Professional Web Applications Themes

learning PHP - PHP Development

time waster wrote: > > Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP? > Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't explain > what else you can do with it. > Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by php. > What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello > world" or a name to the screen. > > thank you all very much. The best source is [url]http://php.net[/url] That has a ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: learning php

    time waster wrote:

    > Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    > Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't explain
    > what else you can do with it.
    > Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by php.
    > What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
    > world" or a name to the screen.
    >
    > thank you all very much.
    The best source is [url]http://php.net[/url]

    That has a full manual and many other resources, and is run by the crew
    that invented the language.

    Brian Rodenborn
    Default User Guest

  2. #2

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:29:11 GMT, Default User
    <first.lastboeing.com.invalid> wrote:
    >time waster wrote:
    >>
    >> Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    >> Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't explain
    >> what else you can do with it.
    >> Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by php.
    >> What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
    >> world" or a name to the screen.
    >>
    >> thank you all very much.
    >
    >The best source is [url]http://php.net[/url]
    >
    >That has a full manual and many other resources, and is run by the crew
    >that invented the language.
    >

    >Brian Rodenborn
    hotscripts.com is ok sometime's and of course google works fine
    warstar Guest

  3. #3

    I found that learning PHP is much easier to learn if you first ask yourself
    "What do I need get done". PHP is a very broad and covers a lot of ground.
    I started by passing variables from page to page to page and then learned
    that I could do it much easier using session variables. I suppose this is
    true for all programming languages really . . .

    -JD

    On 11/14/03 3:18 PM, in article [email]63earvcaulom8o6mdjpdnc5uocs0lkmtac4ax.com[/email],
    "warstar" <warstarNSA.ml> wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:29:11 GMT, Default User
    > <first.lastboeing.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> time waster wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    >>> Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't
    >>> explain
    >>> what else you can do with it.
    >>> Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by
    >>> php.
    >>> What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
    >>> world" or a name to the screen.
    >>>
    >>> thank you all very much.
    >>
    >> The best source is [url]http://php.net[/url]
    >>
    >> That has a full manual and many other resources, and is run by the crew
    >> that invented the language.
    >>

    >> Brian Rodenborn
    >
    > hotscripts.com is ok sometime's and of course google works fine

    [url]http://www.newsfeeds.com[/url] - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    Jamie Davison Guest

  4. #4

    I have been trying to learn PHP for months...and I am not geeting
    anywhere...I am too frustrated. I am going back to ASP.

    Tom

    Jamie Davison <jdbardavon.org> wrote in message news:<BBDAA4EF.19C4%jdbardavon.org>...
    > I found that learning PHP is much easier to learn if you first ask yourself
    > "What do I need get done". PHP is a very broad and covers a lot of ground.
    > I started by passing variables from page to page to page and then learned
    > that I could do it much easier using session variables. I suppose this is
    > true for all programming languages really . . .
    >
    > -JD
    >

    > On 11/14/03 3:18 PM, in article [email]63earvcaulom8o6mdjpdnc5uocs0lkmtac4ax.com[/email],
    > "warstar" <warstarNSA.ml> wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:29:11 GMT, Default User
    > > <first.lastboeing.com.invalid> wrote:

    > >> The best source is [url]http://php.net[/url]
    > >>
    > >> That has a full manual and many other resources, and is run by the crew
    > >> that invented the language.
    > >>

    > >> Brian Rodenborn
    > >
    > > hotscripts.com is ok sometime's and of course google works fine

    > [url]http://www.newsfeeds.com[/url] - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    Tom Smith Guest

  5. #5

    Tom Smith wrote:

    > I have been trying to learn PHP for months...and I am not geeting
    > anywhere...I am too frustrated. I am going back to ASP.

    Have you tried the resources at [url]http://php.net[/url] ?

    It seems hard to believe that anyone with any programming knowledge
    could have that much trouble with PHP, especially after trying for
    months. Of course, you could just be shilling for ASP, and haven't
    actually tried PHP at all.

    Brian Rodenborn

  6. #6

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:29:11 GMT, Default User wrote:
    > time waster wrote:
    >>
    >> Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    >> Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't explain
    >> what else you can do with it.
    >> Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by php.
    >> What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
    >> world" or a name to the screen.
    >>
    >> thank you all very much.
    >
    > The best source is [url]http://php.net[/url]
    >
    > That has a full manual and many other resources, and is run by the crew
    > that invented the language.
    >

    > Brian Rodenborn

    If you don't know it already, and you don't mind a bit more involvement,
    I'd recommend learning the basics of (straight console-mode) C++ first.
    It's the first thing I learned, and the concepts you'll pick up are
    invaluable in learning a lot of similarily-structured, or derivative,
    languages (like Java, JavaScript, PHP). You don't even have to get hardcore
    into things like * pointers, but knowing the structure and the
    Object-oriented themes helps immensely.

    If you're a ground-level PHP beginnner, you might try the ol' trusty
    Webmonkey, then (as mentioned) there's always PHP.net (if not a great
    beginner's resource, it will become an invaluable reference later on). If
    you have a good public library system where you are, don't forget to see if
    they have any relevant books. Never underestimate the power of O'Reilly.

    Good luck!

    -- Rudy Fleminger
    -- [email]spmmers.and.evil.ones.will.bow-down-to.us[/email]
    -- (personal replies should at least be mirrored to email)
    -- (include "Hey!" in the Subject line for priority processing)
    FLEB Guest

  7. #7

    FLEB wrote:
    > If you don't know it already, and you don't mind a bit more involvement,
    > I'd recommend learning the basics of (straight console-mode) C++ first.
    Yike. C++ is a huge language, learning that first would set PHP
    instruction back at LEAST 6 months. If ones goal is to learn C++, then
    by all means do so. It won't hinder development of PHP skills. However,
    much of C++ is nonapplicable to PHP, especially the Standard Library
    classes.

    In many ways, perl is a better intro.

    Brian Rodenborn

  8. #8

    Fair 'nuff.

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:31:07 GMT, Default User wrote:
    > FLEB wrote:
    >
    >> If you don't know it already, and you don't mind a bit more involvement,
    >> I'd recommend learning the basics of (straight console-mode) C++ first.
    >
    > Yike. C++ is a huge language, learning that first would set PHP
    > instruction back at LEAST 6 months. If ones goal is to learn C++, then
    > by all means do so. It won't hinder development of PHP skills. However,
    > much of C++ is nonapplicable to PHP, especially the Standard Library
    > classes.
    >
    > In many ways, perl is a better intro.
    >

    > Brian Rodenborn
    FLEB Guest

  9. #9

    FLEB wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:29:11 GMT, Default User wrote:
    >

    >>time waster wrote:
    >>
    >>>Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    >>>Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't explain
    >>>what else you can do with it.
    >>>Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by php.
    >>>What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
    >>>world" or a name to the screen.
    >>>
    >>>thank you all very much.
    >>
    >>The best source is [url]http://php.net[/url]
    >>
    >>That has a full manual and many other resources, and is run by the crew
    >>that invented the language.
    >>

    >>Brian Rodenborn
    >

    > If you don't know it already, and you don't mind a bit more involvement,
    > I'd recommend learning the basics of (straight console-mode) C++ first.
    > It's the first thing I learned, and the concepts you'll pick up are
    > invaluable in learning a lot of similarily-structured, or derivative,
    > languages (like Java, JavaScript, PHP). You don't even have to get hardcore
    > into things like * pointers, but knowing the structure and the
    > Object-oriented themes helps immensely.
    >
    > If you're a ground-level PHP beginnner, you might try the ol' trusty
    > Webmonkey, then (as mentioned) there's always PHP.net (if not a great
    > beginner's resource, it will become an invaluable reference later on). If
    > you have a good public library system where you are, don't forget to see if
    > they have any relevant books. Never underestimate the power of O'Reilly.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > -- Rudy Fleminger
    > -- [email]spmmers.and.evil.ones.will.bow-down-to.us[/email]
    > -- (personal replies should at least be mirrored to email)
    > -- (include "Hey!" in the Subject line for priority processing)
    Hello,

    There is a very good site which explains php and other possibilities
    (forum) but in french.
    This is [url]http://www.az-php.com[/url]

    OSIRIS Guest

  10. #10

    Default learning PHP

    Hello,

    I'm brand new to PHP, though I've done some programming before (Pascal and
    C++, not web stuff). I've looked through the "beginning PHP" course at
    about.com, but it is very difficult to get a grip on the language given
    that... they give no formal explanation for how to define variables (at
    least that I've found), the difference between print and echo statements
    (they seem to use both interchangably), etc. Some of the example scripts
    that they give have perl headers (I don't really know the difference between
    perl code and php code, I just know what the headers say)... all in all, it
    seems pretty sloppy.

    So, does anybody have a suggestion for a good resource for an amateur
    programmer to learn PHP? Preferably on the web--I live in Ukraine, and it
    takes a while for ordered books and such to get here. I'm particularly
    interested in using it to for website creation. Any help would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks a lot,
    Jonathan Christensen

    ---

    Jonathan Christensen Guest

  11. #11

    <Michael Vilain <vilainspamcop.net>> wrote in message
    > In article <c1nd5o$1kl366$1ID-221186.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    > "Jonathan Christensen" <dzhonatanhotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm brand new to PHP, though I've done some programming before (Pascal
    and
    > > C++, not web stuff). I've looked through the "beginning PHP" course at
    > > about.com, but it is very difficult to get a grip on the language given
    > > that... they give no formal explanation for how to define variables (at
    > > least that I've found), the difference between print and echo statements
    > > (they seem to use both interchangably), etc. Some of the example scripts
    > > that they give have perl headers (I don't really know the difference
    between
    > > perl code and php code, I just know what the headers say)... all in all,
    it
    > > seems pretty sloppy.
    > >
    > > So, does anybody have a suggestion for a good resource for an amateur
    > > programmer to learn PHP? Preferably on the web--I live in Ukraine, and
    it
    > > takes a while for ordered books and such to get here. I'm particularly
    > > interested in using it to for website creation. Any help would be
    > > appreciated.
    >
    > Depends on how you learn best. Some people can pick up a book, read it,
    > and do some of the labs at the end of a chapter, thereby getting the
    > skill they want. Some need someone to explain things in depth in a
    > classroom situation with labs and one-on-one attention.
    >
    > I learned all the web stuff from the O'Reiley books ([url]http://www.ora.com[/url]),
    > but your mileage may vary. I started with simple HTML, PERL command
    > line utilities to help my sysadmin job, a PERL CGI script for my web
    > site, then finally bought a PHP book plus the MySQL Reference to do a
    > full site with PHP.
    Thanks for the suggestion,

    I already know HTML (guess I should have mentioned that...), so that isn't
    an issue. I'm just looking for something to get me started... I've found the
    "manual", but that's a beast... what is it, 2000 pages?

    Actually, I've since found one series of tutorials that seems to be pretty
    good at first glance, at

    <http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/29>

    So I'll be working through those.

    Any other suggestions would still be appreciated, though.

    Jonathan Christensen

    ---

    Jonathan Christensen Guest

  12. #12

    Jonathan Christensen wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm brand new to PHP, though I've done some programming before (Pascal and
    > C++, not web stuff). I've looked through the "beginning PHP" course at
    > about.com, but it is very difficult to get a grip on the language given
    > that... they give no formal explanation for how to define variables (at
    > least that I've found), the difference between print and echo statements
    > (they seem to use both interchangably), etc. Some of the example scripts
    > that they give have perl headers (I don't really know the difference between
    > perl code and php code, I just know what the headers say)... all in all, it
    > seems pretty sloppy.
    >
    > So, does anybody have a suggestion for a good resource for an amateur
    > programmer to learn PHP? Preferably on the web--I live in Ukraine, and it
    > takes a while for ordered books and such to get here. I'm particularly
    > interested in using it to for website creation. Any help would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    > Jonathan Christensen
    >

    > ---

    Hello,

    This is een online course and its for free.

    [url]http://perl.about.com/c/ec/12.htm[/url]

    HTH

    J.S.
    John Smith Guest

  13. #13

    "John Smith" <johnsmithcisco.de> wrote in message

    > Jonathan Christensen wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'm brand new to PHP, though I've done some programming before (Pascal
    and
    > > C++, not web stuff). I've looked through the "beginning PHP" course at
    > > about.com, but it is very difficult to get a grip on the language given
    > > that... they give no formal explanation for how to define variables (at
    > > least that I've found), the difference between print and echo statements
    > > (they seem to use both interchangably), etc. Some of the example scripts
    > > that they give have perl headers (I don't really know the difference
    between
    > > perl code and php code, I just know what the headers say)... all in all,
    it
    > > seems pretty sloppy.
    > >
    > > So, does anybody have a suggestion for a good resource for an amateur
    > > programmer to learn PHP? Preferably on the web--I live in Ukraine, and
    it
    > > takes a while for ordered books and such to get here. I'm particularly
    > > interested in using it to for website creation. Any help would be
    > > appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot,
    > > Jonathan Christensen
    > >

    > > ---
    > >

    > Hello,
    >
    > This is een online course and its for free.
    >
    > [url]http://perl.about.com/c/ec/12.htm[/url]
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > J.S.
    Yes, I tried that... I referred to it in my original post. Unless I'm
    missing something, it's badly put together, with no real flow, little effort
    to really tell you how to do things (e.g. define a variable), PHP code
    examples interspersed with Perl code examples, etc.

    All in all, it's pretty sloppy.

    Thanks anyway,
    Jonathan

    ---

    Jonathan Christensen Guest

  14. #14

    > I already know HTML (guess I should have mentioned that...), so that isn't
    > an issue. I'm just looking for something to get me started... I've found
    the
    > "manual", but that's a beast... what is it, 2000 pages?
    Not really, the manual is not a beast when you know to use it. PHP Manual
    is one of the best written one I have seen.

    I will guide you, since you already did programming before in other
    language, it should not be a problem for you.

    Look in the manual for:

    II. Language Reference ([url]http://www.php.net/manual/en/langref.php[/url]) -- fast to
    read (some hours)
    Table of Contents
    6. Basic syntax
    7. Types
    8. Variables
    9. Constants
    10. Expressions
    11. Operators
    12. Control Structures
    13. Functions
    14. Classes and Objects
    15. References Explained

    Most that you need to know to "begin" will be there.

    I don't remember if it is in the language reference, but then learn to work
    with FORM, COOKIES, ETC. (look for _POST, _GET, _COOKIES) look only the
    header in the ([url]http://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.php[/url])

    I also highly suggest to download the CHM version
    ([url]http://www.php.net/download-docs.php[/url]) as it is easy to browse and good to
    have off the internet IMHO.

    If you look for a start for coding standard, look
    [url]http://alltasks.net/code/php_coding_standard.html[/url]

    You might also before all that, look very fast in the Simple Tutorial
    ([url]http://www.php.net/manual/en/tutorial.php[/url]) which actually talk about form
    handling.

    If you understand the basic of programmation, those should get you started
    and fast and the language reference should give you a good idea of the
    language philosphy, syntax, etc. After you just have to check the big
    header of the function group (in function reference) and know that they
    exist... dont go look at all the functions!

    Then practice.

    There is also a tutorial for php at [url]www.w3schools.com[/url], but I think it is
    very lightweight, but I never really looked at it deeply.

    I usually have some more ressource to give, but I hope those one will be
    good for you to get started.

    Enjoy
    - MickoZ

    MickoZ Guest

  15. #15

    You don't really define variables in php like in C++. Same as PERL they can
    figure out that $foo = 5 is an int and $foo= 'bar' is a string

    Kelly Guest