Professional Web Applications Themes

Learning C++ for OS 9? - Mac Programming

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could recomend a decent C++ tutorial for OS 9. I know you're all probably wondering "why not OS X ?!?". Well, I don't have a copy of OS X on my mac at the minute and am having trouble convincing my parents to upgrade. lol. Anyway, I don't have much cash to spend on buying thick books, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any online tutorials. I've looked so hard for anything, but google just pops up a ton of stuff for OS X. Eventually, I intend to write an app ...

  1. #1

    Default Learning C++ for OS 9?

    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could recomend a decent C++ tutorial
    for OS 9. I know you're all probably wondering "why not OS X ?!?".
    Well, I don't have a copy of OS X on my mac at the minute and am having
    trouble convincing my parents to upgrade. lol. Anyway, I don't have
    much cash to spend on buying thick books, so I was wondering if anyone
    knew of any online tutorials. I've looked so hard for anything, but
    google just pops up a ton of stuff for OS X.
    Eventually, I intend to write an app to replace my version of MSN for
    OS 9. Microsoft have stopped writing updates for OS 9 and I'm gettin
    fed up with the lack of File Transfer etc. I was also wondering if
    anyone had any tutorials for this...Would I need to learn about socket
    programming or what? I really don't mind learning anything new and am
    willing to learn whatever necessary. I've already found many tutorials
    on the MSN messenger protocol so all I need now is something on C++.
    I'm used to programming on my PC in C++ and I dunno what changes there
    will be. I assume that the API will be considerably different so I'll
    need to learn about the Mac OS 9 API and how to open windows etc.
    Thanks a lot, DeShark!

    --
    DeShark

    DeShark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Learning C++ for OS 9?

    In article <codecomments.com>,
    DeShark <codecomments.com> wrote:

    C++ is C++. The language is the same independent of the operating system.

    I stongly advise you to acquire a legal copy of Codewarrior Pro 8 for
    Mac OS. (The current version, Pro 9, requires OS X). metrowerks.com used
    to have an inexpensive academic version, acailable to students, that
    differed from the full version only in the license. Contact
    metrowerks.com

    It comes with an application development class library (in source code
    form) called PowerPlant that runs on 9 and X, and includes an example
    program that does ftp and http. It has tons of doentation in pdf
    form. Start with "The PowerPlant Book".

    Metrowerks also hosts a contributed class archive of useful source code:

    <http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Support/powerplant/>

    All of the OS 9 doentation is still online on Apple's web site,
    starting from the root page of:

    <http://developer.apple.com/doentation/macos8/mac8.html>

    Apple has a useful page on programming on a Mac, aimed at Windows
    programmers

    mactech.com has the archives of develop magazine, which had some
    terrific articles on OS 9 and earlier programming.

    if you absolutely must not spend any money, then you need the MPW
    doentation. You might also look into wxWidgets (formerly called
    wxWindows) a Microsoft-Foundation-Class-Library flavored cross platform
    application development class library.

    David Phillip Oster
    David Guest

  3. #3

    hmmm...thanks for all that. Is it just me that finds the apple website
    confusing and hard to navigate? I just can't find what I'm looking for.
    And it all seems to be reference material. Barely any examples. I could
    do with some basic things to teach me how to open a window and write a
    message or anything simple that I can do with no prior knowledge. I
    can't find anythin at all anywhere. When I was lookin for windows stuff
    loads of other people have written tutorials on using the Windows API.
    And it would be easy to understand. I could do with something like
    that. Just to wet my feet into Mac programming.
    I dunno, any help is greatly appreciated!
    DeShark.

    --
    DeShark

    DeShark Guest

  4. #4

    "DeShark" <codecomments.com> wrote in message

    Gee, they recently improved it to make it easy to find stuff, too (NOT!)
    Making information available is definitely not one of Apple's strong points.
    On the other hand, 18 years ago I had a printed copy of the headers and some
    fairly basic notes in the back of the Turbo Pascal book, for the first few
    years.

    It doesn't help that Apple is trying so hard to get rid of OS9: information
    about OSX is easier to find, but often less complete/accurate. Be very alert
    for API's that don't exist under Carbon: the headers are pretty good about
    doenting this (don't trust the web docs.) Make sure you have the latest
    CarbonLib (1.6) installed.

    Look through the sample code: there's a lot of really good stuff there. Most
    of it is in the form of complete applications that you can build and then
    modify (my favorite way of learning stuff.) More and more it's OSX only
    though, and I wouldn't be surprised if the older code started disappearing.

    There are a few tutorials buried on the site, but you have to hunt for them
    and they're mostly OS X nowadays. I remember seeing one for straight Carbon
    (kind of like Win32 done right) that will look fairly familiar to you.
    Start at
    http://developer.apple.com/referencelibrary/GettingStarted/GS_Carbon/index.html
    and try to filter the OSX stuff (tip: when they mention XCode, Project
    Builder, Interface Builder, or Cocoa, it doesn't apply to you.)

    Be wary of references to MPW, which is still available (and free.) Unless
    you're already very comfortable building Unix programs from a command line,
    it's not worth the monumental learning curve for a dead end product.

    Get CodeWarrior 8. It's incredibly better than any of the free tools, and
    the academic version is identical to the full version (or used to be) except
    you can't distribute. PowerPlant is the de facto standard on Mac: much, much
    better designed than MFC's, very well supported, and comes with usable
    source code. Metrowerk's class archive is nice, though not equal to
    CodeProject. Having written Internet apps in pure Carbon, I very strongly
    advise you to get some kind of class library before starting your MSN
    project.

    Paul Guest