Professional Web Applications Themes

Learning asp - have a question - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I am working with a turoeial in thrying to learn how to set up a dynamic website and am having a problem in step 1. Unfortunately the book I am using doesn't mwntion what to do if step 1 doesn;t work - maybe someone can help me.... I installed IIS, I have my root folder as c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ - I copied the file I was told to copy into that root directory. Then I was given a url to type, (http://localhost/cosmo_root) and told if a webpage comes up then everything is fine. I copied the folder into wwwroot but instead of ...

  1. #1

    Default Learning asp - have a question

    I am working with a turoeial in thrying to learn how to set up a dynamic website and am having a problem in step 1. Unfortunately the book I am using doesn't mwntion what to do if step 1 doesn;t work - maybe someone can help me....

    I installed IIS, I have my root folder as c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ - I copied the file I was told to copy into that root directory. Then I was given a url to type, (http://localhost/cosmo_root) and told if a webpage comes up then everything is fine. I copied the folder into wwwroot but instead of a valid webpage i get the following error:

    You are not authorized to view this page
    You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

    If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the localhost home page.

    You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

    HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    Internet Explorer

    For the life of me I don;t know what is wrong or how I can fix this.

    Please - any ideas?

    Thanks.

    Donna

    CPCO Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Learning asp - have a question

    > You are not authorized to view this page
    credentials you supplied.

    try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone >number
    that may be listed on the localhost home page.

    It actually said "If you believe me..." ? Thats wierd. Anyways, save the
    file as test.asp then try http://localhost/cosmo_root/test.asp

    Ron

    Ron Guest

  3. #3

    I have been playing around with some settings and now I get this error - not sure if it is better or worse....

    The page cannot be displayed
    There is a problem with a program on the page you are trying to reach, and the page cannot be displayed.

    Please try the following:

    Open the localhost home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
    Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    HTTP 403.1 Forbidden: Execute Access Forbidden
    Internet Information Services

    Background:
    You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.

    More information:
    Microsoft Support

    CPCO Guest

  4. #4

    Make sure your server is configured to serve ASP files as index pages. There
    will be a list of typical index pages (index.htm, default.htm,
    default.shtm), add default.asp or index.asp to that list.

    Tony Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks now that I got PART 1 up and running I hit another error on part 2 -

    500.100 Internal Server Error ASP error

    What now?

    CPCO Guest

  6. #6

    let me further clarify. when I go to view live data set up in the web page I get the following error:

    HTTP 500.100 Internal Server Error - ASP Error
    Internet Information Services

    Technical information for support perssonnel

    -Error Type:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (ox80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet
    database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already
    opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to
    view its data.
    /cosmo_root/classifieds_tj123j7rw3.asp, line 8

    -Browser Tyoe
    MMHttp

    -Page:
    GET/cosmo_root/classifieds_tj123j7rw3.asp

    HELPPPPPP!!!

    I am so frustrated I could scream. I have run through tthe steps a dozen times to be sure I followed them correctly.

    Thanks

    CPCO Guest

  7. #7

    Jesus...I just went through a ton of this hell. There are all kinds of
    things you need to do to get this working that isn't doented in any one
    place I could find.

    Anyway....it sounds like you need to make sure the PERMISSIONS are set
    right. The user named "IUSR_your_machine_name" needs to have write
    permission.

    - In Windows Explorer, right click on the directory, then select properties
    and the security tab. Set write permission for 'Iuser_MACHINENAME' or
    'EVERYONE'. I'd suggest allowing all permissions for EVERYONE, but some here
    may argue the point.

    - If you don't see the Security Tab and you're running XP, first turn off
    'Simple File Sharing' from 'Folder Options' found in the Control Panel then
    the security tab comes up.

    Hope this helps

    Mad Dog

    "CPCO" <com> wrote in message
    I get the following error:
    times to be sure I followed them correctly.

    Mad Guest

  8. #8

    Make sure your server is configured to serve ASP files as index pages. There
    will be a list of typical index pages (index.htm, default.htm,
    default.shtm), add default.asp or index.asp to that list.

    Did you check with you server to make sure it is able to process ASP?

    I bet that is it.

    dan Guest

  9. #9

    The MDB is locked. Make sure Access and DMX are both closed, and try again.
    See if the .lck file goes away.

    "CPCO" <com> wrote in message
    I get the following error:
    times to be sure I followed them correctly.

    Les Guest

  10. #10

    Does this help:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Web_Languages/ASP/Q_20153322.html#6352753 ?

    Tony Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks.

    After much searching on the web I foud out that it was an XP Professional permissions problem which I have corrected.

    It's finally working as it should be.

    Thanks.

    donna

    CPCO Guest

  12. #12

    In article <bgrtlf$fe6$macromedia.com>, "CPCO"
    com says...

    Can you tell us what the problem was?
    Ran into the same thing myself recently and couldn't get it sorted.
    --
    | com | PKP |
    Jim Guest