a 500MB disk.

    Services-wise I can probably live with just the webserver, but it needs to
    run a file upload script too. (Yes, I'd rather have an ftp server, but
    some of the people I deal with are not that knowledgable when it comes to
    computers, so web's easier)

    Any recommendations for a good distribution to try that won't take me
    weeks of fine-tuning but is also pretty lean straight out of the box (the
    former perhaps rules out Slackware, and the latter Redhat)??

    Other issue is backup in the event of someone hacking the machine and
    trashing it. I don't care about any data that's on it as that'll only be
    transient, but I would like to quickly be able to rebuild the system in
    the event of a problem. I was wondering about just using dd to make a
    block-by-block copy of the whole drive to somewhere safe, which I can spit
    back onto the machine's drive if needs be. Does that seem sensible?

    cheers

    Jules

    Jules Guest

  2. #2

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:50:58 +0000, Jules <this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    Slackware Linux doesn't require an extremely powerful system to
    run (though having one is quite nice :). It will run on systems
    as far back as the 386. Below is a list of minimum system
    requirements needed to install and run Slackware.

    * 386 processor
    * 16MB RAM
    * 50 megabytes of hard disk space
    * 3.5" floppy drive

    Additional hardware may be needed if you want to run the X Window
    System at a usable speed or if you want network capabilities.

    "He flung himself on his horse and rode madly off in all directions"
    mjt Guest

  3. #3

    Jules <this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<this.yahoo.co.uk>...

    From what I understand, dd will copy the entire disk each time it's
    run. Which is fine if you only plan on running the backup one time,
    after initial setup of the server. But if you plan on keeping the
    backup in sync with the server, then it's much more efficient to use
    rsync:

    rsync -av --delete --exclude '/mnt/backup/' / /mnt/backup/

    This makes the disk at /mnt/backup/ an exact copy of /. You can swap
    it directly into the original disk's place and it'll work. (The only
    thing is that you'll have to boot from a CDrom or floppy one time, to
    run lilo on the backup disk once.)

    Of course, with a 500MB disk, running dd probably won't take all that
    long anyway...

    -Anthony
    http://nodivisions.com/
    Anthony Guest