Professional Web Applications Themes

legalities - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I made a web site for a summer camp. Are we allowed to put photos of the campers on the web site, or must we get written permission from their parents/guardians first? What are the liabilities involved? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default legalities

    compudoc webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: legalities

    > I made a web site for a summer camp. Are we allowed to put photos of the
    campers on the web site, or must we get written permission from their
    parents/guardians first? What are the liabilities involved? Thanks.

    You'll want to ask lawyers that, not a bunch of web designers.

    Typically, the parents should have signed a contract that would have stated
    somewhere within the contracts that photos may be taken of their children
    and used for promotional purposes. If that's not in there, be SURE to check
    with a lawyer.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  3. #3

    "compudoc" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I made a web site for a summer camp. Are we allowed to put photos of the
    campers on the web site, or must we get written permission from their
    parents/guardians first? What are the liabilities involved? Thanks.

    Even though I **am** a lawyer, this is not my area of expertise. However, I
    took a class on travel journalism once and I understand from that that at
    least in print media you need a signed permission slip from any subject
    before you may publish his/her photo. Frankly I doubt there's a likely
    basis for a lawsuit, at least based on the common law I learned in law
    school, unless the photo infringes on one of the privacy torts/rights, but I
    guess the publishers themselves are just trying to keep their behinds
    covered.

    I'd get the permission if I were you, just to be safe. But then, I'm a
    lawyer! ;-)

    Bonnie

    Bonnie In Sacramento Guest

  4. #4

    Although US law does differ from English law I believe that there may be
    commonalities. The courts here ruled that papers did not need express
    permission to print images that were taken in public places and in groups,
    so I would think that the following could apply in the US, however I would
    think that aside from the legality there is an issue of whether are privacy
    rights that are involved.

    It seems to me that the simplest way to handle this is to have a clause put
    in whatever agreement that the parents sign when a child comes to the camp
    that gives you the right to use their images in group activities.

    --
    Regards

    Paul Whitham
    Valleybiz Internet Design
    [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]

    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]
    "Bonnie In Sacramento" <krokoaolNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > "compudoc" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > > I made a web site for a summer camp. Are we allowed to put photos of
    the
    > campers on the web site, or must we get written permission from their
    > parents/guardians first? What are the liabilities involved? Thanks.
    > >

    > Even though I **am** a lawyer, this is not my area of expertise. However,
    > took a class on travel journalism once and I understand from that that at
    > least in print media you need a signed permission slip from any subject
    > before you may publish his/her photo. Frankly I doubt there's a likely
    > basis for a lawsuit, at least based on the common law I learned in law
    > school, unless the photo infringes on one of the privacy torts/rights, but
    > guess the publishers themselves are just trying to keep their behinds
    > covered.
    >
    > I'd get the permission if I were you, just to be safe. But then, I'm a
    > lawyer! ;-)
    >
    > Bonnie

    Paul Whitham TMM Guest

  5. #5

    "compudoc" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    | I made a web site for a summer camp. Are we allowed to put photos of the
    campers on the web site, or must we get written permission from their
    parents/guardians first? What are the liabilities involved? Thanks.
    -------

    I was on a forum not that long ago where this question was asked. There was
    a definite consensus that permission had to be given for pictures to be
    posted on the web - particularly of children. There was mention that even
    in US schools - with regards to school sites - permission has to be
    obtained for *any* kid photos to appear *anywhere* on the web. Even when
    this permission is given, there is to be no indication of who the kid is,
    where they live etc - that is: any personal details whatsoever.

    I don't doubt that this is true - but even as a courtesy to the parents, I
    would obtain their permission regardless of the law.

    Nadia

    ---------------------------
    PerreLink Design Templates:
    [url]http://www.webdevbiz.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.perrelink.com.au[/url]
    :: Ecommerce & Content Management System::
    [url]http://www.yourvirtualstore.net/yvsa4.asp[/url]
    Enter "nadia" into coupon box if buying
    and receive a 15% discount !

    Nadia *TWBM* Guest