Professional Web Applications Themes

learning templates - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I read about templates on the website and in the dreamweaver book. I created a template, saved it as a webpage. Then I thought, to do another webpage I just use the current template, but when I changed the existing webpage I was asked "do I want to save it as a template?" Anyhow, I am confused now about templates. In the dreamweaver x it has several choices for saving templates, and they are confusing since I can't find an explanation for them anywhere. I am trying to make my website easier and faster to maintain, but first I need ...

  1. #1

    Default learning templates

    I read about templates on the website and in the dreamweaver book. I created a template, saved it as a webpage. Then I thought, to do another webpage I just use the current template, but when I changed the existing webpage I was asked "do I want to save it as a template?" Anyhow, I am confused now about templates. In the dreamweaver x it has several choices for saving templates, and they are confusing since I can't find an explanation for them anywhere.

    I am trying to make my website easier and faster to maintain, but first I need to understand templates. The choices to save are:

    1. editable region, 2. optional region, 3. repeating region 4. edible optional region, 5. repeating region. Would someone please explain all of these and how to efficiently use them with templates.

    website: http://www.msfinancialsavvy.com

    Referring URLs
    http://www.msfinancialsavvy.com

    MsFinancialSavvy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: learning templates

    Dreamweaver's F1 help is pretty complete in its treatment of these early
    steps. The fundamentals are this -

    1. Create a page with layout and content, and save it as a template (in DMX
    you can create a template page from the beginning allowing you to skip the
    next step)
    2. Add editable (or other) reagions to the page
    3. Save it again
    4. Spawn child pages from the template you just created by using FILE | New
    From Template (DW4 and below) or FILE | New > Templates > Site > Template
    name > Create (DMX)
    5. Add unique content to each child page's editable region(s) and save

    That's it.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "MsFinancialSavvy" <com> wrote in message
    created a template, saved it as a webpage. Then I thought, to do another
    webpage I just use the current template, but when I changed the existing
    webpage I was asked "do I want to save it as a template?" Anyhow, I am
    confused now about templates. In the dreamweaver x it has several choices
    for saving templates, and they are confusing since I can't find an
    explanation for them anywhere.
    need to understand templates. The choices to save are:
    optional region, 5. repeating region. Would someone please explain all of
    these and how to efficiently use them with templates.

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Ms:

    optional region, 5. repeating region. Would someone please explain all of
    these and how to efficiently use them with templates.

    I guess this means that you are not reading the F1 Help in DW. You really
    should, you know.

    An editable region is a region that will be editable on a template's child
    page, as opposed to other parts of the page that will not be editable on the
    child page. It is the heart of a templates functionality and should be well
    understood before using templates.

    An optional region is a region that may, or may not be shown on the child
    page, depending on the value of a template parameter that you can adjust on
    that child page. To use this efficiently, you will need to understand
    Template Parameters and how to modify them.

    A repeating region is a region that can be repeated one or more times on any
    child page, as you need.

    An editable optional region is an optional region that also contained
    editable content.

    A repeating region has already been defined.

    Please post back with further question. You have asked for a book here - in
    fact there is one that might interest you - check its companion site -

    http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  4. #4

    Here is our commercial solution using templates that gives a *practical*
    look at what can be done with MX templates. Free evaluation download.

    http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/Templates.aspx

    dc
    decloak, Inc.
    Multi-Navigation Templates and Menus
    http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/Templates.aspx

    "MsFinancialSavvy" <com> wrote in message
    created a template, saved it as a webpage. Then I thought, to do another
    webpage I just use the current template, but when I changed the existing
    webpage I was asked "do I want to save it as a template?" Anyhow, I am
    confused now about templates. In the dreamweaver x it has several choices
    for saving templates, and they are confusing since I can't find an
    explanation for them anywhere.
    need to understand templates. The choices to save are:
    optional region, 5. repeating region. Would someone please explain all of
    these and how to efficiently use them with templates.

    dc Guest