Professional Web Applications Themes

Left side tool bar missing - Adobe Photoshop Elements

The last couple days, when I open PSE 2.0, the vertical tool bar on the left side of screen is missing. Where did it go?...

  1. #1

    Default Left side tool bar missing

    The last couple days, when I open PSE 2.0, the vertical tool bar on the left side of screen is missing. Where did it go?
    Earl Alexander Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Left side tool bar missing

    Earl,

    Maybe it got closed by accident... try clicking Window -> Tools to see if
    that brings it back.

    Byron

    Byron Gale Guest

  3. #3

    Earl,

    Everyone seems to "loose" that toolbar when they first start with PSE.
    Double clicking the blue bar on top of that tool bar shrinks it so you have
    more workspace.

    In answer to your other question; PSE (Photoshop Elements) does not store
    pictures inside the program folder. All pictures are stored on your
    computer (probably inside My Doents folder) and can be opened from there.
    Just use file/open or the file browser and locate the folder where they are
    stored.

    I would suggest spending a little time deciding a good filing system and
    creating folders right away. For instance, fist a folder for My Pictures
    inside My Doents and then sub folders like family, friends, scenery....
    etc. You probably know to just open My doents/My Pictures and then
    click File/New and then click on New Folder, name it what you want and do
    another.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  4. #4

    Earl,

    Glad it was something simple!

    With regard to your other post: the regulars in this forum are at the top
    of the list when it comes to being helpful. Rest assured that the only
    reason it has no responses is because no one has anything to add. I know
    it's frustrating when it appears your request is being ignored, but the more
    esoteric the question, the longer you may have to wait until someone with
    applicable experience wanders by. For myself, I have never used the
    briefcase, so don't have a clue!

    Byron

    Byron Gale Guest

  5. #5

    Byron Gale wrote:
    > For myself, I have never used the
    > briefcase, so don't have a clue!

    Heh heh, with every installation of Windows I've ever owned, I always
    deleted the briefcase icon off of the screen because I had no idea how
    to use it. ;-) Sorry, Earl, but my guess is that few people here know
    how to use the briefcase.

    Vicky Bilaniuk Guest

  6. #6

    briefcase ??? Huh ? You lost me. Where is it ? Never seen it on my windows machine. I really thought he had Album or something like that and was posting on the wrong forum. Shows how much i know :)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  7. #7

    I thought he meant Yahoo briefcase... But what do I know, I just lurk here
    like a sponge.

    Rina

    "Jodi Frye" <lwsfryemybizz.net> wrote in message
    > briefcase ??? Huh ? You lost me. Where is it ? Never seen it on my windows
    machine. I really thought he had Album or something like that and was
    posting on the wrong forum. Shows how much i know :)

    Norina Guest

  8. #8

    > Sorry, Earl, but my guess is that few people here know
    > how to use the briefcase.
    That's probably true. The briefcase is used to keep files in sync when you
    are working with them in more than one system.

    You don't generally work directly with the files in the briefcase. You work
    on the files on the pc and syncronize with the briefcase.

    You can have more than one briefcase. Create one or use the one you already
    have. Copy the files you want to sync into the briefcase. move the
    briefcase onto rewritable removable media. When you put the removable media
    into the other system, copy the files from the briefcase onto the other
    system. Now you can work on the files.

    After you are finished working on the files, right click the briefcase icon
    and click on syncronize. The file names will be compared and updated
    versions will copy either from the briefcase or to the briefcase depending
    on which is more recent. When you put the media back in the original
    computer and syncronize, the disk based files will be updated if the
    briefcase version is more recent.

    If both computers are networked, you can used file sharing instead of
    physically moving the briefcase via removable media.

    As to Earl's original question re: briefcase. The way he is using it is
    unusual. It's not intended to be used that way. Since it's designed to
    syncronize files, it keeps track of computers, file names, and location.
    I'm not sure what will appear to be the name and location when saving
    directly into the briefcase from PSE.

    The briefcase is similar to a folder when viewed in the Windows explorer or
    another application. It should appear to have the same contents from where
    ever you view it. It sounds like he may possibly have created a second
    briefcase, I don't know. I would look at the paths to the briefcase from
    each location where he's viewing it.

    It's possible that his briefcase is corrupted. In that case, he should
    delete it and recreate it.

    I would recommend that he not use the briefcase unless he really does want
    to sync files on multiple machines. And even then, save the file to his
    disk first and then copy it into the briefcase.

    You can work with the files in the briefcase directly but I would create
    them outside and copy them in first so the sync information will be properly
    recorded.

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  9. #9

    Byron,

    Looks like we were both responding at the same time. <G>

    A while back, I was working on a project with about a 100 files and I needed
    to be able to work on them either at work, at home, or on the road with my
    laptop. I was able to use the briefcase very effectively to keep it all in
    sync.

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  10. #10

    Byron, I, too, used a briefcase file for work on occasion; haven't used it
    in several years, though. Talk about powers of observation - there's been a
    briefcase file on my desktop since I bought this machine and I've never used
    it and never noticed it was there...

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks to everyone who replied with the great information. I do not network with another computer or use it for work . I have just always used it to store photos same as I store them in PictureIt. Everything always stayed where it was suppose to and with the correct names until I installed PSE 2 a few days ago. (Purchased at Wallyword), not the free online version. With all the good advise, I have removed everything from Briefcase and deleted it from my system. I now have new folders in My Doents for what I need. Does seem to work better. Thanks to everyone.
    Earl Alexander Guest

  12. #12

    Earl, if you're going to be taking lots of pictures, you might want to
    consider a folder system that's logical and fits your needs. Mine - which
    was originated by my photo downloading software from Canon - consists of a
    separate folder for each day of shooting; for instance, today's folder would
    be called "2002-08-22" followed by a description of the event or place
    being photographed (for example "2002-08-22 Trip to Beach"). These folders
    are set up as subfolders to My Pictures.

    If you want software that will help you even more to organize your images,
    check into Photoshop Album!

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks Chuck, sounds like a good suggestion.
    Earl Alexander Guest

  14. #14

    thanks sir! you're my savior! ^_^
    God speed! :)