Professional Web Applications Themes

Learnin Y'all Something - Indexable Flash Sites - Macromedia Flash

S'okay check this out: http://www.backwater-productions.net/_test_platform/Flares_Slow/index.php?loc=got-noob? But see you can change that end part : got-noob? to whatever text you like and it shows up. Flash does this nifty thing where if you add a GET variable onto it, it'll automatically be loaded into the Flash file as a variable. Kinda like nyah: : hello.swf?variablish=hooha So you would get a variable called "variablish" and its value would be "hooha". But then how am I getting it from teh URL since it's loading a PHP file and not a straight SWF file? Tres simple: : <?php $value = $_GET["loc"]; ?> Add that ...

  1. #1

    Default Learnin Y'all Something - Indexable Flash Sites

    S'okay check this out:
    http://www.backwater-productions.net/_test_platform/Flares_Slow/index.php?loc=got-noob?

    But see you can change that end part
    : got-noob?
    to whatever text you like and it shows up.

    Flash does this nifty thing where if you add a GET variable onto it,
    it'll automatically be loaded into the Flash file as a variable.

    Kinda like nyah:
    : hello.swf?variablish=hooha

    So you would get a variable called "variablish" and its value would be
    "hooha".

    But then how am I getting it from teh URL since it's loading a PHP
    file and not a straight SWF file? Tres simple:
    : <?php $value = $_GET["loc"]; ?>

    Add that up at the very top of yer HTML file and then just rename it
    from whatever.html to whatever.php

    Then, just add nyah to yer SWF src url:
    : src='main.swf?value=<?php echo $value; ?>'

    The first line of code at the top takes the GET variable from the url
    and assigns it to a variable called "$value", the second line of code
    adds that variable onto the SWF file's src url location.

    So now yer thinkin, "Wow...that's great...er...what can I use it for?"

    Indexing!

    Like, let's say you wanna go to my site, but you want to go to the
    video editing section. All I have to do is setup my SWF file to check
    the variable and if its value is say "video", then you can set it up
    to automatically jump to the video section, thus simulating an
    indexable site.

    But now yer probably think, "Well that's great Hat, but what if it's
    teh persons first visit and they want to bookmark a particular
    section, how the heck are they gonna know what yer variables values
    are?"

    They don't have to!

    Just reload the SWF file!

    Make your navigation buttons like nyah:
    : getURL("index.php?loc=video","_self");

    Since the SWF file is already loaded into their browser cache it'll
    reload instantly and go directly to the right section with the URL
    changed.

    And THAT my friends is how you create an indexable Flash site.

    You can also use that other method where you create a whole bunch of
    separate index files and reload different SWF files into each one but
    uh...well that'd be a heck of a mess, would require a LOT more work
    and you would wind up with a significant level of BLOAT.
    Onideus Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Learnin Y'all Something - Indexable Flash Sites

    Also note, named anchors give a similar functionality. You can navigate
    with http://www.mysite.com#index .. all you need is to set your frame labels
    an anchors, and use the appropriate HTML. SWiSHmax will generate the
    appropriate HTML for you if you use named anchors, in Flash you have to
    select the appropriate template in your publish settings.

    Named anchors do have a problem if your movie jumps about within the scene
    timelines .. its really only suitable for linear main timelines (but you can
    loop and jump about as much as you want in movieclips/sprites.

    They have an advantage that they require no code in you FLA/SWI file to
    implement.
    --
    Jeckyl

    Jeckyl Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>, Onideus Mad
    Hatter took the hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh
    Wow"...

    Passing parameters, you goofball. Durrrr. It's called a 'query string'.
    It's just another way to pass data to the server side program. If you're
    not submitting that data via post and get requests, you're passing it
    that way. ?is the start of the string, and you can pass more than one
    parameter, which is why you see big long strings of
    blah=woof&woof=yourmom&soOn=andSoOn etc. etc.

    Yeah dude, mystical and magical.

    --
    trippy
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

    NP: "It's A Long Way To The Top" -- AC/DC

    "Now, technology's getting better all the time and that's fine,
    but most of the time all you need is a stick of gum, a pocketknife,
    and a smile."

    -- Robert Redford "Spy Game"

    trippy Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    In article <com>, Onideus Mad
    Hatter took the hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh
    Wow"...

    > Apparently so seeing as how it's used so very little...WITH FLASH
    > SITES.[/ref]

    Because most flash developers know how to use relative urls and how to
    import packages.

    --
    trippy
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30
    sTaRShInE_mOOnBeAm aT HoTmAil dOt CoM

    NP: "It's A Long Way To The Top" -- AC/DC

    "Now, technology's getting better all the time and that's fine,
    but most of the time all you need is a stick of gum, a pocketknife,
    and a smile."

    -- Robert Redford "Spy Game"

    trippy Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 03:11:17 -0600, trippy got out the hammer and chisel
    and etched in the wall:

    > Passing parameters, you goofball. Durrrr. It's called a 'query string'.
    > It's just another way to pass data to the server side program. If you're
    > not submitting that data via post and get requests, you're passing it
    > that way. ?is the start of the string, and you can pass more than one
    > parameter, which is why you see big long strings of
    > blah=woof&woof=yourmom&soOn=andSoOn etc. etc.
    >
    > Yeah dude, mystical and magical.[/ref]

    Actually, I believe he was referring to how to make the site accessible to
    bots, spiders and the average Joe who wants to bookmark a portion of the
    site, without having to duplicate the loading of SWF files.

    Makes sense.

    OTOH - blah=woof...?

    Seriously - back off the maui wowie.... :P

    --
    kai

    Free Compean and Ramos
    http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/46
    PerfectReign Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    yttrx Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    PerfectReign Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Max Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    PerfectReign Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    trippy Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    In article <individual.net>, PerfectReign took the
    hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh Wow"...

    > > Passing parameters, you goofball. Durrrr. It's called a 'query string'.
    > > It's just another way to pass data to the server side program. If you're
    > > not submitting that data via post and get requests, you're passing it
    > > that way. ?is the start of the string, and you can pass more than one
    > > parameter, which is why you see big long strings of
    > > blah=woof&woof=yourmom&soOn=andSoOn etc. etc.
    > >
    > > Yeah dude, mystical and magical.[/ref]
    >
    > Actually, I believe he was referring to how to make the site accessible to
    > bots, spiders and the average Joe who wants to bookmark a portion of the
    > site, without having to duplicate the loading of SWF files.
    >
    > Makes sense.
    >

    > OTOH - blah=woof...?
    >
    > Seriously - back off the maui wowie.... :P
    >[/ref]

    I stay up too late sometimes. Okay, all the time.

    --
    trippy
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30
    sTaRShInE_mOOnBeAm aT HoTmAil dOt CoM

    NP: "It's A Long Way To The Top" -- AC/DC

    "Now, technology's getting better all the time and that's fine,
    but most of the time all you need is a stick of gum, a pocketknife,
    and a smile."

    -- Robert Redford "Spy Game"

    trippy Guest

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Rev Guest
    Moderated Post

  16. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Rev Guest
    Moderated Post

  17. #17

    Onideus Mad Hatter wrote:

    I'm sure the competition's stiff at the Dairy Queen on 1674 NW 6th St in
    Grants Pass, OR.

    Drew Guest

  18. #18

    On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 17:22:37 -0600, trippy got out the hammer and chisel
    and etched in the wall:

    > I stay up too late sometimes. Okay, all the time.[/ref]

    Heh! That's why god created Monster and/or RedBull.

    --
    kai

    Free Compean and Ramos
    http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/46
    PerfectReign Guest

  19. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    PerfectReign Guest
    Moderated Post

  20. #20

    On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 03:42:30 +0000, Rev Turd Fredericks got out the hammer
    and chisel and etched in the wall:

    >> In any case, you reminded me -
    >>
    >> There's this guy who lives down the street from me. He's had a light blue
    >> Karman Ghia shell on a flatbed trailer attached to his pickup truck for
    >> like four years now. In that time, he's done NOTHING! I see his truck
    >> parked occasionaly at the stores and other places around town. Every
    >> Tuesday - street sweeping day - he parks it a block away to as not to get
    >> a ticket.
    >>
    >> About a year ago, someone egged the car (shell) and since then there's
    >> been this egg stain all over the rear.
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    > Is it just a shell or does it have a motor etc.?[/ref]

    I think it is just a shell. There are no seats, windows, wheels
    undercarriage, nothing.

    --
    kai

    Free Compean and Ramos